OT: - Central America/Mexico for month (or more) in winter | The Boneyard

OT: Central America/Mexico for month (or more) in winter

Reaction Score
Hi, curious if anyone spends extended winter time in Central America or maybe Mexico (a month or more). We used to know someone who went to Central America, lost touch with them, but am thinking about this idea for some reason. Things to consider are: 1) Safety, 2) Good health care available, 3) cheap living costs, 4) diversity of things to do (not just lay on beach). Any ex-pats on the Boneyard? (not people who stopped rooting for Patriots because Brady go traded)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how safe someone would be in those areas, as an American, especially during the trying times we currently live in. Healthcare may be sketchy at best also. The only thing of benefit may be the cost of living. I left CT many years ago and found what you described without leaving the USA.

Reaction Score
I’m spending time in Nicaragua and Ecuador this summer and I’ve spent time in Mexico, PR, and DR before but never for a long period of time. I know people from some of these things places. The cost of living is very low, the healthcare is less expensive and not much worse than in the United States but they don’t have the resources to handle mass amounts of hospitalizations as shown by covid19. When that happens everything can fall apart fast.
the locals are much friendlier. Food especially fruits and vegetables are very cheap but things like electronics are usually more expensive. If you are smart and not flashy or ignorant most of these places are safe...with the exception of El Salvador.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have a coworker that spends multiple months a year in Costa Rica, they plan on retiring there. Like Kenny said essential needs like food and water are relatively cheap but goods are much more expensive. Not sure about the healthcare, but as far as safety goes just stay away from the known dangerous areas which will come up on any quick searches and you should be fine in just about any of the Latin American countries. Mexico is probably the closest in healthcare to the US I would imagine and outside of the known Cartel areas is a relatively safe and beautiful country.

Reaction Score
You may want to look at going to Cartagena, Colombia. It’s a beautiful city. The people are warm and welcoming. Lots of tourists pre-pandemic. There is a really cool walled old city. The high end of part of town is Bocogrande. It’s safe. Very little violent crime but there is petty theft (don’t leave your valuables out in plain sight unattended). Lots of history to take in. The weather is beautiful between January and March. Other than that, it’s hot as hell and humid as hell. Because Cartagena is a coast town on the Caribbean, places to stay could get pricey if you wanted to stay in the old city or Bocogrande. But you could probably find cheaper places to stay in Manga which is a pretty nice area as well. Lots of good restaurants, bars, etc in Cartagena. it’s definitely a party city. I know Cartagena well because my wife is from there. But because of covid the city is pretty dead at the moment. There is a curfew (9pm). But the bars and restaurants are open. Lastly, not too many people speak English so brush up on your Spanish.

Most Americans head to Medellin when visiting Colombia. There is a pretty substantial expat community there. Some people head down there because they are single and are looking for some action. There are beautiful women in Colombia. There is a lot of medical tourism there. Medical costs are a fraction of what they are here.

Bogota is the Capitol. It’s a huge city. I believe that Bogota is more dangerous. If you visit Bogota go on an organized tour and be careful if you are out at night.

Bucaramanga is an awesome city out near the Venezuelan border. Currently, there are many refugees from Venezuala there. Not as many tourists in Bucaramanga. Hardly anyone speaks English. But the people are so nice. My wife’s family is originally from Bucaramanga. There are many things to do in the surrounding area.

Colombia is soccer crazy. The major cities in Colombia have a professional soccer team. Like here, currently they playing in empty stadiums. And the entire country totally shuts down when the national team plays. Lastly, baseball is big on the coast. Quite a few major leaguers are from Cartagena.

Hope this helps.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My buddy lives in Panama four months a year. He has only good things to say about the country. Lots of ex pats from around the world live near him. I'm planning on joining him for a week or two next year.

Reaction Score
My wife refuses to go to Mexico anymore
we both loved Cabo and it’s less than 2 hours from Phoenix.

Reaction Score
I've gone to Mexico City the past 3 years for a week in the Spring. While down there I became friend's with a guy from Wisconsin who loved it so much he bought a house on his trip in Puerto Vallarta where he has spent probably 3 months each of the past two years and says he will move there permanently a little down the road. Mexico is absolutely beautiful, cheap, and great people...

My folks visited friend's who bought a second home in Guatemala years ago and retired there permanently, they love it. Said the area beautiful, they live in a beautiful home with a maid, great cost of living but in a gated community with fairly heavy security because crime is an issue.

Reaction Score
I've heard from others that Costa Rica checks all your boxes but I haven't experienced living there myself.

I wonder about the healthcare but I did a quick Google search and the first article that came up was this. So I guess that box is checked also.

Reaction Score
I've heard from others that Costa Rica checks all your boxes but I haven't experienced living there myself.

I wonder about the healthcare but I did a quick Google search and the first article that came up was this. So I guess that box is checked also.

Yeah, I only have heard good things about Costa Rica. I would love to visit there one day.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I only have heard good things about Costa Rica. I would love to visit there one day.
As a vacation it's great. Lots of stuff to do. Jungle and hiking within easy driving distance of the beach areas (roads kind of suck though). Always seemed safe (safer than other Central America countries). Just never lived there so can't comment on that. JetBlue flies direct from Boston and NYC so easy access also.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My buddy lives in Panama four months a year. He has only good things to say about the country. Lots of ex pats from around the world live near him. I'm planning on joining him for a week or two next year.
The Boquete area in Northern Panama has a significant ex-pat community. It grows some of the best coffee in the world. I've thought of retiring there are there many benefits for US retirees, but while the lifestyle seems simple and cheap, it's a PITA getting out of there to get back to US, or to go anywhere else, really. It's not a beach community, but it is a place that is safe for US folks and has plenty of amenities to enjoy.

I lived in Mexico CIty for a year. I wouldn't recommend it in winter. The air quality is horrendous, especially during the annual inversion that happens every Jan/Feb. You can wash your car in the morning and write your name on it at night. That said, it's probably the best food city in North America. I do know folks who own in Cabo, but it appears that even there is now seeing some cartel activity, although it's still relatively safe compared to most of Northern Mexico.

Reaction Score
Many of my friends have spent time here. very American friendly. Money goes a long way. Pronounced waaa, ha, kaw

Reaction Score
Been to Costa Rica twice, not that impressed. It’s warmer than Florida but to me 3rd worldish. At resorts it’s great, but you don’t live at resorts.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The Boquete area in Northern Panama has a significant ex-pat community. It grows some of the best coffee in the world. I've thought of retiring there are there many benefits for US retirees, but while the lifestyle seems simple and cheap, it's a PITA getting out of there to get back to US, or to go anywhere else, really. It's not a beach community, but it is a place that is safe for US folks and has plenty of amenities to enjoy.

I lived in Mexico CIty for a year. I wouldn't recommend it in winter. The air quality is horrendous, especially during the annual inversion that happens every Jan/Feb. You can wash your car in the morning and write your name on it at night. That said, it's probably the best food city in North America. I do know folks who own in Cabo, but it appears that even there is now seeing some cartel activity, although it's still relatively safe compared to most of Northern Mexico.
My buddy lives in Boquete.

Reaction Score
That's all of Central America.
Correct, which is why Florida is better. Medical care, shopping, food, restaurants, language, you name it. A vacation is fine though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The DR is practically closed right now. CR is open.

Reaction Score
Been to Costa Rica twice, not that impressed. It’s warmer than Florida but to me 3rd worldish. At resorts it’s great, but you don’t live at resorts.
Correct, which is why Florida is better. Medical care, shopping, food, restaurants, language, you name it. A vacation is fine though.
Most American response ever, Florida blows.

Reaction Score
I've been to Panama and Costa Rica, but never lived there. Lot's of ex pats in both...Panama seems to have more folks that are still doing some business while Costa Rica seems mostly retirees IMO. If you don't speak Spanish, I think Costa Rica is easier as they learn it in school, but either should work for you. IMO, Costa Rica is a much prettier place...with tons of eco tourism type stuff. It's also an amazingly short flight from EWR...less than 5 hours

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I can answer most questions about Guatemala and some about other CA countries. Fire away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom