CBS Fowler gives hire B+ | The Boneyard

CBS Fowler gives hire B+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sharing...

>> 5. Considering the circumstances, UConn did pretty well with the Bob Diaco hire.

Michigan State DC Pat Narduzzi was the natural fit but he didn't want the job. Neither did Fresno State's Tim DeRuyter. But Diaco's a proven defensive mind at a high level and, according to Twitter, killed the press conference.

Ball State's Pete Lembo would have been a heady hire but overall it's hard to complain with Diaco. AD Warde Manuel gets a B+.<<

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ily-updates-on-florida-oc-arkansas-state-more

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Just sharing...

>> 5. Considering the circumstances, UConn did pretty well with the Bob Diaco hire.

Michigan State DC Pat Narduzzi was the natural fit but he didn't want the job. Neither did Fresno State's Tim DeRuyter. But Diaco's a proven defensive mind at a high level and, according to Twitter, killed the press conference.

Ball State's Pete Lembo would have been a heady hire but overall it's hard to complain with Diaco. AD Warde Manuel gets a B+.<<

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ily-updates-on-florida-oc-arkansas-state-more
DeRuyter turned down the job? No fricken way.

Reaction Score
DeRuyter turned down the job? No fricken way.

Turned down and not interested are two different things. Turned down means there was an offer. He could have just deflected the interview request.

Reaction Score
DeRuyter and I have something in common.

Neither of us wanted the job because neither of us were on the list.

Maybe but Fowler was the only one that reported that TD was on UConn's radar early on so there may have been an initial inquiry of interest by PES:

>>4. One of the coaches on UConn's radar is Fresno State coach Tim DeRuyter, who might not be in the mix for the USC job but should garner plenty of interest in the next few weeks. USC is casting a wide net in its search led by Parker Executive. I'm told the Huskies are willing to spend, too -- maybe not USC money, but the $1.8 to $2 million range.<<

(obvious USC typo @ beginning of sentence. )

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Warde says he interviewed 9 people. Don't know if he interviewed DeRuyter, but there is no way he wouldn't have if DeRuyter was willing.

Reaction Score
B+ is about right until they play some games.

Pretty sure no one that mattered gave UConn as high as a B+ last time UConn hired a football coach.

the CTHSFB coaches Assoc gave the last hire an A+

Reaction Score
Warde says he interviewed 9 people. Don't know if he interviewed DeRuyter, but there is no way he wouldn't have if DeRuyter was willing.

Nine People- The obvious - Diaco, Narduzzi, Lembo, Weitz, Clawson
The possibles - Ambrose, Morhead, DeRuyter

Then there are 2 or 3 mysteries.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jacobs said that Clawson was not interviewed for whatever that is worth.

Reaction Score
Jacobs said that Clawson was not interviewed for whatever that is worth.

I recall seeing that Clawson was interested, but everything changed for him when the WF position opened up. Apparently that changed his thinking as it was virtually a "dream" job for him.

Reaction Score
Why was Narduzzi the natural fit?

Just to be clear, "journalism" is now - I made up a list and I need to be right so I will say 1 of the guys I put on the list was not interested thereby confirming my story. Got it.

Reaction Score
Why was Narduzzi the natural fit?

Just to be clear, "journalism" is now - I made up a list and I need to be right so I will say 1 of the guys I put on the list was not interested thereby confirming my story. Got it.
probably cause he was born in New Haven..

Reaction Score
B+ is about right until they play some games.

Pretty sure no one that mattered gave UConn as high as a B+ last time UConn hired a football coach.

WHAT? UConn hired the "Winningest" Coach in the Big East and the experts didn't give UConn at least a B=? What an outrage. And he had NFL experience to boot. Plus he numerous times he was in the "same room" as Donovan McNabb. How ever could he not be a "Rock Star".

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Fair grade considering he has no head coach experience. What he lacks for in experience, he MORE than makes up for in energy and confidence. I think UCONN will have a different, refreshing kind of swagger on their sidelines going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Reaction Score
Yeah but their opinion no longer matters

Yeah, and they are the group that condones that Connecticut being just about the last state in the country to start each new high school football season. Never understood that. Hot weather states down south start at end of August, Connecticut mid-September about 3 to 4 weeks later. They also insist on keeping Thanksgiving Day rivalries (and I truly did love them back in the day) when the fact is a large number of schools play on Wed night. And there is a growing trend towards Tues. night. All this, before the state playoffs begin, which OBTW, Good luck playing in the snow in the middle of December. And to think they wasted all that good Indian Summer weather back in Sept.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair grade considering he has no head coach experience. What he lacks for in experience, he MORE than makes up for in energy and confidence. I think UCONN will have a different, refreshing kind of swagger on their sidelines going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

If Fowler had backed up his grade with your comments this thread wouldn't exist.

Instead, he mentions other candidates as if they would have given UConn an A if they hired some of the others.

Reaction Score
The die is cast. All that matters is in front of us and that's winning. My 3 cents is he's a winner.

Reaction Score
probably cause he was born in New Haven..

And moved out of there when Nixon was president. That's what I assumed and, by the way, makes it as natural a fit as say saying Saban would be a natural fit at West Va.

Reaction Score

acobscourant10:18am via Web
Per report Fresno's DeRuyter didn't want UConn FB job.Sources indicate he was on initial radar among many. Never interviewed. Not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom