Ceal Barry retires | The Boneyard

Ceal Barry retires

Reaction Score
Hall of Farmer Ceal Barry will retire at 65 after spending 37 years at the University of Colorado, 22 as head coach and 15 as assistant athletic director. For my money, she might well have been the best coach in the game. Certainly, she would be No. 1 choice had I a daughter who played elite basketball. CU has had moments since Barry put away her whistle but never really achieved the status of a major power again.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hall of Farmer Ceal Barry will retire at 65 after spending 37 years at the University of Colorado, 22 as head coach and 15 as assistant athletic director. For my money, she might well have been the best coach in the game. Certainly, she would be No. 1 choice had I a daughter who played elite basketball. CU has had moments since Barry put away her whistle but never really achieved the status of a major power again.
How much money you got? :rolleyes: As last year I did a write up of the P5 conferences and their past success or failure in big time WCBB history, CU had a nice run in the Big 8, though I would not characterize it as a GREAT run. In 9 years in the PAC12, CU has been abysmal. In the 15 years prior to that in the Big12, they won 1 title in 1997. Their record during their time in the Big12 with Ceal as their coach (9 years) was 161-112 conference 74-70, with 1 conference tournament title and no first place finishes...so not so great. However in the Big 8 (13 years) she did win 8 titles (Tournament and Regular season) with a overall record of 266-130 and conference record of 118-64. Again good but not great numbers. She has been to 12 NCAA tournaments with 3 Elite 8 finishes, 3 Sweet 16's. Again good record but not even close to "best coach in the game"...please make the check out to "DefenseBB Ltd" I will put my address in a private chat...;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well, obviously, not the best in the game.

As time goes by and the list gets longer and longer - top 50 for sure, top 25 perhaps, certainly top 25 at one time.

Also well respected by her peers, which is important.

Among the coaches that the current (younger) folks probably don't know, but should: Linda K. Sharp, Marsha Sharp, Cathy Rush, Barry, Paul Sanderford and Jill Hutchinson. And many more, of course. Just a sampling.

Reaction Score
How much money you got? :rolleyes: As last year I did a write up of the P5 conferences and their past success or failure in big time WCBB history, CU had a nice run in the Big 8, though I would not characterize it as a GREAT run. In 9 years in the PAC12, CU has been abysmal. In the 15 years prior to that in the Big12, they won 1 title in 1997. Their record during their time in the Big12 with Ceal as their coach (9 years) was 161-112 conference 74-70, with 1 conference tournament title and no first place finishes...so not so great. However in the Big 8 (13 years) she did win 8 titles (Tournament and Regular season) with a overall record of 266-130 and conference record of 118-64. Again good but not great numbers. She has been to 12 NCAA tournaments with 3 Elite 8 finishes, 3 Sweet 16's. Again good record but not even close to "best coach in the game"...please make the check out to "DefenseBB Ltd" I will put my address in a private chat...;)
oh, I know stats. Best because of how she coached, how she tailored her coaching to the player and didn’t try to make player fit the system. It was harder for a lesbian to be a major coach in those days. And who knows what might have happened had she not retired at 49. Many of Geno’s NCs came in his 50s. But again it was how she coached. The Hall of Fame knew that. Incidentally another long time CU staffer made Hall this year.

Reaction Score
In a recap of her career, Barry said he coaching philosophy was play defense and make free throws.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In a recap of her career, Barry said he coaching philosophy was play defense and make free throws.
Defense will take you far. Ask CVS.

Tennessee (and Arizona, which I always thought might have got it from Niya Butts when she was HC) stand until the opponent scores. I like it (although once in a while I don't at the start of the 2nd half).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom