CFB Expansion-Mike Aresco edition | The Boneyard

CFB Expansion-Mike Aresco edition

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enter Mike Aresco, commissioner of the American Athletic Conference, who told the AP on Friday that he would “vigorously” oppose the expansion plan

Meanwhile the rest of FBS football is like:
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

“Yeah sure Mike. You do that.”

Reaction Score
To be fair, he's right. The original proposed model was the right one, the 6 highest ranked champions. I can't wait to see a 8-5 Utah make the playoff because they were a P5 champion.

Reaction Score
To be fair, he's right. The original proposed model was the right one, the 6 highest ranked champions. I can't wait to see a 8-5 Utah make the playoff because they were a P5 champion.
While i agree, the dye has been cast here. The G5 will be the feeder league to the P5 when they need to backfill. What else does Aresco have to see to understand this? The Big12 which he hoped to raid, LMAO, just went in plucked your best FB and BB programs. That was nothing more than a bjtchslap to remind him to stay in his lane.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. I would love to see this year’s Cinci team play against the big boys. Do they belong in the top 4 this year? We’ll never know b/c they won’t make the playoff. I don’t want to watch another “playoff” that is nothing but a P5 beauty contest. I haven’t watch it in years for this very reason. Only a real playoff with broad representation holds my interest.

Reaction Score
To make it fair, they need to take 6 highest conference champs out of 12 vs this 5+1 thing. They need to get rid of this ridiculous caste system of P5 vs G5 labels. Top 6 conference highest rated champs, regardless of which conferences they came from, should get auto bids with remaining 6 going to highest ranked teams.

This is the only way to do a fair playoff system.

Reaction Score
To make it fair, they need to take 6 highest conference champs out of 12 vs this 5+1 thing. They need to get rid of this ridiculous caste system of P5 vs G5 labels. Top 6 conference highest rated champs, regardless of which conferences they came from, should get auto bids with remaining 6 going to highest ranked teams.

This is the only way to do a fair playoff system.
I agree but why would the P5 agree to this? They control the money and call the shots. It isn't like Aresco has gotten the other G5 commissioners on board.

Reaction Score
I agree but why would the P5 agree to this? They control the money and call the shots. It isn't like Aresco has gotten the other G5 commissioners on board.
If P5 conferences are so confident they are so much better than G5, why not agreeing to that since they will get those bids majority of the time anyway?

It is crazy to keep this P5/G5 caste system going cause it's stuff like this is what's killing the sport where participants are predetermined vs. earning it on the field. They need to get rid of this P5 vs G5 crap since they are all playing college football with 85 scholarships. Otherwise, just split the P5 and G5 to create 2 separate divisions.

Reaction Score
I think the G5/P5 demarcation is what is keeping the NCAA together. We were okay with it when were in the BCS. I think its tilting at windmills since the schools themselves agreed to this arrangement.

Reaction Score
Having the 5 P5 conference champions qualifying for the CFP raises the stakes for the conference championship games and increases the interest in them. Remember when Penn State won the Big 10 Championship and beat Ohio State, but Ohio State got a bid for the CFP? Penn State would be in with the new format, and so would Ohio State. And, realistically, it would be the odd year that every P5 conference did not have a top 12 school.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. I would love to see this year’s Cinci team play against the big boys. Do they belong in the top 4 this year? We’ll never know b/c they won’t make the playoff. I don’t want to watch another “playoff” that is nothing but a P5 beauty contest. I haven’t watch it in years for this very reason. Only a real playoff with broad representation holds my interest.
I think you completely misinterpreted what I said. Aresco wants the original 12-team proposal: 6 highest ranked champs as autobids -- not the new 12-team proposal 5 p5 champs + 1 g5. I'm 100% for G5 access, and the first proposal gives them a chance at 2 spots as opposed to 1.

Reaction Score
Nothing will make a P5 breakaway happen faster than an irrelevant G5 commissioner torpedoing playoff expansion, costing them hundreds of millions of dollars. What an idiot.
Ridiculous honestly

Reaction Score
I think you completely misinterpreted what I said. Aresco wants the original 12-team proposal: 6 highest ranked champs as autobids -- not the new 12-team proposal 5 p5 champs + 1 g5. I'm 100% for G5 access, and the first proposal gives them a chance at 2 spots as opposed to 1.
Gotcha. Totally misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
The pre-ordained caste system becomes boring when its Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State every year. It could lead to less eyeballs and less dollars. Not that it would ever be like March Madness' Cinderella stories but adding some variety and a David vs. Goliath every now and then adds spice. Certainly, football is not like basketball in terms of the underdog's chance of winning it all or even advancing a few rounds in but some of that sentiment will bring in more casual fans in the long run. I feel like the bowl season got watered down by adding way too many games and if ESPN doesn't manage these affairs they might be killing the golden goose of college football from the top down and the bottom up.

Reaction Score
The pre-ordained caste system becomes boring when its Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State every year. It could lead to less eyeballs and less dollars. Not that it would ever be like March Madness' Cinderella stories but adding some variety and a David vs. Goliath every now and then adds spice. Certainly, football is not like basketball in terms of the underdog's chance of winning it all or even advancing a few rounds in but some of that sentiment will bring in more casual fans in the long run. I feel like the bowl season got watered down by adding way too many games and if ESPN doesn't manage these affairs they might be killing the golden goose of college football from the top down and the bottom up.
I agree 100%

Reaction Score
Yes, we should be against such an outcome - it’s be like an 8-5 New England start up playing in the fiesta bowl?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom