Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd)

Reaction Score
And...the season is also the playoff.

Football is not basketball...it is a 12 game regular season.

Every game counts...the playoff starts on opening day.

You must win...you must have a reasonable strength of schedule...and, for most, you must survive a conference CCG.
Every game counts. Unless you arent p5, then win every game and stuck in new years day bowls with no real meaning. Those 64 teams in the womens tourney do have a chance, if they didnt then and its always the same winner why didnt UConn win the last 2 years?

But no, CFB definitely gives a chance to everyone. Yup. Totally. Those 4 schools that fight it out for a title is alot more wide open then the 64 that do it for the womens tournament.

Reaction Score
Tell me this...when is the last time that a team, not named Uconn or from the Big East, and not a current P5 member, won the men's BB tournament?

The proof is the record...no real chance outside those limited parameters.

Reaction Score
Tell me this...when is the last time that a team, not named Uconn or from the Big East, and not a current P5 member, won the men's BB tournament?

Its hard to argue with a person who thinks theres more oppurtunity for different teams in a 4 team playoff than a 64-68 team tournament. And even if the same team wins it every year, which they dont btw, theres a CHANCE. Loyola was in the F4 for bball last year. They had a better chance at a title then a team who won every one of their football games for 2 years. But nah, you're right. Football gives a better chance. Not the tournament known for giving cinderellas a chance.

Reaction Score
And..it's not having a chance, like buying a lotto ticket, it is about the best teams in the country playing for it in a limited format.

They may not always look like they got all four teams right...but that is in hindsight after a poor performance.

Should UCF have played? Depends on what you value. They had 11 wins..they played the #88 ranked schedule.

But football is a demanding sport...add more games, more injuries, less recovery time...and the rich will get richer...the 3rd and 4th deep become more important...and who is deeper?

Heck, Bama would have to start a 4 star kid, maybe.

Reaction Score
A 64 team tourney in football is ludicrous...

The finalists will have played 7 more games after completing their 12 game schedule.

Reaction Score
Someday, they will go to eight games in the CFP....and folks will argue about #7 and #8 not being as worthy as #9 or #10.

And what is really going on? Some folks don't want the best to play...they really want automatic qualifiers.

Automatic qualifiers, in basketball, have teams playing that are not as good as teams not playing in some instances.

It's the old participation trophies...

Reaction Score
A 64 team tourney in football is ludicrous...

The finalists will have played 7 more games after completing their 12 game schedule.
Did i ever say 64 for a football tournament? No. You keep changing the argument. 8 teams is where it should be. And do i think UCF would have beat Clemson? Even with Milton, nope. But the point is they never even had a chance.

Paticipation trophies? Yeah those BBall teams that win their conference tournament deserve nothing! You're right billy! How dare UMBC think they could hang with ACC giant UVA....wait....nvm. And it seems most ppl agree 8 teams, 5 p5 winners and highest g5 with 2 at larges. But yeah we want every conference to have a rep in the football playoff.

Reaction Score
We want? Who is we?

Sure....just like the Atlantic Ten Champ, Big Sky champ Etc. can win the basketball championship?

You didn't answer my question...How many teams that are not current P5, not Big East. and not UConn, have won the basketball national championhip in the last 50 years?

ONE...UNLV under Tark

The rest have have provided interest, Sister Jean cinderella stories...but do not win.

The proof is in the record....Having a chance is a convenient fiction.

One could demand that stock Fiat 500s be allowed to participate in drag races next to stock corvettes...they would hold a much better chance than the have nots in basketball and football. The corvette could cough up an engine.

I like a meritocracy...the best teams in the country play for the football championship...regardless of conference.

Reaction Score
The 11-person CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners plus Notre Dame)

I am so sick of Notre Dame fudging everything college sports - they had a huge hand in destroying the Big East and will do its best with the ACC
They have the pull of a whole conference?
I wish the NCAA would relegate them to the A-10
I despise the school and who they think they are

ND didn't take this seat at gun point. Everyone associated with the playoffs wanted it there.

Hell, they even picked Jack Swarbrick as their spokesman to announce the playoff format.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I am just so damn tired of South Dakota State...winning 6 of last 7 FCS championships.

They need to stop that overloaded joke of a tournament...

LOL

Man. Give North Dakota State the respect they deserve. They'll definitely finish top 20 FBS Sagarin, maybe top 15.

Reaction Score
Man. Give North Dakota State the respect they deserve. They'll definitely finish top 20 FBS Sagarin, maybe top 15.

It was Sarcasm!

Man...give Alabama the respect that they deserve as well. Same deal...whining about Bama but not South Dakota State?

Reaction Score

I don’t get this argument. Where did UConn finish the regular season in 11 and 14? In a less inclusive system, UConn doesn’t get a chance to win those titles.

Reaction Score
I don’t get this argument. Where did UConn finish the regular season in 11 and 14? In a less inclusive system, UConn doesn’t get a chance to win those titles.

Well...include 64 teams...and the regular season doesn't count...does it?

That's why basketball has a one month season...March.

Reaction Score
Well...include 64 teams...and the regular season doesn't count...does it?

That's why basketball has a one month season...March.

I’m not saying it needs to be 64 but I think 8 makes sense. The regular season still matters but to more teams. Let’s be honest, Alabama is probably making it even with a loss. They don’t even need to play for their conference championship.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the 8 BEST TEAMS playing for the title.

I do have a problem with a great top 8 team on season performance being left out for a so-so automatic qualifier.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The 11-person CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners plus Notre Dame)

I am so sick of Notre Dame fudging everything college sports - they had a huge hand in destroying the Big East and will do its best with the ACC
They have the pull of a whole conference?
I wish the NCAA would relegate them to the A-10
I despise the school and who they think they are
My hot take: Notre Dame has the power it does because of Rudy and Indiana in basketball because of Hoosiers.

Reaction Score
Right...The schools of old, old football tradition...like Notre Dame, have a strong place in America's football conciousness (and Billy's stream of).

"Rudy" is only a continuation....by the by, 2018 was the 25th anniversary of the film.

Almost 100 years ago, Grantland Rice was immortalizing the Irish:

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again."

Rockne's "Win one for the Gipper" speech of 1928...with Reagan playing the Gipper in the 1940 movie.

Reaction Score
Signs are starting to show. You can get tix to the final for below face value on line. Guessing tv will be down too. The P5 dopes bought into the “need a national champion” hype when it was simply not necessary or even all that desirable. The debate about whether the SEC Champ was better than the B10 champ or Notre Dame would have been on every sports show this week. Now it is an after thought to whether Eli will start for the Giants next year in the northeast or the Packers will hire a coach with or without the qb’s approval in the Midwest or whether LA which had no teams for decades can support 3 going forward in the West.

Since there is no going back, though, I’d go to a 16 team playoff. Every league champ and 6 wildcards. That will be the end result though it might take 15 years to get there

Reaction Score
Good read:

>>Expanding to eight and ensuring the SEC keeps its lucrative championship game might mean simply adding a quarterfinal round to the existing system after conference title games. The downside to that model is that teams like Alabama and Clemson, which have reached the national championship game this season, would play 16-game schedules. That would be new territory for FBS teams.

Only five NCAA football teams have played 16 games in the past six seasons: Ferris State in 2018 (Division II, 15-1 record), Youngstown State in 2016 (FCS, 12-4), North Dakota State in 2014 (FCS, 15-1), Sam Houston State in 2014 (FCS, 11-5) and Towson in 2013 (FCS, 13-3).

“It was very challenging,” Towson coach Rob Ambrose said. “While it was a great experience for the kids and the university and the city of Baltimore, after being involved in this, to hear the NCAA pound the table for student-athlete welfare is impressively disingenuous.

“Now, if you want to really figure out who the national champion is, then this is the way to go about it. But I want to say that, the year that we did it, we played the same amount of games as the Baltimore Ravens. They’re professionals. They don’t go to class. They don’t have finals. We played 16, and that’s all through finals. So, there’s a big disconnect. What do you want to do? Do you want the kids to have a great educational experience? Or do you want to figure out who the national champion is?”<<

Reaction Score
I’m not saying it needs to be 64 but I think 8 makes sense. The regular season still matters but to more teams. Let’s be honest, Alabama is probably making it even with a loss. They don’t even need to play for their conference championship.
In fact last year that’s exactly what happened. Lost to Auburn so Alabama didn’t make the SEC tkutle game. But every game matters you know. Except when it doesn’t because they wanted Alabama.

Reaction Score
FWIW I’m with Ambrose on this. The 4 team playoff is bogus largely because it limits the field so extraordinarily. And generally the 1st round matchups have not been great. Both games this year were mismatches, last years were no prizes either iirc. The alternative is to create essentially a minor league with zero regard for academic and physical well being of the players, or just forget the “true” national champ nonsense and go back to the old system.

Reaction Score
If the first round match ups "haven't been great" with #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3....I can imagine what #8 vs #1 would look like.

The problem with a very limited field like 8...is that with AQ teams...you might have much better teams not play for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom