Champions League week 1 | The Boneyard

Champions League week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Hun jump out to an early 1-0 lead over the Brits in the head to head league challenge. Dortmund beats Arsenal 2 - 0 :). The Gooners were outshot 23 - 5 in the match.
Real Madrid throttled FC basel 5-1
Liverpool narrowly escapes with a 2-1 win over Ludogorets. All three goals scored in the final 10 minutes. Balotelli in the 82nd to put Liverpool up, Ludo ties it in the 90th minute, and Liverpool wins it in stoppage time on a Gerrard PK (cannot wait to see the replay).
A bit of an upset with Olympiakos over Atletico Madrid 3-2.
Monaco beats Leverkusen 1-0
Zenit St pete over Benfica 2-0
Juventus over Manmo 2-0
Galatasaray w/ a 90th minute equalizer to draw with Anderlecht draw 1-1.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Welbeck had a not so good game. So.. without even listening to TalkSport I am predicting that the Brits will be rubbishing him just days after they were second guessing LVG for selling him to Arsenal, only after he had a good game against Switzerland.

Reaction Score
The Fulham castoffs connected on the winning goal over Atletico Madrid. Kasami to Mitroglou.

How does that happen? You're not good enough to play for a team at the bottom of the British Championship standings, but you're good enough to score goals over the Spanish Champion and last year's UEFA Champions finalist? Mitroglou has 9 goals in his last 13 CL games, but not good enough for Fulham, and Kasami was a total master and composed out there.

Something tells me it is going to be a very long road back for Fulham, a team I started following when it signed Americans years ago. Well, those days are over. It may be that they drop yet another level of football this year. From the Premier to the Championship to Doom.

Reaction Score
The Fulham castoffs connected on the winning goal over Atletico Madrid. Kasami to Mitroglou.

How does that happen? You're not good enough to play for a team at the bottom of the British Championship standings, but you're good enough to score goals over the Spanish Champion and last year's UEFA Champions finalist? Mitroglou has 9 goals in his last 13 CL games, but not good enough for Fulham, and Kasami was a total master and composed out there.

Something tells me it is going to be a very long road back for Fulham, a team I started following when it signed Americans years ago. Well, those days are over. It may be that they drop yet another level of football this year. From the Premier to the Championship to Doom.

Fulham has a terrible absentee landlord owner and a toxic manager. Wish the old owner would just buy them back.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that the pair of cap & cokes I am having right now will provide me with insight as to Arsenal's bomb against Dortmund as the 2 to 0 result hides the fact that it was not even that close :mad:

Reaction Score
Not often a player makes the cross and the finish on the same play

Honestly a case could be made that he is the best player in the world at the moment. Looking forward to seeing how far he can take Wales.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was horrible by Arsenal yesterday. Dortmund is a decent team, but geez. They really need to get their act together. :mad:

Reaction Score
That was horrible by Arsenal yesterday. Dortmund is a decent team, but geez. They really need to get their act together. :mad:

Supposedly that wasn't even Dortmund's best.

Decent coverage by Fox Sports on both Champions Leagues. Still have a way to go before they are in the same stratosphere as NBC however.

Reaction Score
So glad WatchESPN is carrying the games today. I get to watch my team Roma. And I know Man City-Bayern is going to be a hugely entertaining game between two of the top, say, 4 teams, but I'll be watching Roma.

Reaction Score
Bale is in his prime right now, such a talent. He's one of the best players in the world today, and should he EVER learn how to use his right foot even a little bit he would be unstoppable. I've seen him miss easy scoring opportuinities b/c he tried to get the ball on his left foot rather than flick it on with his right.

Reaction Score
somewhat related to CL... if you haven't gotten the FoxSportsGo app (it is free), do it now. Great picture, and showing all Fox Sports channels live. I'm watching Bayern-Cty and Chelsea-Schalke (flipping between them) on my iPad while at the office.

Reaction Score
Roma's backline is so good it permits the forwards to press like crazy. They take a lot of chances out there. 5-0 over CSKA Moscow 50 minutes in.

Reaction Score
So after 2 days it's the Huns 2, the Brits 0, and they had 1 draw (in a match the Brits had to be favored in). Everton v Wolfsburg tomorrow to see if the Premiere League can save face.
Boateng with an 89th minute strike to push Bayern over City 1-0.
Schalke comes back to draw w/ Chelsea at Stamford Bridge
Barca with an uninspiring 1-0 win over Apoel Nicosia
Ajax gets a late equslizer to draw w/ PSG
Roma throttles CSKA Moscow 5-1
Porto blew out Bate Borisov 6-0
Athletic Biboa/Shakhtar Donetsk and Maribor/Sporting Lisobn both ended in draws.

Reaction Score
1410947496174_wps_10_Dortmund_s_Jurgen_Klopp_i.jpg

Jurgen Klopp channeling his inner Bill Belichick. Although I think I would much rather hang out with Jurgen since he probably isn't a . This guy will be the next badass manager on the world scene. Calling Dortmund a dark horse again might be insulting.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm happy that Roma dominated and that Juventus took care of business. It has been such an awful last couple of years for the Italian teams that I'm glad to see some semblance of competence in the Champions League again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom