Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd)

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
If the first round match ups "haven't been great" with #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3....I can imagine what #8 vs #1 would look like.

The problem with a very limited field like 8...is that with AQ teams...you might have much better teams not play for it.
Agee that the 1/8 and 2/7 matches could be ugly, and with AG teams, some of the "better" teams might not make it, but why then play the regular season. If the goal is for the most talented teams to be in the tourney, then why not just assign each team a rating like in a video game?

Reaction Score
In basketball, having one or two great players can have a team very competitive...and allow a minor program to compete fairly well.

In football...it just isn't that way. You have to have strength in many positions on both sides of the ball...

It is much more difficult for a lesser program to plow through a couple of top rated programs...Sure, a Purdue might beat an Ohio State on emotion occasionally...but also get pounded 63-14 by Auburn.

Reaction Score
88 teams. 8 eleven team conferences (regional). Every team plays every team in its conference every year (teams allowed 2 OOC games). Conference winners only go to an 8 team playoff. Money used to cover expenses for playoff participants, the rest split evenly among conference membership. This will help to eliminate the rich getting richer conferences.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
88 teams. 8 eleven team conferences (regional). Every team plays every team in its conference every year (teams allowed 2 OOC games). Conference winners only go to an 8 team playoff. Money used to cover expenses for playoff participants, the rest split evenly among conference membership. This will help to eliminate the rich getting richer conferences.

This idea is of course insane and I love it.

Please sketch out the 8 eleven team conferences :)

Reaction Score
Yeah...the CUSA winner goes and the #2 SEC and #2 Big Ten teams don't?

It would move from the best teams playing for it....to having teams participate because...you know...they did win a weak conference.

Reaction Score
Yeah...the CUSA winner goes and the #2 SEC and #2 Big Ten teams don't?

It would move from the best teams playing for it....to having teams participate because...you know...they did win a weak conference.
Why would you think the same teams would be in the new conferences?

Reaction Score
Why would you think that they wouldn't?

It would be a cold day in hell or Miami (take your pick) before the SEC or Big 10 split off their traditional powers.

I could see even more of a succession before that happens....a super FBS + league with just five conferences of 14.

And only thoose teams play for the championship (pretty close to is currently happening).

Reaction Score
I am just so damn tired of South Dakota State...winning 6 of last 7 FCS championships.

They need to stop that overloaded joke of a tournament...

LOL

uhhh...now 7 0f 8 last FCS Championships....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am just so damn tired of South Dakota State...winning 6 of last 7 FCS championships.

They need to stop that overloaded joke of a tournament...

LOL
Interesting take...If only it had something to do with the CFP.

First, SDSU finished #3.

NDSU has won - nay, earned - 6 of the last 7 FCS tournaments. "The [FCS] determines its national champion through a 24-team, single-elimination tournament.[66]...The champions of 11 conferences receive automatic bids, with 13 "at-large" spots..."

I am all about including as many programs as reasonably possible in the CFP. 24 may be a bit of over overkill, but there is little reason to not double, potentially triple, the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom