Championship indicators? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Championship indicators?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
FI'm trying to put together a list of preseason indicators that point to a championship. Things that I have come up with include:
  • Returning NPOY -- Stewie heading into her junior or senior seasons
  • 1 or more legitimate NPOY candidates -- Stewie heading into sophomore year or Napheesa, Gabby, and KLS heading into next year
  • 1 or more returning All-Americans -- I'm not sure if there's a big difference between this and the one above, but would anyone have thought that Mo had a realistic chance to win a NPOY award
  • #1-rated HS player(s), whether incoming or former.
Are there any other things you think should be included?

In doing a look-back, I am going to use:
  • NPOY
  • Future NPOY -- players who would be named NPOY in future seasons
  • All-Americans
  • Future All-Americans -- players would be named All-Americans in later seasons
  • #1-rated HS player(s)
Again, anything else you believe should be included?

I will probably do simple yes/no and also one that's weighted.

List of #1-ranked HS players that went to UConn (please let me know if I have forgotten any)

Nykesha
Shea
Tamika Williams
D
Ann Strother
Tina
Maya
KML
Stewie
KLS
Megan Walker[/QUOT
FI'm trying to put together a list of preseason indicators that point to a championship. Things that I have come up with include:
  • 1 or more legitimate NPOY candidates -- Stewie heading into sophomore year or Napheesa, Gabby, and KLS heading into next year
  • 1 or more returning All-Americans -- I'm not sure if there's a big difference between this and the one above, but would anyone have thought that Mo had a realistic chance to win a NPOY award

• NPOY
  • All-Americans
  • #1-rated HS player(s)

List of #1-ranked HS players that went to UConn (please let me know if I have forgotten any)

Nykesha
Shea
Tamika Williams
D
Ann Strother
Tina
Maya
KML
Stewie
KLS
Megan Walker

• NPOY
  • All-Americans
  • #1-rated HS player(s)

Nykesha
Shea
Tamika Williams
D
Ann Strother
Tina
Maya
KML
Stewie
KLS
Megan Walker
If you have a culture of winning that includes the best roster of players, the best coach and the best coaching staff at melding individual talent into a superior team then you need look no farther than Storrs for the most likely location for a title banner unveiling.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
3. Only two programs have had three first team all Americans in the same season. UConn is obviously one having done it multiple times. Which is the other?
Tennessee in '99.

I think last year was UConn's sixth time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Adding significant season-ending injuries is a good idea.
I don't think you can or should use injuries since you are talking about indicators for NC competition prior to a season starting and injures fall into the bad luck category of things that derail a team during the season but are unpredictable. You can use it as an asterisk for teams that defy your predictors but not as part of your formula, I would think.

Reaction Score
Why?

Louisville has been national runners up twice in the last 9 years; With two different sets of ballplayers. In their second run, they beat a Baylor team many, myself included, had all but anointed as champions.

Reaction Score
Did Stanford have Appel, Ogwumike, and Pohlen on the AA team in the same year? Or was it the Meeks at Tennessee?

As hard as it is to believe, neither Pohlen nor Pederson were ever All Americans. Your second answer is right on the money.

Reaction Score
If you have a culture of winning that includes the best roster of players, the best coach and the best coaching staff at melding individual talent into a superior team then you need look no farther than Storrs for the most likely location for a title banner unveiling.
Does your "culture of winning" mean you can't lose a few along the way?? Best coach and Staff?

If the culture of Winning means only lose a few ---Uconn , ND, USC in my opinion all meet your definitions---Best coach for ND is Muffet , for USC -Dawn, For UConn Geno---

The one thing, of which I'm unsure, is that Uconn has the best Staff--coaching associate/assistants/medical staff/ training staff.

Ask any one in Columbia since April--and they will tell you Dawn is the greatest--

I believe Uconn has the best roster, most experienced and talented. Geno obviously is the Greatest WBB coach in the world--his USA, UConn, Olympic record proves it--but I accept that ND, USC, even Duke (stretch) has a top coach in their own locker rooms.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Does your "culture of winning" mean you can't lose a few along the way?? Best coach and Staff?

If the culture of Winning means only lose a few ---UConn , ND, USC in my opinion all meet your definitions---Best coach for ND is Muffet , for USC -Dawn, For UConn Geno---

The one thing, of which I'm unsure, is that UConn has the best Staff--coaching associate/assistants/medical staff/ training staff.

Ask any one in Columbia since April--and they will tell you Dawn is the greatest--

I believe UConn has the best roster, most experienced and talented. Geno obviously is the Greatest WBB coach in the world--his USA, UConn, Olympic record proves it--but I accept that ND, USC, even Duke (stretch) has a top coach in their own locker rooms.
I would say "culture of winning" can be defined as 11 championships.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Suggest we quantify luck as "injury free"- as in minus for each starter missing games during the NCAA tournament. Examples would be Turner and Coates missing tournament games last year.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
When Geno says the team has a chance to be special, he doesn't just mean national championship-type good. He means undefeated and record-setting good. He has said that the returning 4 starters plus Azura makes this group special. By New Years, we'll have a strong sense of the newbies. Will Batouly, Meg, Mikayla, or whoever get major minutes?
Like discussing a no-hitter in progress, there's some superstitious queasiness in saying that this team could wind up 38-0 with a title No. 12 hanging from the rafters but gosh, Milford, I can't blame you for writing what so many of us are thinking. Now, it's up to this team to match performance to potential and get the job done. Early indications are this team is motivated to do just that.

Reaction Score
I remember that loss against Notre Dame in overtime where at the end of regulation (or was it a first overtime) one of their players hoisted up a three point shot that hit the rim, bounced straight up a couple of feet and fell back into the basket to tie the game as time ran out and gave them the opportunity to beat us. Happens frequently but that LUCKY shot situation happens a bunch. Just a matter of inches or less.
In such a game, the focus is always on the last shot. But in reality, its all the previous shots that actually determine the outcome. Perhaps when a team is up by 25 with 10 seconds remaining, THAT is what should be considered lucky. Being tied or down one with 10 seconds remaining and the ball is an unlucky position to be in.

Reaction Score
Like discussing a no-hitter in progress, there's some superstitious queasiness in saying that this team could wind up 38-0 with a title No. 12 hanging from the rafters but gosh, Milford, I can't blame you for writing what so many of us are thinking. Now, it's up to this team to match performance to potential and get the job done. Early indications are this team is motivated to do just that.
When we're driving down I95 and I say to my wife. "Wow, no traffic delays." She always says, "Don't say that!!!" I always tell her not to worry, I'm not all that omnipotent. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom