Change Now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Change Now

Reaction Score
And it's something I harped on endlessly coaching a 6th grade girls team. Yet none of our guys do it well. I will say, that as the ball handler approaches, Josh starts peeling away before he even has a chance to force a switch.
It is definitely something that should be taught early and often, and by the time these guys are in college it should be second nature.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Screens serve different purposes in different situations, so they are not all the same. If you have a slow shooter that needs help getting open, then you need a wide set screen designed to take out the defender. In a pick and roll, the purpose of the screen is to get the screener inside position on his or her defender, so all you need is a bump and a seal.

I don't like where we run our pick-and-rolls, because when the screen happens at the free throw line, there is going to be help defense on the lob to Carlton, making that a very tough catch for Carlton, who is not a premier athlete.

Reaction Score
New starting lineup needed before So. FL. and big shake up in playing time.
Only players who deserve pt after Cinn. and should be starting are Gafney (1) Bouknight (2) Adams (3) Vital (4) Akok (5). Know the numbers dont add up but its not time to be playing who you like but who will get you the W.The number indicates the position.
I am very disappointed with our preparation for Cin- they had us scouted and went right after our major weak links Gilbert and Carlton.
We can't afford to lose another game like this with our glaring weakness being exploited.
Must have 1 point guard responsible for how the team is run. That man right now is Jaylen Gafney.

Gaffney crapped his drawers the whole first half and besides that real nice left handed fast break wasn’t all that good. His D is not good and as of now hasn’t done anything to earn a start period.

Reaction Score
Do you think basketball begins and ends on the offensive end of the floor?

Gilbert was incredibly poor last night, and if as many people played and coached horrifically you want to single him out, fine. But he is light years ahead of where Gaffney is defensively. Light years. Bringing Gaffney is may make us marginally better on offense, but it's not going to make us a better team. Yet. Unless Gilbert plays like this every game (which to be fair he hasn't).

Same with Carlton compared to Whalley. Carlton made an awful, awful boneheaded defensive play to start the game, but the rest of it he played well in his 20 minutes. He defended. He blocked shots. He rebounded. Whalley gives you nothing but minutes to rest Carlton. He was totally, totally overwhelmed by very mediocre bigs on the defensive end.

If there is one thing I would fix after last night it wouldn't be the lineup (especially where all 9 guys who played were given plenty of opportunity to show they could do better than the other guys). I would make everyone watch not primarily how Cincy set picks and screens, but how the dribblers used them by actually dribbling closer to the man setting the pick or screen so that daylight opened up. If you want especially to blame the coaches for something, blame them for this. It can't be a point of emphasis to use your pick better because it's not that difficult.

Agreed. Always love AG's defense, but the problem I see there is you are now relying on three people to create scoring opportunities if AG and JC are in more for a defensive role. You could see a few times where AG had an open jump shot and he wouldn't pull the trigger. There was no presence in the paint last night. The times JC got the ball down low his footwork was incredibly sloppy and was extremely reluctant to put the ball on the floor to give him a chance to get position. It was always a lazy fade away hook and one handed tip attempts instead of getting a two handed rebound and going up strong.

For me it was just frustrating to watch them run the weave at the top of the paint and then when they wanted to set up a pick and roll, Cinci would hedge with their big and time stood still. Like, really? AG can't get around a 7 foot Center and JC can't cut to the hoop for a lob over the smaller defender?

Reaction Score
Desperate to put players on the floor who have earned the right to be there or who have shown the potential ability to do so.

They are certainly the 5 who provide the most hope going forward. Wish I could add Polley to that list because he is our best shooter in awhile, but the complete inability to rebound is baffling. At 6'9" or so, 3 or 4 rebounds per game should be nearly automatic. Vital averages double that at 6'2".

Reaction Score
Great assessment

Gaffney is a terrible on ball defender - at this point of his career - as are most incoming players. They are not taught this skill in HS/Prep school. He will get better but it will take time.
Whalley is a back-up not a starter.
DH may be a great technical coach but this team seems to be tactically inept. They play with no offensive plan, no strategy. Other teams run plays, pick and roll etc. UConn is offense that flies by the seat of their pants. Everything is instinctive. It makes you wonder what do they work on in practice - is it skills only?
When you play basketball you fight for position on both D &O. MM D principle front your man below ft line saw none of that too many times.On O we didn't fight for position could have gone backdoor to beat C aggression but no basketball sense or teamwork good enough for this. Got to have BB IQ.

Reaction Score
We need Akok at the top of the key more. He should be able to roll to the basket off a pick and roll and get lobs all day long and is quick enough to beat his man to the basket off a switch.

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball with my lineup. Villanova and Golden State do it. Why can't UConn?

Reaction Score
Vital and AG need to play bench minutes regardless of who starts. Wish it weren’t, but it’s time.
No scenario where vital needs to come off the beach right now. I think, naturally, that is the perfect role for him, but this (as currently constructed) cannot afford to have him not start.

Reaction Score
You need a point guard on the floor who is an extension of the coach and gets done what the coach wants done. Responsible for the outcome.(Gafney)Gilbert has to make the coaches system work or get sombody who can make it work. Maybe give him some better tools to work with? Maybe a change in system?Gilbert is not working out. That's why wholesale change is needed either the system or the players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom