Championship Post-Game Notes & Quotes | The Boneyard

Championship Post-Game Notes & Quotes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very, very long. Below is a piece from the Coach Dan Hughes.

Postgame Notes & Quotes: Storm Win 3rd Championship In Franchise History - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

"Sue obviously, but Stewie was just amazing. She truly was the MVP of this league, she truly was the MVP of these Finals. God blessed me with an opportunity to coach her, and I will be forever grateful, because she is just a very special player in so many ways.

But there’s some untold stories here. Alysha Clark to me embodied Seattle basketball, the way she guarded, the way she went to the boards, the relentless nature with an intelligence about her. Amazing. And Sami Whitcomb. Sami Whitcomb battles, battled, battled, moved up the ladder in the Playoffs, and really, really impacted this basketball team in a big way.

Jewell Loyd turned her game from a scorer into a complete player. She helped us in so many ways in just different things that we did. So many others, but this was a very special team. This was a special night for them, and I just couldn’t be happier for the result of their hard work.

Q: I remember a conversation we had just after the lottery when you did not get Breanna Stewart. Obviously that was a long time ago and it was also not so long ago. I wondered how often you’ve sort of thought back to the many things that had to happen for you to go from that just about three years ago to today?

DAN HUGHES: Boy, I’ve thought about it a lot. I mean, you get to a point in life where you think you know what’s in the future, and then sometimes you have no earthly idea what’s about to happen. The one thing I will always treasure is when this opportunity started to develop, I looked at my wife, and she looked back at me, and her words were, you’ve got to do this, and boy, that was profound beyond belief, because being a part of this team, being a part — and I’m so happy — one of the first things I said to Sue Bird was I want to give you — be a part of a team that gives you another chance to win a championship. I remember when I took the job, I flew to see Jewell Loyd, I flew to see Stewie, and you could see the three of them had a bond that was going to develop, and develop it did.

To coach Stewie is just — I have been blessed to coach. "

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Q: What made Breanna Stewart and Natasha Howard so hard to deal with in this game?

MIKE THIBAULT: They’re really good players. I mean, I don’t have any better answer than that. I think Natasha Howard is the biggest difference between their team last year and this year on the court, and I think Dan Hughes made a big difference off the court. I thought he did a terrific coaching job. Defensively they had a better identity this year. But I think Natasha is just so active. She was the perfect complement to Breanna Stewart. The two of them learned how to play off each other. They’re both active and mobile, and Natasha Howard has a will about her to get on the boards and to move and cut. I got a chance to see her kind of up close in college when my daughter was working at Florida State, and you could just see how athletic she could be, it was just how long it was going to take her to figure out her role in the pro game, and she’s figured it out really well right now.

Not to take anything away from Stewie, she definitely earned regular season and finals MVP. But you have to give a lot of credit to Howard. Seattle doesn't win a Title, doesn't get to the Finals w/out Howard. She's the single biggest difference between last year and this year for the Storm. Coach Thibault definitely saw this. I think Minnesota is going to be kicking themselves for a long time for letting her go. She's clearly much better than Brunson now and probably is about as good as Brunson ever was.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
0429181329_zpsrcctar5x.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Hey @dogged1 , a friend put me on to this video and article. Some locker room festivities (see Stewie with a champagne flute in each hand!), nice player quotes and info about how to stream the parade on Sunday.

Watch Seattle Storm championship parade on KING 5 Sunday

Great video and article about one who is destined to be an all time great. But silly me, I still think of her as being to young to drink. Enjoy the bubbly Stewie, you deserve it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great video and article about one who is destined to be an all time great. But silly me, I still think of her as being to young to drink. Enjoy the bubbly Stewie, you deserve it.

You could really see the strain in her eyes before that 3rd game. She's tall but the shoulders don't match the wing span. Nonetheless she's right to matter of factly claim "I'm built for games like this." Remember when she played on the ankle and cried on the podium; yes its hard, very hard but so worthwhile. Okay to let a tear fall, just as this guy:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seattle doesn't win a Title, doesn't get to the Finals w/out Howard. She's the single biggest difference between last year and this year for the Storm. Coach Thibault definitely saw this.
Without Natasha Howard the Storm does not win the championship. She is the untold story here.
While I absolutely agree about the importance of Howard, I think Dan Hughes was perhaps even more important to the team turnaround. The chemistry probably does not work without him.

Reaction Score
While I absolutely agree about the importance of Howard, I think Dan Hughes was perhaps even more important to the team turnaround. The chemistry probably does not work without him.
I don't know if his coaching was that impactful. It definitely better than their previous coach (can't remember her name). But Seattle was exposed without Sue in the semi-final. He looked to completely lost control of his team. But the coaching change was honestly a huge reason why they were successful. He utilized the players better. I am kind of hoping Turner falls all the way down to 12. I think she's the players this team would need the most with their draft pick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't know if his coaching was that impactful. It definitely better than their previous coach (can't remember her name). But Seattle was exposed without Sue in the semi-final. He looked to completely lost control of his team. But the coaching change was honestly a huge reason why they were successful. He utilized the players better. I am kind of hoping Turner falls all the way down to 12. I think she's the players this team would need the most with their draft pick.

Dan Hughes biggest contribution was recognizing how well Natasha Howard would fit on the team and his desire to get her from the Lynx. I also think Jordin Canada will demonstrate her value and that must also count as part of Dan Hughes influence .

Get the talent and then get out of the damn way. :)

Reaction Score
Dan Hughes biggest contribution was recognizing how well Natasha Howard would fit on the team and his desire to get her from the Lynx. I also think Jordin Canada will demonstrate her value and that must also count as part of Dan Hughes influence .

Fair enough. I do remember hearing how he wanted Natasha, but he went with McBride with the 3rd pick. He really had a dream scenario. He retired, but came out to a team that just needed a few pieces different to be a title contender.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I'm very happy for him. Redemption, vindication, a life of hard work rewarded ... very impressive guy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Gotta say I disagree on Canada. Happy if it happens, but her game seems of a type we see often. Athletic helter skelter works to a degree in college, like Cuevas-? at SC, but only goes so far and some never shake those bad habits.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gotta say I disagree on Canada. Happy if it happens, but her game seems of a type we see often. Athletic helter skelter works to a degree in college, like Cuevas-? at SC, but only goes so far and some never shake those bad habits.

Her A-TO ratio is 2-1 so I think she has the desire to be a solid play maker as well as elite penetrator. Also, I think she is pretty good defensively. Of course, she relies too much on speed and needs to have better change of speed at this level and she needs to improve her shooting (mid range and 3-pt) but all those issues can only improve in time.

If you look at her college stats, she improved dramatically from year to year so I remain very optimistic. :D

upload_2018-9-17_19-49-25.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her A-TO ratio is 2-1 so I think she has the desire to be a solid play maker as well as elite penetrator. Also, I think she is pretty good defensively. Of course, she relies too much on speed and needs to have better change of speed at this level and she needs to improve her shooting (mid range and 3-pt) but all those issues can only improve in time.

If you look at her college stats, she improved dramatically from year to year so I remain very optimistic. :D

View attachment 34444

May it be so @eebmg.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

View attachment 34444
Jordin has room for improvement, but she has some nice tools. Speed can't be coached. She also is quick and gets a lot of steals. Her shooting percentages were good by her senior year, as was her A:TO ratio. Like Moriah did, Jordin needs to use her speed to her advantage and keep it under control. Her decision-making needs to improve, but she has Sue Bird to learn from. There is no one better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul