OT: - CFP Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: CFP Thoughts

Reaction Score
Quite the opposite. ND didn't belong, and a case could be made that some schools were more worthy than OSU.

Unfortunately ND did belong because there was no one else as good including Cincy, A&M. Just a really good Bama team that got better every game. Actually NDs defense was better than Clemson’s defense was vs OSU yesterday. Both embarrassing nonetheless for their programs in a big game.

Reaction Score
I don’t really understand why nobody is giving OSU a shot vs Alabama. Clemson was 5th in total defense before yesterday’s game and Alabama was 31st. Ohio State is 34th in that category however they just made Clemson and Trevor Lawrence look like a high school team.

Alabama definitely has the best offense in College Football and one of the best ever for that fact, but Justin fields is back. And if the 5th ranked defense with all that talent couldn’t slow him down then I don’t see how a team that just gave up 46 to Florida 2 weeks ago can either.
ACC football is hot garbage so it's tough to establish how good clemson, and this season ND, really are. If they're pretenders they get exposed very quickly especially against a legitimate #1 team

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Shoulder was by far the main impact of the hit, helmet shouldn't have been down shame on him but other than that it's a good hit and foot ball sucks because it's not. It could injure him because he lowered his head no doubt but football players can get hurt all the time on every play helmet, knee or otherwise. Next it will be tackling too low on the legs. It's football let them play.

Right call because of the rules but otherwise agree to disagree!
He could injure himself more by having his head up, in my opinion. But it is the rule.

Reaction Score
So they're supposed to bench a guy who threw 24 touchdowns and 7 interceptions as a true freshman for an unproven freshman? There was absolutely no indication at that time that Fields was better than Fromm, especially on the big stage against Alabama where Fromm proved he could compete.

Ohio State didn't even know what they were getting until Fields played his first game with them. Justin said himself that he was shocked by the success he found his first year at Ohio State.

Also with your previous post, the only one of those Ohio State Quarterbacks with a first or second round grade was Haskins. The rest of them were just really good college players.

Braxton Miller didn't even play quarterback his last year at OSU.
Did dabo know with Lawrence, he made the switch and that QB was balling. All I'm saying you don't let the #1 recruit leave....... Braxton Miller had a Heisman type season the year prior and got injured, JT and Cordale took his spot and they moved him to WR his final season

Reaction Score
Did dabo know with Lawrence, he made the switch and that QB was balling. All I'm saying you don't let the #1 recruit leave....... Braxton Miller had a Heisman type season the year prior and got injured, JT and Cordale took his spot and they moved him to WR his final season
Kelly Bryant played Alabama the year before and lost 24-6. They couldn't move the ball. Bryant went 18-36 for 124 yards and 2 picks. So.. yeah Dabo knew.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately ND did belong because there was no one else as good including Cincy, A&M. Just a really good Bama team that got better every game. Actually NDs defense was better than Clemson’s defense was vs OSU yesterday. Both embarrassing nonetheless for their programs in a big game.
ND played a pseudo CFP game in the ACCCG and got smoked. They should not have been there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think they said pre game that like 75% of the cfp semi finals were decided by double digits.

That’s a sign it’s probably not wrong. Most bcs years you really only needed 4 teams to solve most disputes anyway
Or a sign that the committee selects the wrong teams/matchups.

I say increase the field, go back to the composite computer models (a la the BCS), and take it out of the hands of humans who are only looking for ROI. Crown a true champion.

No way ND was a top 4 program, having just been smoked by Clemson.

The objective of the semi finals is not compelling match ups or close games. The objective is to give the #1 and #2 ranked teams the best chance to meet in the finals. Getting an opponent who you have the chance to obliterate in the semis is a reward for being in the top 2.

Reaction Score
Or a sign that the committee selects the wrong teams/matchups.

I say increase the field, go back to the composite computer models (a la the BCS), and take it out of the hands of humans who are only looking for ROI. Crown a true champion.

No way ND was a top 4 program, having just been smoked by Clemson.
Every conference champion plus two teams selected by a committee, all seeded by a committee. Until Final Four. First two rounds on campus of higher seeded team.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 12.50.58 PM.png

You could add four more at-larges for more cash and more good teams. Still (theoretically) easy games in the first two rounds for the first two seeds. I'd be more inclined to watch and you'd have a champion no one could debate.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 12.52.41 PM.png

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Every conference champion plus two teams selected by a committee, all seeded by a committee. Until Final Four. First two rounds on campus of higher seeded team.

View attachment 63113

You could add four more at-larges for more cash and more good teams. Still (theoretically) easy games in the first two rounds for the first two seeds. I'd be more inclined to watch and you'd have a champion no one could debate.

View attachment 63114
I know CFB people don’t want it because it would “ruin” (more like water down) the regular season but... can’t even fathom how much $$$ a 16 team FBS playoff with first two rounds on campus would make

Reaction Score
I know CFB people don’t want it because it would “ruin” (more like water down) the regular season but... can’t even fathom how much $$$ a 16 team FBS playoff with first two rounds on campus would make
The regular season is already meaningless because unless you're one of a few teams you aren't making the playoffs even if you go undefeated and if you play in the ACC/B10/SEC winning a conference title is just optional for making the CFP.

Better to make a conference title mean something and reward a few other teams outside of conference champions. It would be so much fun everyone would wonder why we waited so long.

Too big a field ruins a regular season. 16 teams is not too many for over 100 teams. We're not talking NHL/NBA.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The objective of the semi finals is not compelling match ups or close games. The objective is to give the #1 and #2 ranked teams the best chance to meet in the finals. Getting an opponent who you have the chance to obliterate in the semis is a reward for being in the top 2.
What an awful Championship philosophy.

Reaction Score

View attachment 63113

View attachment 63114
If there isn’t a plan to move to something like this in the next couple of years the G5 needs to just create their own playoff and crown their own version of a national champion. Playing a whole season at a G5 school is literally meaningless right now.

Edit to add you would probably get more parity with some G5 powers as well. Because recruits would see it as a shortcut to the playoff.

Reaction Score
There is no reason for FBS to not have an NCAA tournament like FCS, D2, and D3. With regular season games throughout December, the Finals blackout was proven to be moot.

There being college football at all during COVID proves that academics are an afterthought.
Kelly Bryant played Alabama the year before and lost 24-6. They couldn't move the ball. Bryant went 18-36 for 124 yards and 2 picks. So.. yeah Dabo knew.

I agree with a 16 team only difference is I would have lowest vs top seeded teams play as you advance so you would have an advantage. This would be my 25 team playoff.

Teams 18-25 play each for the right to play the 17th ranked team. I’ll lay out my examples let’s assume all higher seeded teams win.

Round 1 of 18-25 play in. 25 vs18, 24vs 19, 23 vs 20, 22vs 21

Round 2, 18 vs 21, 19 vs 20

Round 3, 18 vs 19

Play in semis 18 vs 17

Play in Finals 17 vs 16

16 team CFP

1st round

1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9

2nd round, elite 8

1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5

Final four

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3

National Chanpionship

1 vs 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What an awful Championship philosophy.

You hate every championship tournament?

This is the exact thing every sport does in a playoff format.

Higher ranked teams at lowest ranked teams as a reward for regular season performance.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

View attachment 63113

View attachment 63114
I’d think a 16 team with every conference champ plus 6 at large (should cover every top 10 team) would be the most fun playoff format.

However, this extends the season by 4 games and would probably mean a shortened regular season that become conference only games (9 max) + 1 OOC, otherwise you could have teams playing 17 games between regular season, conference championships and a 4 game playoff.

Would totally suck for UConn scheduling being independent and eliminate a lot of high profile OOC games, but would make conference games way more exciting & important IMO.

Would be way better for G5 recruiting if they had a guaranteed playoff spot with each conference and may make the recruiting a little more equitable, because of this P5 would not like this.

what probably will happen is an 8 team playoff with spots for each p5 champ and 3 at larges. Maybe they throw G5 a bone and give them a spot, but a bama vs coastal Carolina beatdown would get terrible ratings, so maybe not.

End of rant lol.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You hate every championship tournament?

This is the exact thing every sport does in a playoff format.

Higher ranked teams at lowest ranked teams as a reward for regular season performance.
That is not what you said though. You said the objective of the semis to be uncompelling. To draw an opponent that the top 2 can obliterate.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That is not what you said though. You said the objective of the semis to be uncompelling. To draw an opponent that the top 2 can obliterate.

No, I said compelling isn't a criteria. A match may or may not be compelling but that isn't what matters.
#1 ranked team gets the "worst" team, the #4 seed. If that match up ends up being good football, so be it.
More important is #1 team gets the easiest opponent and should have best chance to make championship game.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No, I said compelling isn't a criteria. A match may or may not be compelling but that isn't what matters.
#1 ranked team gets the "worst" team, the #4 seed. If that match up ends up being good football, so be it.
More important is #1 team gets the easiest opponent and should have best chance to make championship game.
Every other tournament has compelling semis. Primarily because the spot in the semis are earned.

ND was not the best selection for #4.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every other tournament has compelling semis. Primarily because the spot in the semis are earned.

ND was not the best selection for #4.

You're losing all credibility if you think every sport has "compelling" or good match ups for their semi final games.

You can die on the hill of thinking every AFC and NFC championship game is good
Every NCAA FF game is good.
Every MLB LCS series is good.
Tennis Grand Slam semis are good.
NHL Conf Champ series are good.

Let me help you out. EVERY sport has semifinals that are good and every sport has semis that are duds.

Believe it or not championship games can actually be duds. See UConn/GT 2004.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're losing all credibility if you think every sport has "compelling" or good match ups for their semi final games.

You can die on the hill of thinking every AFC and NFC championship game is good
Every NCAA FF game is good.
Every MLB LCS series is good.
Tennis Grand Slam semis are good.
NHL Conf Champ series are good.

Let me help you out. EVERY sport has semifinals that are good and every sport has semis that are duds.

Believe it or not championship games can actually be duds. See UConn/GT 2004.

Other sports have compelling semis. The CFP rarely has compelling semis. The spots in other semis are earned. Spots in the CFP semis are assigned.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Other sports have compelling semis. The CFP rarely has compelling semis. The spots in other semis are earned. Spots in the CFP semis are assigned.

So if they expand the playoffs and Bama plays the #8 seed while #4 and #5 square off the week prior, that will make the semifinal game better? If #5 upsets #4 this would make a better game? If #5 and #8 both get upsets having a #5/#8 semi would be a better game?

No matter how you work this you can't get a more guaranteed better game than inserting the top 5 teams in to the semifinals.

Reaction Score
Quite the opposite. ND didn't belong, and a case could be made that some schools were more worthy than OSU.
If they didn’t belong, who you gonna put in? Cincinnati/ A&M / Florida? Top 4 were fine. It’s like every March Madness people cry about 65-75 teams should make it. No one cares , they all had their chance to prove themselves. Plus if they did expand it it dilutes the regular season and no talking point really. Be careful what you ask for

Husky25

Reaction Score
So if they expand the playoffs and Bama plays the #8 seed while #4 and #5 square off the week prior, that will make the semifinal game better? If #5 upsets #4 this would make a better game? If #5 and #8 both get upsets having a #5/#8 semi would be a better game?

No matter how you work this you can't get a more guaranteed better game than inserting the top 5 teams in to the semifinals.
Returning to computerized composite models as a major component in selecting the teams would help as well.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’d think a 16 team with every conference champ plus 6 at large (should cover every top 10 team) would be the most fun playoff format.

However, this extends the season by 4 games and would probably mean a shortened regular season that become conference only games (9 max) + 1 OOC, otherwise you could have teams playing 17 games between regular season, conference championships and a 4 game playoff.

Would totally suck for UConn scheduling being independent and eliminate a lot of high profile OOC games, but would make conference games way more exciting & important IMO.

Would be way better for G5 recruiting if they had a guaranteed playoff spot with each conference and may make the recruiting a little more equitable, because of this P5 would not like this.

what probably will happen is an 8 team playoff with spots for each p5 champ and 3 at larges. Maybe they throw G5 a bone and give them a spot, but a bama vs coastal Carolina beatdown would get terrible ratings, so maybe not.

End of rant lol.

you are correct that buy games and ooc games would be the first to go. It would be almost impossible to be an independent without a deal like nd has with the acc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom