CBSports: Q&A: UConn's Kevin Ollie on title, keys to getting back | The Boneyard

CBSports: Q&A: UConn's Kevin Ollie on title, keys to getting back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie has quickly become one of the marquee coaches in college basketball. The former NBA point guard took UConn to amazing heights in his second season as coach, winning the NCAA Tournament as a seven seed. CBS Sports Network and CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein sat down with Ollie to discuss that title run, Rodney Purvis, and what needs to happen for the Huskies to again be playing their best basketball in March.

Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: What's the biggest way your life has changed since winning the national title last April?

Kevin Ollie: It hasn't been a big change. There's a lot of events and different things like that but we've been pursuing new recruits and focusing on getting the players in our program better. Other than that, this is business as usual. We're trying to get better and focus on our team and hope that they come out and play the right way and compete and also complete each other this season.

CBSSports.com: When you win a championship, there's so many celebratory things that come after the process. At what point, were you able to look ahead on focus on team you're about to coach and not think about the team that cut down the nets?

Ollie: I was always doing that. Once the celebration was over with, I was thinking about whether or not Ryan Boatright was coming back to school. I was thinking about whether or not DeAndre Daniels was going to come back to school. I was thinking about how our recruits and how our freshmen were going to fit in with our team for this year. As a coach, you never stop thinking about that. You always want to make sure you have a contingency plan for everything and anything that happens in this game. Guys leave -- DeAndre had an awesome six-game stretch and it allowed him to be taken by the Toronto Raptors in the second round of the NBA Draft (37th overall). Now you've got to go to Plan B. I had a good situation where everybody was buying in into one system. And they're not getting drunk off success. They're not reading any press clippings. We've got a lot of guys that are stepping up in different roles which is good.

CBSSports.com: Your name was linked to several NBA head coaching jobs during the off-season. What was it like to deal with all the rumors and how did you handle it?

Ollie: Some of it was false, some of it was true -- I just never got wrapped up in it. I wanted to be here at UConn. Of course, we were negotiating my new deal, and I knew that was going to happen -- it was just a matter of me and (UConn athletic director) Warde Manuel sitting down -- but to be honest, we went straight to the Spring recruiting period when we got back from the Final Four. We finished playing April 6th or 7th and the next week we were out recruiting again. There wasn't a lot of time for me to think about NBA jobs. I was thinking about what recruits could come to UConn and get us to the next level where we're going to continually be in a position to win a national championship. I kept my options open of course because you have to do that but at the same time I wanted to be here. I think I've got the best job in America. I love the University of Connecticut. I love my players. They believed in me when a lot of people didn't, so of course I'm going to stay with them and try to see if we can continue to win and not only maintain this program but also strengthen this program. I think that's what we did last year.

CBSSports.com: How does the pressure of replacing Jim Calhoun compare to the pressure of being the head coach of the defending national champions?

Ollie: It's the same thing in the sense that we're not motivated by fear or anything like that. I'm motivated by desire. I'm not defending the national championship because nobody can come in and take it away. We had a championship season last year and I'm going to try and go win another one. There's no pressure in that, I just want to go win another one. I know it's a long road and it's a process. Guys have to buy in and things like that. But defending a championship? That's not what it is. Who is going to take it? We're the champions and nobody can take that away from us. I've tried to let our guys know that there's no extra pressure. Let's go out there and try to win another one.

CBSSports.com: When your team hit its stride last year during the NCAA Tournament, you regularly exploited mismatches on the offensive end of the floor. Does the personnel you have on this team give you those same capabilities?

Ollie: Yeah, definitely. We're versatile and we've got a lot of different pieces that can be moved around. That team last year was a veteran-laden team. We had Niels (Giffey) who was a four-year senior, Shabazz (Napier) was a four-year senior, Tyler (Olander) was a four-year senior -- so there's a little more teaching involved in this, in terms of understanding the level that we need to play at. It's not hard but it's a transition because all of these guys don't know how to play UConn basketball just yet and that's what we're teaching. But they're learning and they're coachable and that's what I like about our guys. They're getting better and you can see that in practice.

CBSSports.com: You lose a great perimeter player in Shabazz (Napier) but you add a few, and most notably Rodney Purvis -- a transfer from NC State. From what you've seen initially, does he have the chops to join the conversation among the great guards that have played here?

Ollie: He's got to work for that. You can't just say that. Potential is a bad word and he does have potential to be one of the more explosive players in our history here, but the guys that are in that conversation now -- they just worked and worked and kept getting better. Daniel Hamilton is the exact same way. He's got great potential, but at the end of the day, God-given talent has to change into skills, hard work and toughness -- especially mental toughness. All of those great players were mentally tough. When we got in do or die situations, they always made the right plays and hopefully the new guys that are here have that same makeup.

CBSSports.com: Amida Brimah had moments of brilliance last year as a freshman. What do you anticipate from him as a sophomore?

Ollie: The same thing, but I don't expect to see just flashes. I expect him to be a consistent player for us. People really didn't see his offense, but he's gotten so much better in that area of his game. He's got jump hooks now that he can go to over his right or left shoulder. He's doing that a lot more effectively and now we just want him to rebound. That's what I'm pushing him towards -- I want him to be a monster. He's still going to be able to block shots, but I want him to be the total package as a player and he's certainly capable of doing that.

CBSSports.com: Probably the unsung presence on both sides of the floor during your title run was Niels Giffey. Who replaces his intangibles on defense and his timely shooting on offense?

Ollie: We've got a lot of players who can do that. Kentan Facey will step into that role and bring some intangibles, doing all the dirty work for us. Phil Nolan is going to be in the mix, too. He's added 20 pounds since the end last season. Sam Cassell Jr. is going to do a lot of those things too -- get long rebounds and make timely shots -- stuff like that. We've got a lot of guys that can step into those roles and they've got to focus on that and do what it takes to allow us to win. Hopefully they understand that that's their role. We want to win basketball games and sometimes you get to shine and sometimes you don't, but if UConn wins then we all get to eat at the end of the day.

CBSSports.com: Expectations are always high at UConn and that's never going to change. What has to happen for this group to play its best basketball when it matters most in March?

Ollie: We've just go to pay attention to details right now. You can't be distracted by the crumbs, because the cake is at the end of the season. A lot of people are grabbing for the crumbs and get frustrated if we lose a couple of games here or there but you need to understand that we want to go after the cake. We want to be right when the time is right in March and April and we can't distracted because injuries happen or something happens where we're not playing our best basketball. We need to stay with the program. We need to stay with the process. We have to have the mindset that if we're always learning then that's when we're most successful.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...nns-kevin-ollie-on-title-keys-to-getting-back

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie is turning to the new Woody Allen when it comes to recruiting.
Woody, in a conversation about fame, remarked that it allows him to strike out with a higher class of woman.
Since his national championship, Ollie has lost Prince Ali but gained Enoch from Bridgeport, a lifelong Husky fan he could hardly lose and Jalen Adams from Bazz's old stomping grounds and a Bazz admirer.
Ollie has yet to land a big name recruit due to his championship but he has made a lot of home visit
to five star recruits.
And like Allen he is striking out with higher class of prospects- so far.

Reaction Score
The players don't get to eat if they lose? Wow, that KO is a tough man.

Reaction Score
Woody, in a conversation about fame, remarked that it allows him to strike out with a higher class of woman.
Since his national championship, Ollie has lost Prince Ali but gained Enoch from Bridgeport, a lifelong Husky fan he could hardly lose and Jalen Adams from Bazz's old stomping grounds and a Bazz admirer.
Ollie has yet to land a big name recruit due to his championship but he has made a lot of home visit
to five star recruits.
That is the strangest first post since Chap.
UCONN has not been known and never has hung it's hat on getting top 10 players- we get players that buy into the system. Saying that KO is striking out - at this time -is just plain stupid- many of the kids we are going after have not committed yet. You a PC fan?- if so you have bigger worries.

Reaction Score
Great interview.. Great to see the exposure both he and UCONN are getting. Can't wait to see the growth of this team this year. The process s/b very exciting to see the Dec. team vs the the March team. As UCONN fans we are surely blessed!

Reaction Score
to five star recruits.

How can this possibly be your take on that awesome interview? Nice first post. I would create a new username and try again.

Reaction Score
most 5 stars do not become stars and many times are not even serviceable

they don't have work ethic UCONN style

they want the easy jaunt to nba but many wind up in Europa in an apt above witch witch is witch after attending cakewalk clg

the true students of game tend to look closer at snow belt Yukon I mean UCONN because if they have the supreme confidence in their game like new rip or purv they are willing to invest in a little adversity to hone the total package vs basking in sun with hostesses dd cupcakes

Reaction Score
to five star recruits.

1. WAY TOO EARLY to say he struck out.
2. Adams is a 5 star (rivals) recruit
3. Enoch is from Norwalk

Reaction Score
to five star recruits.
Got a story about a bridge for us, Mr. Killington?

Reaction Score
most 5 stars do not become stars and many times are not even serviceable

they don't have work ethic UCONN style

they want the easy jaunt to nba but many wind up in Europa in an apt above witch witch is witch after attending cakewalk clg

the true students of game tend to look closer at snow belt Yukon I mean UCONN because if they have the supreme confidence in their game like new rip or purv they are willing to invest in a little adversity to hone the total package vs basking in sun with hostesses dd cupcakes

Complete nonsense. Well done.

Reaction Score
Very insightful interview but the part that stood out to me the most was him expecting Facey to step into the role Giffey was in last season. Big shoes to fill but coach has sounded confident about Facey all off season

Reaction Score
to five star recruits.

Prince who?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie: We've just go to pay attention to details right now. You can't be distracted by the crumbs, because the cake is at the end of the season. A lot of people are grabbing for the crumbs and get frustrated if we lose a couple of games here or there but you need to understand that we want to go after the cake. We want to be right when the time is right in March and April and we can't distracted because injuries happen or something happens where we're not playing our best basketball. We need to stay with the program. We need to stay with the process. We have to have the mindset that if we're always learning then that's when we're most successful.

Best olliesm this year. Cuse fans tout their consistent collection of crumbs in January and February and lament why those crumbs haven't added up.

UConn eats that cake.

Reaction Score
"You can't be distracted by the crumbs, because the cake is at the end of the season." KO is too much, love that guy, who wouldn't want to play for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom