CBS: Louisville agressively pursuing Big 12 membership | The Boneyard

CBS: Louisville agressively pursuing Big 12 membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Multiple sources have told CBSSports.com if/when the Big 12 decides to expand to 11 schools, Louisville will be the choice. "They are clearly the best fit," a college football industry source said. Not only are the Cardinals the overwhelming favorite as the Big 12's 11th team, but sources told CBSSports.com that the Cardinals are aggressively pursuing a Big 12 invitation."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...longterm-decision-looming-regarding-expansion

I'm speechless. Tom Jurich is Marinatto's hero.

Shocked, Shocked. So shocking.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well it's more or less old news, why would anyone expect UL's feelings have changed?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In other news, Louisville is apparently not stupid.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's almost accurate too.

"
Multiple sources have told CBSSports.com if/when the Big 12 Bevo 10 decides to expand to 11 12 schools, Louisville will be the choice. "They are clearly the best fit to be the runt of the litter," a college football industry source said. ...... the Cardinals the overwhelming favorite as the Big 12 Bevo 10's 11th 12th team......

When the Bevo 10 finds an 11th team Louisville will be the first to know they are the runt. The schwanz. The limp little tail. The Costanza of the Bevo 12

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
can't wait for the B12 to fall apart in a few years

anyone know why they lost 4 schools already? not to hard to figure out.

It's just an easy / short term solution. But it's far from perfect. I think it's fools gold, time will tell.

Reaction Score
can't wait for the B12 to fall apart in a few years

anyone know why they lost 4 schools already? not to hard to figure out.

It's just an easy / short term solution. But it's far from perfect. I think it's fools gold, time will tell.

The only school that have options are Texas and possibly OU. So even if those 2 schools leave, it's still a better football conference than the Big East and could entice any of the remaining BE schools in a nanosecond.

willie99

Reaction Score
TX and OU are the conference, and there's always a possibility their little siblings tag along

it's all talk and speculation, only time settles this issue

I'm just not worried about were we land

willie99

Reaction Score
I even consider the NBE II a viable option, so that's landing somewhere

a school with our athletic success and proximity to NYC will not be left homeless

Reaction Score
I even consider the NBE II a viable option, so that's landing somewhere

a school with our athletic success and proximity to NYC will not be left homeless
True but there are varying degrees of homes from the mansions in Greenwich to the down and out, decaying mill housing in North Grovesnordale. Right now, the expanded BE is looking something closer to Norwich or New London than Greenwich.

And you need to stop with the proximity to NYC argument. That adds zero to Uconn's chance of moving. If there was any evidence that proximity equals ratings, Uconn or Rutgers would be in another conference today. NYC is a B1G market for college FB. Maybe the Penn State situation will erode a little of their NYC base, but not enough that all those TV sets will switch on Uconn. The only school that had a marginal TV impact in NYC for football that was not in the B1G has moved on.

Reaction Score
I suspect that UCONN is likewise agressivley pursuing other options too. Just not as publicly...the thing is that if Louisville leaves, too, the Big East is not even that good a basketball league, depite the dominance of basketball in its history. We need to get out.

willie99

Reaction Score
I thought recent marketing studies found UConn to be the most popular college program in NYC?

pretty sure there was a link in this forum

Reaction Score
I thought recent marketing studies found UConn to be the most popular college program in NYC?

For FB? Again, if this is true and it and translates into TV sets, why isn't Uconn in a different conference? We know it is not blind loyalty to the BE. So while Uconn may be the most popular college program in NYC, that means that NYC does watch Uconn FB in numbers that would entice an invite.

Reaction Score
Louisville has options that we don't currently have. The B12 is most likely going to expand back to 12 and Louisville is a fit geographically now that WVU is in. I'm sure we've told them that we are interested but I'm guessing that the B12 is not too hot for UConn. Rutgers and Cinci both have a better chance than us. I think the New Big East will be serviceable but is obviously more of a fixer upper than a mansion. If we lose 2 additional programs to the B12 I would expect to see Temple and Memphis on the short list of expansion candidates and we would still need one more to get to 12 once Navy comes in 2015. I'd guess they'd make another run at Air Force and/or BYU at that point.

Reaction Score
It's almost accurate too.

When the Bevo 10 finds an 11th team Louisville will be the first to know they are the runt. The schwanz. The limp little tail. The Costanza of the Bevo 12

Come on now, you cannot take that title away from Iowa State

Reaction Score
if Louisville is aggressively pursuing the B12 it's all the more reason to really hold WVU's feet to the fire as best we can.

Reaction Score
The only school that have options are Texas and possibly OU. So even if those 2 schools leave, it's still a better football conference than the Big East and could entice any of the remaining BE schools in a nanosecond.

Exactly. If people expect a repeat of when Colorado/Nebraska/Missouri/Texas A&M left, they'll be waiting a while. While Texas' long term future remains in doubt, I don't see any other schools outside OU having viable options. And maybe those schools drag along some in-state brethern (OSU, Texas Tech) to a new conference. But that still leaves a core that includes Kansas/Kansas State/West Virginia/possibly Lousiville. That core looks better than what the Big East has. It will be the Big 12 inviting replacements, not the Big East poaching back from the Big 12.

Reaction Score

This would be significant if college basketball was important in NYC. It isn't and the same goes for Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom