CCSU Post Game Thoughts/Analysis | The Boneyard

CCSU Post Game Thoughts/Analysis

Reaction Score
Offense:

Qb
: Mr. ZT showed a glimpse of what he could accomplish for us in the future. I will say he is probably the best qb I have seen as of late to score consistently in the RZ. I thought he did pretty well given they apparently had 3 days worth of practice during the week. What I did not like was ZT at times staring down his first read instead of going through his progressions even when he had time to throw in the pocket. I think the play actions that allow him to roll out of the pocket helps him see the field a lot better, but he also needs to know when to throw the ball away or just tuck it and run. The INT he threw look similar to last week, trying to throw the ball across his body into a tight window. He needs to understand our current WR'S playing are not physically dominant to be go getters like Ross and Marion. All in all I thought he did pretty well.

Oline: O-line especially the Left side Senn and Nyadu have done a good job protecting the blind side of ZT and keeping pressure away from Him. Now the Right side, specifically Right Tackle needs a lot of help, Lundt keeps getting beat off the line and same with Fortin at times during pass blocking. This will be a long season for the qbs if we do not put an extra TE to help the RT with blocking. Overall, the O-line is doing a good job with run blocking, I kind of already knew we had a special group of kids on the Line, they just needed time to develop and it seems to be paying off. Of course, the real test will be against p5 schools in the next coming weeks that will test our O-line to see how good we really are. Extra point.. We have not given up a sack!!!!!

Rbs- Carter, Brewton, Houston, and Rosa are gonna be very special for us, if the rest of the Rbs work on being patient in following their lead blockers like Carter, this running back committee could potentially break 2k rushing yards for the season. Brewton and Houston had 103 yards combined together... Keep in mind Houston had 4 carries for 41 yards. If our O-line can keep this up, we should be able to rely on our running game to march us down the field and let the passing game take it place in the red zone, even though I am very confident we can also score at will in the RZ just by running.

Wrs- Like I said last week, this will be a work in progress, we do not have that "IT" person Edsall will say at Wide Receiver right now. It will be easier for teams we play against to make us one dimensional because we do not have any Wr's that are a threat in the passing game. I could have sworn we had Receivers that were speedy who were deep threats, but I guess they either transferred or just not able get separation. Mora and Charlton cannot except to run an efficient passing game offense if we do not have that receiver we can consistently rely on to at least have 5-7 catches a game and create separation for us.

TEs- They need to work blocking just like the WR's.. they are sometimes very lazy with their blocking, they need to at least do an o-line drill on blocking because sheesh we could have long runs for TDs if they just block. Other than that, Brandon will be nice, but will like to see him be that person for us we can rely on like when we had Jay Rose.

Defense:
As a whole unit with the exception of the secondary, they deserve credit for shutting out CCSU for 3 quarters, even though I think we should have kept them under 200 yards. I like to see our defense be more aggressive as a whole by a notch and our secondary to actually start challenging opposing teams wide receivers instead of allowing them to have a free release.

Dline: I think our Dline did a much better job this week with getting pressure to the qb, they may be a group we see just get better every week, but we gotta wait and see how well they will fare against p5 schools. I believe they are exceptionally talented.

Linebackers: Best group on defense, but sheesh they need to stop hesitating when they are blitzing, I am glad they keep everything in front of them and make the tackles. Linebacker committee will just get better every week. I think they are the spark of our defense

Secondary: Today showed how much our secondary will be a liability. If our DB's are getting torched while playing soft coverage... Get ready to see teams air raid against us deep and on short routes because we have shown we cannot quickly make it in time to break up a pass on a stop or comeback route. Mora needs to grill them about playing soft coverage and just letting receivers run by them. Durante Jones has been really quiet as of late on defense, I wonder if it is the scheme or something, but we are not looking so good at the secondary level on defense.

Reaction Score
We gave up 2 sacks today… but still a very solid performance YTD in that category.
Oh dang I must’ve missed it. Do you know which side of the line gave up the other one? I do remember the corner blitz that was early on

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree with most everything from the OP.

Left side of line is real good. Sent gets down the field on screens and run plays and has dominated second level of defense.

RB us a strength.

WR are not good at getting open or doing anything vertical. WR are blocking good on the run.

RT is an issue.

DB's seemed to revert to playing soft.
ST were a mess with a missed FG and a fumbled punt.

Harrison seems to.lack football instincts. On jet sweeps he reads the wrong hole and he absolutely had to fair catch that punt.

UConn could have easily scored 2 more TD's had they not shot themselves in the foot. Those mistakes are player mistakes that must get cleaned up.

On to 'cause. 25k engaged fans as a minimum, hoping for 30k+ loud fans.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
DB's seemed to revert to playing soft.
Seems to be the biggest concern on defense. I have to asume Mora is playing soft intentionally in the secondary to avoid giving up chunk plays. Let's hope they develop enough that Mora feels comfortable tightening them up.

Reaction Score
Until the defensive line can start getting pressure on their own, it’s hard to play press coverage without getting burned. I love that Mora dials up the blitz more than we’ve seen in recent memory, but at some point we have to see some pressure with 3 and 4 man rushes.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is the secondary. The special teams had some issues at time including a kickoff that went out of bounds. But they did block at least one field goal attempt and I believe affected a punt as well. I thought that the TEs could become a weapon as receivers as long as they avoid procedure penalties.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is the secondary. The special teams had some issues at time including a kickoff that went out of bounds. But they did block at least one field goal attempt and I believe affected a punt as well. I thought that the TEs could become a weapon as receivers as long as they avoid procedure penalties.
Agree. Is Wortham playing hurt? He shyed away from tackling most of the day and then on the one play he stepped up he completely whiffed on a tackle. Gotta get more out if him as he's a senior.

Reaction Score
Offense:

Qb
: Mr. ZT showed a glimpse of what he could accomplish for us in the future. I will say he is probably the best qb I have seen as of late to score consistently in the RZ. I thought he did pretty well given they apparently had 3 days worth of practice during the week. What I did not like was ZT at times staring down his first read instead of going through his progressions even when he had time to throw in the pocket. I think the play actions that allow him to roll out of the pocket helps him see the field a lot better, but he also needs to know when to throw the ball away or just tuck it and run. The INT he threw look similar to last week, trying to throw the ball across his body into a tight window. He needs to understand our current WR'S playing are not physically dominant to be go getters like Ross and Marion. All in all I thought he did pretty well.

Oline: O-line especially the Left side Senn and Nyadu have done a good job protecting the blind side of ZT and keeping pressure away from Him. Now the Right side, specifically Right Tackle needs a lot of help, Lundt keeps getting beat off the line and same with Fortin at times during pass blocking. This will be a long season for the qbs if we do not put an extra TE to help the RT with blocking. Overall, the O-line is doing a good job with run blocking, I kind of already knew we had a special group of kids on the Line, they just needed time to develop and it seems to be paying off. Of course, the real test will be against p5 schools in the next coming weeks that will test our O-line to see how good we really are. Extra point.. We have not given up a sack!!!!!

Rbs- Carter, Brewton, Houston, and Rosa are gonna be very special for us, if the rest of the Rbs work on being patient in following their lead blockers like Carter, this running back committee could potentially break 2k rushing yards for the season. Brewton and Houston had 103 yards combined together... Keep in mind Houston had 4 carries for 41 yards. If our O-line can keep this up, we should be able to rely on our running game to march us down the field and let the passing game take it place in the red zone, even though I am very confident we can also score at will in the RZ just by running.

Wrs- Like I said last week, this will be a work in progress, we do not have that "IT" person Edsall will say at Wide Receiver right now. It will be easier for teams we play against to make us one dimensional because we do not have any Wr's that are a threat in the passing game. I could have sworn we had Receivers that were speedy who were deep threats, but I guess they either transferred or just not able get separation. Mora and Charlton cannot except to run an efficient passing game offense if we do not have that receiver we can consistently rely on to at least have 5-7 catches a game and create separation for us.

TEs- They need to work blocking just like the WR's.. they are sometimes very lazy with their blocking, they need to at least do an o-line drill on blocking because sheesh we could have long runs for TDs if they just block. Other than that, Brandon will be nice, but will like to see him be that person for us we can rely on like when we had Jay Rose.

Defense:
As a whole unit with the exception of the secondary, they deserve credit for shutting out CCSU for 3 quarters, even though I think we should have kept them under 200 yards. I like to see our defense be more aggressive as a whole by a notch and our secondary to actually start challenging opposing teams wide receivers instead of allowing them to have a free release.

Dline: I think our Dline did a much better job this week with getting pressure to the qb, they may be a group we see just get better every week, but we gotta wait and see how well they will fare against p5 schools. I believe they are exceptionally talented.

Linebackers: Best group on defense, but sheesh they need to stop hesitating when they are blitzing, I am glad they keep everything in front of them and make the tackles. Linebacker committee will just get better every week. I think they are the spark of our defense

Secondary: Today showed how much our secondary will be a liability. If our DB's are getting torched while playing soft coverage... Get ready to see teams air raid against us deep and on short routes because we have shown we cannot quickly make it in time to break up a pass on a stop or comeback route. Mora needs to grill them about playing soft coverage and just letting receivers run by them. Durante Jones has been really quiet as of late on defense, I wonder if it is the scheme or something, but we are not looking so good at the secondary level on defense.
Find it interesting that OL 2 deep is made up only of guys who were there in the spring. Hopefully one of the OL transfers who showed up this summer will be in a position to challenge for the RT spot.

Reaction Score
Until the defensive line can start getting pressure on their own, it’s hard to play press coverage without getting burned. I love that Mora dials up the blitz more than we’ve seen in recent memory, but at some point we have to see some pressure with 3 and 4 man rushes.
They can’t seem to get pressure even on blitzes against an FCS line, which is a step slower than FBS. They need to find a few guys off the bench that have that innate pas rushing instinct for passing downs but maybe are weaker on the run. It’s a strange thing that has been going on for years.

Reaction Score
Agree the DB situation is a real weakness. They are playing way off the ball and still get torched downfield. The areas we need to address are contesting the WR off the line and disrupting timing, closing up that damn 10 yard buffer with second slot receiver when they flex wide, and the D Line getting faster pressure off the edge which will interfere with the quick out passing lanes. We need a lot more hands up. The interior line needs to work on bull rushing with leverage and/or slicing gaps with speed and strong clubbing/ripping action to collapse the pocket. They seem to do well against the run which is more gap plugging and moving laterally rather penetrating. There is work to be done. On a positive note, the tackling has improved 100%, the angles are better and LBs are no longer a weakness. They are a strength.

Reaction Score
Thought I saw quite a bit of Cam Edwards’s in the second half

You did. I also saw him totally whiff on one attempted tackle. But we saw a number of players who we didn’t see in the opener.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom