Central Michigan vs Ohio State (Upset Alert) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Central Michigan vs Ohio State (Upset Alert)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Am I correct stating that all 6 x BIG10 teams have been eliminated? Iowa & Nebraska in the 1st round. Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland in the 2nd round. And Ohio State got destroyed on their home court.

Yes. Only one of those teams was hosting. Check out SEC collective results, w/ 5 teams hosting.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They don't teach defense at Ohio State University. Although, Kelsey Mitchell was hustling like I've never seen her hustle. Not surprised to see Ohio State exit early.

The flawed RPI system needs to be junked. Tennessee, Georgia, FSU, & Ohio State were given top 16 seeds, and all lost on their home court.

1) RPI is only one part of the selection criteria.

2) Sagarin also had Tennessee, FSU, and Ohio State highly ranked. So it's not like more sophisticated models did any better.

3) Upsets happen and they are a good thing. It's not called March Predictability.

Reaction Score
They don't teach defense at Ohio State University. Although, Kelsey Mitchell was hustling like I've never seen her hustle. Not surprised to see Ohio State exit early.

The flawed RPI system needs to be junked. Tennessee, Georgia, FSU, & Ohio State were given top 16 seeds, and all lost on their home court.
Reason these teams lost is they aren’t well coached with Georgia maybe being the exception. Fl State is not impressive and Sue doesn’t have her team prepared. Her teams look like they have no chemistry too often. This year there are few really solid teams thus the upsets which makes it fun

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) RPI is only one part of the selection criteria.

2) Sagarin also had Tennessee, FSU, and Ohio State highly ranked. So it's not like more sophisticated models did any better.

3) Upsets happen and they are a good thing. It's not called March Predictability.
While RPI is only one of the criteria's it seems to be the one more heavily weighted during this selection process. Perhaps RPI is only used as an excuse for the committee to justify their already formed perspectives. RPI should not be used at all it is very flawed. Relying on stats is for people who can not think.

Reaction Score
Am I correct stating that all 6 x BIG10 teams have been eliminated? Iowa & Nebraska in the 1st round. Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland in the 2nd round. And Ohio State got destroyed on their home court.
Time for UConn to the B1G to save face.

Reaction Score
Central Michigan are going to beat the #3 seed by more than 20 points?!? Are you kidding me?

The ranking gurus seriously need to change the way they do business. They were way far away from reality this year!!!!

Is Central Michigan bad for WCBB? :D

Reaction Score
Is Central Michigan bad for WCBB? :D

Nope. And all of those half-bright "journalists" who've been moaning about UConn "dominance" of WCBB will now have to go back and rethink (did they think much in the first place?). WCBB, with Central Michigan, Buffalo in the Sweet Sixteen, and Quinnipiac, Florida Gulf Coast, and Creighton having beaten Power 5 conference representatives, and with other unknowns like Drake, American and Mercer having made strong showings against other power conference entries, a reconsideration is definitely in order.

And it's not the traditional powerhouses from the traditional power conferences who are taking the top spots in the Sweet Sixteen. South Carolina, Oregon, Mississippi State, UCLA, and Oregon State are only recent arrivals in the highest echelon of WCBB. Perhaps they're there because of the arrival of recent great recruiting classes (Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State), or a great recruit (South Carolina). Or perhaps it's due to the arrival of a new up-and-coming coach (Oregon). In any event, there are few traditional decade-after-decade teams in the Sweet Sixteen this year: Tara's Stanford, Muffet's Notre Dame, and a surprise reappearance by Duke.

And look at the conferences represented. There are four- count 'em: four!- teams from the Pac 12, a conference that for so many years was nothing but Stanford and the Eleven Dwarfs. There are three teams from the ACC. But look closer, and you see that one of them is a surprise entry- NC State, while one of them was until recently a Big East Team. No UNC, no Maryland, either as a Big 10 entry or an ACC entry. Gone from the SEC entries is Tennessee, gone is LSU. The two SEC teams are relatively recently emerged.

But of course, there is Connecticut and Coach Geno Auriemma. Those two are the one constant. No matter what else happens in women's basketball, his coaching genius leads him to devise winning strategies in games, train his players, as he once put it, "so that we can't get it wrong," and to recruit just the right kind of athlete with the right kind of attitude.

Let's hope that Connecticut wins the national championship again. But when the inevitable blow-hard sports writer laments once again that Connecticut is "bad for women's basketball," send him this post. Then celebrate the dramatic changes in the women's game that has Buffalo and Oregon and Central Michigan and Oregon State and NC State fighting in the Sweet Sixteen.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
RPI should not be used at all it is very flawed. Relying on stats is for people who can not think.

The thinking people at the AP poll had Tennessee, FSU, and Ohio State all in the top 12. I eagerly await your suggestion for better selection criteria.

I'm not saying the selection process is flawless. For one thing, Oregon State was badly underseeded and Georgia was overseeded. But upsets are a feature, not a bug. TN, FSU, and OSU were all clearly top-4 seeds. The fact that they happened to lose does not mean that their seeding was wrong.

Reaction Score
The thinking people at the AP poll had Tennessee, FSU, and Ohio State all in the top 12. I eagerly await your suggestion for better selection criteria.

I'm not saying the selection process is flawless. For one thing, Oregon State was badly underseeded and Georgia was overseeded. But upsets are a feature, not a bug. TN, FSU, and OSU were all clearly top-4 seeds. The fact that they happened to lose does not mean that their seeding was wrong.

The AP poll is is mainly a popularity contest. I doubt voters put much time into checking schedules, scores, etc.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The AP poll is is mainly a popularity contest. I doubt voters put much time into checking schedules, scores, etc.

Funny how everybody can tell me which systems are flawed and why but none of the critics has an actual idea for a better seeding procedure.

The point is that RPI, human polls, computer algorithms all had the teams in question as highly-ranked.

If people believe those teams (FSU, TN, OSU) were overseeded, I would like to hear what system or set of criteria would have properly evaluated those teams. Right now it just seems like people reacting to losses by saying "See, I knew they would lose all along!".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny how everybody can tell me which systems are flawed and why but none of the critics has an actual idea for a better seeding procedure.

The point is that RPI, human polls, computer algorithms all had the teams in question as highly-ranked.

If people believe those teams (FSU, TN, OSU) were overseeded, I would like to hear what system or set of criteria would have properly evaluated those teams. Right now it just seems like people reacting to losses by saying "See, I knew they would lose all along!".
I have a suggestion....Boneyard poll every week after the 2nd week of league play to determine the top 16.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have a suggestion....Boneyard poll every week after the 2nd week of league play to determine the top 16.

Well, Tennessee surely wouldn't have got a top-16 seeding that way!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom