Chadd Scott: "UConn is too much of an ACC school for the ACC to add it." | The Boneyard

Chadd Scott: "UConn is too much of an ACC school for the ACC to add it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How we are viewed as opposed to Ville:

"UConn already is an ACC school - great academics, marginal football and a smallish lukewarm fanbase located in an area dominated by professional sports."

"In adding the University of Louisville what the ACC sacrifices with the Cardinals' poor scholastic reputation it more than makes up for with the Cards' ascending football program, strong national athletic brand and large, rabid fan base"

Reaction Score
Dumb assessment. Our fanbase is not small. It extends all the way down to Fairfield County, which is NYC turf. There are even fans in NYC who have no direct link to UConn. Some say we have fans in Boston too. At least in basketball. We easily have more of a pull in TV than Louisville. Would be nice if some media members could get their heads out of their rear ends.

We definitely could use work in football. We were selling out before PP came along. Get people to sacrifice 20 hours of their lives a year to sit through 6 games a year. If we can become good consistently in football, we'll be fine there too. Football has become the national pastime.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that Louisville is second fiddle, by an armful, in its own state.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The failure of these writers to understand the facts is unfortunate and the fault of the administration.

UL fans are more fanatical, that's the only objective trait their program has over us. A greater willingness to make the program a dominant part of their lives. What I don't understand is why no one realizes they've maxed out. The fanbase can't get any bigger; they are what they are. They had one/two good years under Petrino followed by a bunch of empty seats under Krag, and this one overrated season under Strong.

It's more than we've done to date but a markedly better FB program, please.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think our fanbase may be maxed out to, it might even be receding. Something needs to be done to shake the place up.

We let others define us. And literally nobody in the media, save a writer or two from our own state did anything to support the school in the public dialogue.

The failure of these writers to understand the facts is unfortunate and the fault of the administration.

UL fans are more fanatical, that's the only objective trait their program has over us. A greater willingness to make the program a dominant part of their lives. What I don't understand is why no one realizes they've maxed out. The fanbase can't get any bigger; they are what they are. They had one/two good years under Petrino followed by a bunch of empty seats under Krag, and this one overrated season under Strong.

It's more than we've done to date but a markedly better FB program, please.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think our fanbase may be maxed out to, it might even be receding. Something needs to be done to shake the place up.

We let others define us. And literally nobody in the media, save a writer or two from our own state did anything to support the school in the public dialogue.

All it takes is one look at basketball attendance and UConn fans have to stop ignoring some of the issues. Blame the school's marketing as much as you like - we stopped going to the games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Nowhere close to being maxed out. Play and win meaningful games and we.double our fanbase easy. There are still.die hard MBB fans that don't follow the FB team. How is that possible?

Reaction Score
Nowhere close to being maxed out. Play and win meaningful games and we.double our fanbase easy. There are still.die hard MBB fans that don't follow the FB team. How is that possible?

Because here at UConn, its a sin to support more than one team. Why do you think we have so much FB vs MBB vs WBB?

Reaction Score

Good point. I think that some are resentful.

When I went to the Ramstein game, that was the first game I attended in person. Thats because I am never in CT and because I am football guy. Some people are either or.

Reaction Score
All it takes is one look at basketball attendance and UConn fans have to stop ignoring some of the issues. Blame the school's marketing as much as you like - we stopped going to the games.

I'll say this. I stopped going to mens ball games when I had to seat in nosebleeds at the XL because those were the only available seats. Then I get to the game and there are a ton of empty seats court side.

Those nosebleeds came via the secondary market and were not cheap. They seriously have to reconsider what they're doing as far as ticket policies. Make a choice, either you want to squeeze every last dime out your loyal customers or you want a packed house and an exciting atmosphere. Its clear were not getting both right now.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I'll say this. I stopped going to mens ball games when I had to seat in nosebleeds at the XL because those were the only available seats. Then I get to the game and there are a ton of empty seats court side.

Those nosebleeds came via the secondary market and were not cheap. They seriously have to reconsider what they're doing as far as ticket policies. Make a choice, either you want to squeeze every last dime out your loyal customers or you want a packed house and an exciting atmosphere. Its clear were not getting both right now.

They did that this year. I bought reduced season tix package for $15 a game.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I don't go to Men's basketball games anymore because it's just not worth the money.
And to add to noeynox's statement, the ones courtside who do show up are apothetic and seemingly fairweather.
Its easier to watch it on TV then trek to Storrs or get raped in Hartford for parking and concessions.

As far as football games, I make it a point not to pay in advance for tickets.
And when I do its through special online deals to put arses in the seats.
Like the $16.00 state employee tickets.

Usually I just grab a $10.00 one outide from someone who is stuck.
Or I get them for free from Season ticket holder friends.

I guess what I am saying is UConn will not get a dime from me until they put some quailty product on the field or court.

BTW - I am a Pats season ticket holder who shells out $117.00 a game.
That's a whole different story...

Reaction Score
I don't go to Men's basketball games anymore because it's just not worth the money.
And to add to noeynox's statement, the ones courtside who do show up are apothetic and seemingly fairweather.
Its easier to watch it on TV then trek to Storrs or get raped in Hartford for parking and concessions.

I guess what I am saying is UConn will not get a dime from me until they put some quailty product on the field or court.

Sorry. In the last four years prior to P's arrival we shared 2 conference championships and beat Notre Dame in South Bend, UVA, Baylor home and home, South Carolina in Birmingham, Vanderbilt and all the traditional eastern top tier schools of WVU, Pitt and Syracuse.

If by "quality product" you mean we can play with Florida and Alabama, then you are setting the bar where it can not be reached in the short or intermediate term and should quit pretending that your lack of interest is about UConn football when it is about you. If by quality product you mean can compete in the top tier of the football schools in our region of the country -- well, we've had it for a while now and you're just making excuses.

Reaction Score

Can't say I agree with quality product angle. Were two seasons removed from a national title in mens hoops. Our football has been decent notwithstanding Deleone.

My thing is don't try to bleed your fans for every possible cent including parking/concessions etc. I didn't know about 15 dollar seats because I've lost all interest in going to those games. Once you lose fans interest it isn't easy to get it back.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Pats have you just where they want you. $117 a game and real inconvenience. If that's what floats your boat, then go for it. Obviously you are a fair weather guy and if the Pats were 8-8 most years I doubt you'd be there. Be sure to tell Manuel to schedule Oklahoma, USC and LSU every year so you'll contribute. Better you send your Pats money to UConn and split it between academics and athletics. Geesh. You are, sadly, somewhat typical.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Sorry. In the last four years prior to P's arrival we shared 2 conference championships and beat Notre Dame in South Bend, UVA, Baylor home and home, South Carolina in Birmingham, Vanderbilt and all the traditional eastern top tier schools of WVU, Pitt and Syracuse.

If by "quality product" you mean we can play with Florida and Alabama, then you are setting the bar where it can not be reached in the short or intermediate term and should quit pretending that your lack of interest is about UConn football when it is about you. If by quality product you mean can compete in the top tier of the football schools in our region of the country -- well, we've had it for a while now and you're just making excuses.

I agree with this but, it was clear early the schedule this year was going to suck, losing against that schedule made it worse. Next year's schedule outside of Michigan is going to #suckharder and I'm only hopeful the record will be better.

2014 is a complete mystery but the AD isn't doing the program any favors by not booking quality opponents home or away. What we (I) need to maintain enthusiasm for the program is some assurance that what I'm paying for will be worthwhile regardless of conference affiliation.

Tulane? Where did that come from?

Reaction Score

isn't that the crux of the argument though, the chicken-or-the-egg problem of fans who don't want to support the program unless they win, yet the program needs the support in order to win?

Reaction Score

....and that's the hammer hitting the nail on 'n head.

Problem is, perception is reality and the average sports writer typically writes from a position of ignorance to say nothing of the average fan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't say I agree with quality product angle. Were two seasons removed from a national title in mens hoops. Our football has been decent notwithstanding Deleone.

My thing is don't try to bleed your fans for every possible cent including parking/concessions etc. I didn't know about 15 dollar seats because I've lost all interest in going to those games. Once you lose fans interest it isn't easy to get it back.
This. We had a good thing going and the athletic dept. figured it was inelastic demand (see I remember macro), it wasn't. They didn't react quickly enough to the reduction in demand. Now it will take some work to get attendance back up. I do think that they are trying to correct this, with price reductions and more promotion.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Nope.
I am not sadly typical.
Come back to this thread after 6:00 pm tonight.
I'll post my "resume" when I get home later.
Typical will not be a word to describe me.
Maybe sad though... ;^p

My point was that I can score $10.00 tix outside the gates or get in for free because there is no demand for the product they put on the field.
Sandusakloni (they look the same) doesn't cause me to believe that UConn is putting a superior product on the field compared to what Randy did when I used to drop the $30 or $40 for games.

And for me to suggest to Manuel to schedule big games every year? That's silly talk.
The direction we are going in is all messed up because those supposedly cupcake games we would get between a decent conference schedule are now going to be regular show.
Again, not worth the money. $10.00 or free for me until the market determines that there is value to the extra tickets that are aplenty right now.

I road tripped to Notre Dame and Michigan.
Those were great experiences and money well spent.
And a glimpse into what could and should be.

The Pats thing is a rape job and you are right that they have me where they want me.
This will probably be the last of that as well after 4 seasons.
BTW - I have season tix because of adding my name to the waiting list in 1998 when they were going to play in Hartford.
It only took 11 years to get the call to purchase...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
You know, I can't get good tickets without paying a lot and sitting in traffic for 2 hours each way, but I sure can turn on my TV and DVR the game so I can make a pit stop or watch it later. Attendence at games is going to decrease when TV showings increase. It's just a fact. So your conclusion is just not valid. Open up more and better seating to students is a great way to boost attendence.

I got Giants tickets given to me on Sunday and went to MetLife to watch them beat the Packers up for the first half. It took almsot 4 hours of travel time, I left at halftime to get home at midnight, sitting in the freezing cold, spent $150 on tolls, parking, hot choc and a beer. People behind us got their tickets online and paid $275/each. Their cost to go to a game was almost $750. MIne was still $150 and I was given the tickets (good ones btw). Same holds true for every sporting event now. Honestly I'm good with one game this year - I will watch happily at home for the rest of the season on my 55" Samsung 1080p HDTV.

Reaction Score
that has been a HUGE problem in all this. Absolutely huge. There was a quote in the FLY section of the courant this morning from a report about Louisville's athletic department. We are better or equal in every single area (except they'll go to a 2nd BCS bowl this year), better in all the rest actually. Yet somehow the impression in the media is that UConn is some second rate athletic program. That really needs to change, and change quickly.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
that has been a HUGE problem in all this. Absolutely huge. There was a quote in the FLY section of the courant this morning from a report about Louisville's athletic department. We are better or equal in every single area (except they'll go to a 2nd BCS bowl this year), better in all the rest actually. Yet somehow the impression in the media is that UConn is some second rate athletic program. That really needs to change, and change quickly.
ANd that is Warde Maunuals job when it comes down to it. As some other poster said "this ain't freakin Buffalo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom