CBS Sports Power Rankings for Next Year. | The Boneyard

CBS Sports Power Rankings for Next Year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good article and good analysis. One of the better ones I've seen. Some may disagree, but clearly the writer has done his homework.

I think ND is too high at 13. Probably more like low 20's. But we will see...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The writer is Matt Ward. Some might notice him from the recruiting thread because he's a coach who writes extensively on the women's game and has a significant interest in UConn.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts after reading:
-Not sure who the writer, Matt Ward, is but great article. Don't agree with all his predictions but he did his homework better than most writers in years and brought up a number of interesting comments.
-I don't remember a season where transfers and frosh will play such a big role in the National Championship. UConn will be like many teams in its reliance on frosh to play critical roles in critical games.
-Matt comments that Boston could be top player in country. Certainly a top 10 player but much will depends on her conditioning. I watched every game I could that she played in last year and saw some amazing performances and some where she was good, but seemed slow and not in game shape. While I wish UConn had more size to defend her (likely in National Championship game), I suspect ONO will be stronger and understand more of the schemes needed to stop a big body. I also think this coming years UConn team will be faster, quicker and better passers, all skills needed to beat South Carolina.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
-Matt comments that Boston could be top player in country. Certainly a top 10 player but much will depends on her conditioning. I watched every game I could that she played in last year and saw some amazing performances and some where she was good, but seemed slow and not in game shape.

She was probably the most impactful defender in the nation and averaged 9-1/2 rebounds and 2-1/2 blocks in 24 minutes. I'd hate to see what she does if she's in shape.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
FWIW, there's another ongoing thread about this on the General board here. Mods may want to combine the threads since some of the same talking points are in both? Thanks!

Reaction Score
If Matt Ward has such a significant interest in UConn, why no mention of Piath Gabriel or Nika Muhl? They will certainly provide talent and depth to this year's team.

Reaction Score
If Matt Ward has such a significant interest in UConn, why no mention of Piath Gabriel or Nika Muhl? They will certainly provide talent and depth to this year's team.
I think he did when he mentioned depth won't be a problem, just didn't mention them by name

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think he did when he mentioned depth won't be a problem, just didn't mention them by name
Plus, anyone could just list the entire roster as "players that can help" next season, really for any team. But with a healthy Evina and Paige as guard additions, and how raw Piath is, I think those 2 (Piath/Nika)have the most question marks surrounding them.

I will say - everything I've read about Nika I love. She sounds tough as nails, fearless, and is not only ready to compete for PT, but looking forward to it. That sort of attitude will earn her plenty of minutes if she's able to back it up with any sort of skilled play.

I realize losing Megan drops UCONN down a peg or 2 in the eyes of the prognosticators, but I think SC losing 2 starters hits them just as hard as UCONN's losses. Additionally, we know their now-sophomores will be really good, but we have really good freshmen coming in. Lastly, the game will be played at UCONN in 2021, and if it's in January or so, will give the team plenty of time for the newbies to gel.

Adding Evina, Paige and Aaliyah is better IMHO than what any other team in the nation adds to their roster. Add to that Mir, Nika and Piath, and we have depth AND skill at every position.

Reaction Score

If you're talking depth, then you need to mention the players' names or why bother. Most people have no idea who Piath and Nika are. He mentioned the other 3 recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom