Chances are ripe for two UCONN players to get All-American Awards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chances are ripe for two UCONN players to get All-American Awards

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In addition to how well Hebard does in the W, I think there is a legitimate question on Ionescu’s ability to step up to the next level as well. Don’t get me wrong. She is the NPOY, and one of the smartest and most efficient players I’ve ever seen. But at the next level, she will be challenged at both ends of the court matching up with players, night in and night out, that are quicker, more athletic and, in some cases, bigger. For instance, how would Ionescu do if she were matched up with Gabby Williams?

I am sure she will have transition issues but she will adapt. The important thing is to get the right players around her and a coach that can optimize her skills.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dunno. Larry Bird was no great athlete. He was just a great basketball player. First time I saw Ionesco was in the MickeyD game. She just stood out. I wanted her at UConn. I suspect she’ll do okay.
Yes, but Bird was 6’9”, playing the 3-spot on a team with Parish & McHale, so he was a size mismatch on smaller players, and if you tried to put a Big on him, he would step outside and knock down 3’s.

Ionescu reminds me of another great college basketball player from a number of years back: Ernie Digregorio. Ernie D was one of the most exciting and talented college basketball players I’ve ever seen. But when he got to the pros he couldn’t match up with bigger and more athletic players, and he unfortunately earned a new nickname, “Ernie No-D.”

We have more recent examples from UConn’s own backyard of great college players that are struggling to establish themselves in the WNBA due to limitations in size or athleticism. Mo, KML & Lou all come to mind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am sure she will have transition issues but she will adapt. The important thing is to get the right players around her and a coach that can optimize her skills.
Reminds me of similar comments about KML and Lou.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reminds me of similar comments about KML and Lou.

Well, Sabrina is at least as good as Plum. It took Plum time and she is still more inconsistent than I like at times but she is now an established starter and potential National Team player

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, but Bird was 6’9”, playing the 3-spot on a team with Parish & McHale, so he was a size mismatch on smaller players, and if you tried to put a Big on him, he would step outside and knock down 3’s.

Ionescu reminds me of another great college basketball player from a number of years back: Ernie Digregorio. Ernie D was one of the most exciting and talented college basketball players I’ve ever seen. But when he got to the pros he couldn’t match up with bigger and more athletic players, and he unfortunately earned a new nickname, “Ernie No-D.”

We have more recent examples from UConn’s own backyard of great college players that are struggling to establish themselves in the WNBA due to limitations in size or athleticism. Mo, KML & Lou all come to mind.
We’ll find out. Sabrina isn’t small. She’s also the best passer of that group. Meaning whomever guards her has to respect that. I hope she succeeds. A fun player to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In addition to how well Hebard does in the W, I think there is a legitimate question on Ionescu’s ability to step up to the next level as well. Don’t get me wrong. She is the NPOY, and one of the smartest and most efficient players I’ve ever seen. But at the next level, she will be challenged at both ends of the court matching up with players, night in and night out, that are quicker, more athletic and, in some cases, bigger. For instance, how would Ionescu do if she were matched up with Gabby Williams?

It's a valid concern. She really struggled against Didi Richards, but Didi is one of the top defenders in the country. Spacing should be better in the WNBA which suits her since she's a great 3pt shooter and it gives her more space to operate pick and roll. I think she'll be excellent but could take a year or two, sort of like Skylar Diggins. Her passing is top notch and I think she'll continue to rebound well. Scoring and defense might take a little time. Her sheer competitiveness and confidence will give her an edge that few players have. She's about as much of a sure thing as most of the other top players this past decade entering the league.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, Sabrina is at least as good as Plum. It took Plum time and she is still more inconsistent than I like at times but she is now an established starter and potential National Team player

She is a much much much better prospect than Plum ever was collegiately. Plum has some good skills but still hasn't found her niche in the pros. Streaky shooter with good overall skills but undersized. Sabrina just dominates in all areas as a guard. The only thing that can be compared between the two is that they both are Cali girls who played collegiately in the PNW.

Reaction Score
She is a much much much better prospect than Plum ever was collegiately. Plum has some good skills but still hasn't found her niche in the pros. Streaky shooter with good overall skills but undersized. Sabrina just dominates in all areas as a guard. The only thing that can be compared between the two is that they both are Cali girls who played collegiately in the PNW.
Plum played a lot of minutes to get those baskets. She isn’t in Sabrina’s league—well, she is but...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom