Chances of Joe Moorhead to UConn as new OC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chances of Joe Moorhead to UConn as new OC?

Chances of Moorhead to UConn as new OC?

• 1: Not in this lifetime

Votes: 88 55.0%
  • 2: Only as HC in waiting guarantee

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • 3: Only as the new HC

Votes: 37 23.1%
  • 4: Needs a job. Knows Edsall and recruiting territory

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Here is a good read about Joe. I am not sure how you keep 2 players from fighting so obviously more about his win-loss record. No chance we see him in the future at UConn.

Thanks for sharing. Moorhead sounds like a great person. Makes me want to root for him no matter what he decides to do.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JM, unfortunately, will not step on the Storrs campus or the Rent unless its with another team

Bulldog, post: 3385614
What in the world would leave lead you to think RE has a solid class coming in? This class is only solid by UConn’s ridiculously low standards.

Are you kidding? He has got some really fine looking athletes to commit to Storrs, the indy status and uncertainty. RE always had an eye for talent, it's his game coaching that is a question mark. This incoming class would look decent no matter the year/situation[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
And if UConn went from 2 wins to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game this coming season what would be the perception then?

No better than it is now. He doesn't need any more plaudits as a OC - people know about his capabilities in that role already. Thats what was the allure that brought the MSU folks to him after his stint at PSU

I suppose he’ll go from great OC to super great.

If he came back he’d have more to lose than gain by a long shot. He doesn’t need redemption, he didn't tank the State program.

Edit - However if that did happen i agree with @Hoophound jettison RE and get coin for JM.

Reaction Score
He would be better off joining a college or pro team as an “analyst” while waiting for an opportunity to open up next year.

UCONN is not an option and would be a horrible career choice.

Reaction Score
And if UConn went from 2 wins to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game this coming season what would be the perception then?
And if he won 3 or 4 what would be the perception?

Ex SEC HC do not take a coordinator job at any independent school not named Norte Dame. They probably don’t take it at any school with a losing record in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score

Ex SEC HC do not take a coordinator job at any independent school not named Norte Dame. They probably don’t take it at any school with a losing record in a P5 conference.
He lasted 2 years and he's being drug through the mud it sounds like at this point. How about a guy trying to salvage a career?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If only $3 million wasn't more than our total coaching budget (including the head coach).. the assistants combined to only $1.8M
As has been stated....he is still being paid by MSU and anything he gets in his new job will just reduce the $3mm. Bottom line...he makes $3mm next year no matter what. Not sure how long that lasts, but it would buy some time.

I don't think he would come here....but I don't think it's impossible.

Reaction Score
I think it's impossible, unless he is the head coach which would make it a slim chance. A P5 offensive coordinator job is probably his fastest route back to a P5 head coaching gig, vs being the head coach at a rebuilding independent. He's probably looking at a minimum 2-3 years before he could get back if he were newly hired to rebuild UConn, with the potential to have it take longer if he doesn't win enough, vs. spend a year as a coordinator and be at/near the top of a lot of lists next year...

Playing out the 10% odds that he'd entertain the offer... while Edsall has no buy out, Moorehead would still need to sign onto a a significant contract (as he'd want at least 5 years with low buyouts on his end) and see a significant increase in the pool of pay for his assistants. Even if he took a discount.. Moorehead's deal as a head coach would almost certainly have to be more money than the entire salary pool for the UConn staff currently... and he'd probably want to double that assistant coaching pool. The athletic department has shown no inclination to be willing to invest that level of support into the program.

Sure it's worth reaching out and asking "would you be interested," but I'm not holding my breath

Reaction Score
Randy didn’t take him to Maryland and PP demoted him. Probably has some fond memories of UConn but under appreciated

Reaction Score
Randy didn’t take him to Maryland and PP demoted him. Probably has some fond memories of UConn but under appreciated

Just another sad fun fact in the giant pile of sad fun facts that is UConn football (and Men’s BBall) right now. We’ve seen so much coaching talent come through here it would seem to be almost impossible to be where we are.

Reaction Score

I don't think Moorhead would come to UConn, but SEC head coaches that are fired do work at other jobs besides head coach. Here are some recent SEC head coaches and their next job:

Ed Orgeron: Ole Miss HC to NO Saints DL coach
Joker Phillips: Kentucky HC to Florida WR coach
Gene Chizik: Auburn HC to media then UNC DC
Jim McElwain: Florida HC to Michigan WR coach
Will Muschamp: Florida HC to Auburn DC
Barry Odom: Missouri HC to Arkansas DC
Chad Morris: Arkansas HC to Auburn OC
Brett Bielema: Arkansas HC to NE Patriots consultant
Derek Dooley: Tennessee HC to Dallas Cowboys WR coach

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And Breiner probably goes with him... somehow to ND.

Reaction Score
I don't think Moorhead would come to UConn, but SEC head coaches that are fired do work at other jobs besides head coach. Here are some recent SEC head coaches and their next job:

Ed Orgeron: Ole Miss HC to NO Saints DL coach
Joker Phillips: Kentucky HC to Florida WR coach
Gene Chizik: Auburn HC to media then UNC DC
Jim McElwain: Florida HC to Michigan WR coach
Will Muschamp: Florida HC to Auburn DC
Barry Odom: Missouri HC to Arkansas DC
Chad Morris: Arkansas HC to Auburn OC
Brett Bielema: Arkansas HC to NE Patriots consultant
Derek Dooley: Tennessee HC to Dallas Cowboys WR coach
That's my point. Not one of them went to less than a P5 team or the NFL. I will bet that every one of those pays more than Uconn pays for an OC. There are better options for Moorehead than OC at an independent school that has won a combined 6 games the last 3 years.

Reaction Score
As has been stated....he is still being paid by MSU and anything he gets in his new job will just reduce the $3mm. Bottom line...he makes $3mm next year no matter what. Not sure how long that lasts, but it would buy some time.

I don't think he would come here....but I don't think it's impossible.
This isn't the MLB. His $3M is a buyout (assuming that's what his buyout was.) He gets that regardless. Any income he makes on top of that is extra money.

Reaction Score
And Breiner probably goes with him... somehow to ND.

That I wouldn't assume. It's not clear that something under an OC at a P-5 school is a better path for Breiner than being an OC at UConn. It would depend largely on how he would think he could work with Edsall based on the fact that he -- bluntly -- has experience working indirectly for Edsall.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That I wouldn't assume. It's not clear that something under an OC at a P-5 school is a better path for Breiner than being an OC at UConn. It would depend largely on how he would think he could work with Edsall based on the fact that he -- bluntly -- has experience working indirectly for Edsall.
Depends on a lot of things..things we just dont know at this point. One thing that is rather consistent with both coaches and players; there is a strong tendency to take the P5 option, even when the coach or the player has less opportunity at the P5 level (like players choosing to be the fifth WR at a P5 forgoing the opportunity to be the #1WR at a G5). Just saying.

If Breiner is offered the OC position at UConn vs the WR Coach at ND, which does he take? Should be the former, but if he doesn't love Randy or had been told his WR title at ND is temporary (because your told you are on the fast track) and/or the money is even....then well who knows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m wondering at this point if a new OC is just not in the cards for us this year.. seems Edsall is keeping Giofre as the OL and OC coach for 2020.. there has been lots of movement with the other coaching staffs but none here at UConn except for Robert Downes leaving.
If Giofre can improve the play calling as an OC and make it more creative I’m ok with that..

Reaction Score
I’m wondering at this point if a new OC is just not in the cards for us this year.. seems Edsall is keeping Giofre as the OL and OC coach for 2020.. there has been lots of movement with the other coaching staffs but none here at UConn except for Robert Downes leaving.
If Giofre can improve the play calling as an OC and make it more creative I’m ok with that..

The administration has allocated peanuts to the program. I am sure they aren’t actively looking to improve quality and pay of coaching staff.

I think many on here still are struggling to grasp that a position coach for a P5 school is more appealing than a coordinator job here for many reasons.

Reaction Score
UConn is a huge step down for Morehead. Lou Marinelli at New Canaan more realistic
I do not like the idea of Lou Marinelli coaching at UConn. He was pals with big-time losing coach Paul Pasqualoni. Not an endorsement for the job. Marinelli is a decent high school coach and that's about it. If Marinelli wants to leave New Canaan, maybe he should go to someplace like WestConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom