Change just one thing yesterday... | The Boneyard

Change just one thing yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
...replace McCombs with any of Caulley, Brown, Dixon or Todman and we DESTROY RU by 3 or more TDs.

Reaction Score
You can throw Frey in there too. McCombs will be the number 2 or 3 back next season. Mark it down.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There is too much hate for Lyle McCombs on this board. Altogether too much.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, and therefore he was kept to 8 carries. Not many running backs have good days against the Rutgers defense, since they are 7th in the nation against the run:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Thankfully, they suck against the pass, and Cochran tore them up. But we don't need to dog a player for having a bad running day against RU. Let's just enjoy the fact that we beat them by double-digits...

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
There is too much hate for Lyle McCombs on this board. Altogether too much.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, and therefore he was kept to 8 carries. Not many running backs have good days against the Rutgers defense, since they are 7th in the nation against the run:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Thankfully, they suck against the pass, and Cochran tore them up. But we don't need to dog a player for having a bad running day against RU. Let's just enjoy the fact that we beat them by double-digits...
Not dogging anybody. The post was meant to say how good the O was even without the quality backs we have had in the past,, and how good we COULD be if we had one of those guys playing for us now. Take out "McCombs" and add in "our current backs" if it makes you feel better.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not dogging anybody. The post was meant to say how good the O was even without the quality backs we have had in the past,, and how good we COULD be if we had one of those guys playing for us now. Take out "McCombs" and add in "our current backs" if it makes you feel better.

I hear what you're saying, but it just isn't fair to do that. You are comparing him to two guys who are playing in the NFL currently, as well as another two guys who played pro ball outside of the NFL. It's like saying, "Man, if we had Sio Moore and Kendall Reyes and Blidi and Gratz and Butler and Branch, we could have beat them by 28!" While it's true, it's unfair...

Reaction Score
OK. Take LM's carries, and give them to Max, and we go further.

Someone see's something that the rest of us don't. I don't get it. Max seems to always make more happen when given the chance. I'm glad he is finally getting some carries....albeit fewer than he should be...imo

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
OK. Take LM's carries, and give them to Max, and we go further.

Someone see's something that the rest of us don't. I don't get it. Max seems to always make more happen when given the chance. I'm glad he is finally getting some carries....albeit fewer than he should be...imo

This was only a true statement for the Rutgers game. You know that, right?

I'm glad DeLo is getting more carries and doing a great job for us, but the idea that McCombs gives us nothing is flat out wrong and has to stop. They had equal yards per carry averages against Temple and the Ville, and McCombs had higher averages for SMU, UCF, USF, and Michigan. Once again, too much hatin' on Lyle...

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that Lyle might be beaten down from the pounding he took from being sent predictably into the middle of the line time and time again last year? People need to ease up on the guy. There's a role for him in this offense. At the same time he's not the answer on kickoff returns

Reaction Score
I think McCombs is a good football player and very gutsy. That said, I don't think he's a workhorse back at this level and while he can be elusive, he is not explosive especially when hitting a hole. I can only assume he's returning kicks and punts because none of the younger guys are ready and Mack is coming off injury. He's sure handed, but there is nothing to suggest he can break a return.

He may already be the number two back now and I would not be surprised if he falls behind another back next season.

Reaction Score
Newsome is about the same size. Might have 10 lbs on him. Interested to see how He does at the next level.

Reaction Score
It's hard to tell with these films, but Newsome sure seems flat out fast. We'll just have to see if he can handle the physical side of this level of play. Maybe he ends up in the slot. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Adrien Peterson couldn't have gained yards on most of Lyle's carries yesterday. The line seem to collapse and the defensive line was all over Lyle before he could do anything.

I'll have to watch the replay to be sure. I like seeing Max out there as well, but outside of a few good runs, he got stuffed too.

Yesterday was all about taking advantage of one of the worst pass defense in the country. The run game got no rhythm and no one was going to have a big day.

I seriously doubt Lyle has regressed as a running back. He may not be a Heisman candidate but when given a fair chance he has performed well.

Like the QB, the 2nd string RB seems to be the best player at his position.

Reaction Score
My assessment of McCombs and the running game have nothing to do with yesterday.

Reaction Score
Newsome is about the same size. Might have 10 lbs on him. Interested to see how He does at the next level.

Newsome is a lot sturdier. A lot. Hate to hype HS players, especially state kids, but if you stood him side by side next to Lyle there would be a noticeable difference. Newsome could be a difference maker from the get.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Max needs to be the lead back. Lyles dances too much and can't break a single tackle. With this current line, he is not the type of back we need. Use him to change the pace with Max? Sure. But he cannot be the lead back.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Max should be the feature back because he get's positive yards and because of size, he moves the piles. Just a better back at this point. If you watch the games you can see the difference in the team and he seems to be getting better every week. McCombs goes down on first contact every time but I'd like to see him maybe in some space, throw him a swing pass and see what he can do.
Team is responding better with Max in mix a majority of the time. Give the ball to max and throw the ball to McCombs in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom