CBS Dodd expansion thoughts | The Boneyard

CBS Dodd expansion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fairly well-written and gives some perspective on it all.

Plus, it makes flipper look like the loud mouth blabber that he is.

Reaction Score
Spackler lecture on not to believe anything from ESPN, Fox, NBC, or CBS without direct quotes from presidents or commissioners in 3......2.......1........

Reaction Score
Spackler lecture on not to believe anything from ESPN, Fox, NBC, or CBS without direct quotes from presidents or commissioners in 3......2.......1........

Exactly. The big east is sitting right on the battle lines of some very powerful media entities.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The big east is sitting right on the battle lines of some very powerful media entities.
No they're not. The Big East, as it stands now, is not relevant. Notice they weren't mentioned in this article beyond a passing sarcastic reference. Get your head out of the gutter. The Big East is no longer a worthwhile conference to be a part of.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nothing new here.

I wrote on another thread the real fear:

1) the B12 adds 4 teams.
2) 9-game conference schedules
3) the SEC and B14 enter into Jerry Jones Bowl agreement that matches the PAC/ BiG Rose Bowl agreement
4) The SEC14/B14 schedule a matchup game for each of their 14 teams as the Pac/BiG did with their 12 teams.
5) The Big 4 eliminate the Conference Championship games. Instead, the 8 divisional winners in the Big4 advance to an 8-team playoff featuring two teams from each conference.

Phase I (by 2014) : B 12 adds FSU, V Tech. and the 4 game playoff

Phase 2 (By 2020): B 12 adds Clemson, UNC, or Louisville. Pick 2 teams. The Big 4 adopt the 8 team playoff.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nothing new here.

I wrote on another thread the real fear:

1) the B12 adds 4 teams.
2) 9-game conference schedules
3) the SEC and B14 enter into Jerry Jones Bowl agreement that matches the PAC/ BiG Rose Bowl agreement
4) The SEC14/B14 schedule a matchup game for each of their 14 teams as the Pac/BiG did with their 12 teams.
5) The Big 4 eliminate the Conference Championship games. Instead, the 8 divisional winners in the Big4 advance to an 8-team playoff featuring two teams from each conference.

Phase I (by 2014) : B 12 adds FSU, V Tech. and the 4 game playoff

Phase 2 (By 2020): B 12 adds Clemson, UNC, or Louisville. Pick 2 teams. The Big 4 adopt the 8 team playoff.
Stop it, too depressing... :(

Reaction Score
And the ACC is?
More so than the Big East? Yes. Without FSU and VT/Clemson, not by much, but at least it'd be more worthwhile than the Big East, though not by much, depending on who the other new ACC teams would be. If it's us and Rutgers, being invited that's slightly more than a lateral move, if it's us and ND being invited, that's a significant upgrade. As long as Miami and one of VT/Clemson are a part of the ACC, they'll be semi-relevant in some manner, if for no other reason than the media thinks they're relevant programs. There are no teams in the new Big East that the media thinks are relevant, besides Boise somewhat - if they can continue their run of success. Everyone else is middle of the road non-BCS worthy programs in the eyes of ESPN and everyone else that matters.

Reaction Score
Carl,

I'm absolutely, categorically and unequivocally 100% on board with your strategic direction to not pay attention to comments about the Big East unless they're directly quoted from presidents or the commissioner. Time to go dark.

In the meantime, let's enjoy an article about the acc's nuts being twisted by a pair of pliers. Here's an article from the top. The website is considered by top southeren journalist like finebaum and barnhart as the top insider source for off field college football issues.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-crushing-would-a-florida-state----miami-departure-be-to-the-acc.php

Checkmate...King-2, over?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm not buying VTech. The legislators went through hoops to get Vtech into the ACC as a partner with UVA. I think there would be a small shitstorm if VTech now tried to go to the Big12.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Carl,

I'm absolutely, categorically and unequivocally 100% on board with your strategic direction to not pay attention to comments about the Big East unless they're directly quoted from presidents or the commissioner. Time to go dark.

In the meantime, let's enjoy an article about the acc's nuts being twisted by a pair of pliers. Here's an article from the top. The website is considered by top southeren journalist like finebaum and barnhart as the top insider source for off field college football issues.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-crushing-would-a-florida-state----miami-departure-be-to-the-acc.php

Checkmate...King-2, over?
There's a number of plausible scenarios that are outlined in there, but the take home message is that either the BE or the ACC will die by schism. (What about both?!?)

I always knew the B1G was a long shot, and that UVa and UNC (and possibly GT or MD) are would-be competitors... if I could ask a genie for one one snippet of knowledge maybe it would be to ask where UConn ranks on the list of potential B1G targets, or for a timetable of when the B1G makes its next move. Probably even the genie doesn't know the answer to the latter.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I'm not buying VTech. The legislators went through hoops to get Vtech into the ACC as a partner with UVA. I think there would be a small ****storm if VTech now tried to go to the Big12.

The only way it happens is if they are able to work out a deal for VT to the SEC or B12 and Virginia to the B1G at the same time. I give that about a 1% change of happening...but that is the only scenario I could see for it to go down given the politician influence in the state of Virginia.

Reaction Score
Exclude half of 1A from participating for a NC? Who will get involved then?

Reaction Score
I'm not buying VTech. The legislators went through hoops to get Vtech into the ACC as a partner with UVA. I think there would be a small ****storm if VTech now tried to go to the Big12.

I think this is vastly overstated. When VPI got the ACC invite, every alumni in the state was calling their representatives and the Governor to get VPI into the ACC and out of the Big East for the good of VPI. Who is going to pressure the Virginia government to step up and block this? UVA alums? They don't think their government is there for the purpose of college football, and many never liked being a conference with VPI in the first place. VPI fans? Nope -- if they want out they will lobby to get out.

The State of Virginia did not push Virginia Tech into the ACC just for the sake of doing so. They did it to help the school. If Tech wants out, there will not be the kind of unanimity to oppose it from UVA fans that would be needed for anyone to listen.

Reaction Score
There's a number of plausible scenarios that are outlined in there, but the take home message is that either the BE or the ACC will die by schism. (What about both?!?)

I always knew the B1G was a long shot, and that UVa and UNC (and possibly GT or MD) are would-be competitors... if I could ask a genie for one one snippet of knowledge maybe it would be to ask where UConn ranks on the list of potential B1G targets, or for a timetable of when the B1G makes its next move. Probably even the genie doesn't know the answer to the latter.

When Delaney wants the genie to do something, he will let him out of the bottle and give him orders. Until that time, the genie knows nothing.

Reaction Score
The only way it happens is if they are able to work out a deal for VT to the SEC or B12 and Virginia to the B1G at the same time. I give that about a 1% change of happening...but that is the only scenario I could see for it to go down given the politician influence in the state of Virginia.
I don't think it would be that difficult for Va Tech to leave. Virginia didn't want them in the ACC in the first place, they were forced down their throat. They really aren't happy being in the same league with Va Tech and would be happy to see them go.

pj

Reaction Score
Anyone else get the feeling that 6 ten-to-twelve team conferences are shrinking down to 5 twelve-to-sixteen team conferences with the ACC and Big East merging? It's just happening in slow motion.

It's hard for me to get too worked up about realignment considering that UConn brings a sizable fan and media market base, as well as a lot of attractive institutional features. UConn is far more attractive than many other schools, eg Wake Forest, Northwestern, Iowa State. As long as TV dollars are driving this, UConn should end up in a good spot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone else get the feeling that 6 ten-to-twelve team conferences are shrinking down to 5 twelve-to-sixteen team conferences with the ACC and Big East merging? It's just happening in slow motion.

It's hard for me to get too worked up about realignment considering that UConn brings a sizable fan and media market base, as well as a lot of attractive institutional features. UConn is far more attractive than many other schools, eg Wake Forest, Northwestern, Iowa State. As long as TV dollars are driving this, UConn should end up in a good spot.

The number of conferences and the number of teams who supposedly have an equal chance of playing for a championship needs to be in excess of 60 and preferably closer to 70 to keep anti-trust, and more importantly, politicians out of the discussion.

The trick is for the schools to set up the illusion of having that high of a number seemingly on equal footing while ensuring the top 20 or so programs are happy and not threatened.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think that the Big 4 conferences would love to see the Big East and ACC merge after losing the likes of FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami, and Louisville. Even if one or two of those listed before don't move to a Big 4 conference, whatever merges after the dust settles would never garner enough votes or whatever they plan on using, to make it to the 4 team playoff. The article is scary in the fact that it's a reality and UConn is not part of that reality. An ACC/BE merger would create enough teams to have 5 power conferences with only 4 conferences really ever having a shot at playing for a Nat'l Championship. To the Big 4 they like that because they can continue their monopoly and have it look like they are including everyone. It's some interesting times ahead for A LOT of colleges, not just the NBE.

On a side note, I liked that Dodd wasn't afraid to openly admit that ESPN has a vested interest in the ACC and keeping it afloat. Clearly no one at ESPN would write an article saying this but I was surprised that a major sports "news" site would allow one of their chief writers to say it. I could see it being said on cfn.com but pretty interesting to see CBS openly say that ESPn has a major hand in all this (not a shock to anyone here).

Reaction Score

You're exactly right about the contents of the article, but I only referenced the acc info because I'm not responding to comments about the Big East unless they are directly quoted by a president or the commisioner.

Reaction Score
Wow, that article was pure rubbish from beginning to end. "Consolidation of power" what a joke, these are schools not armies, and this is not a stupid game show, you don't get to vote someone off the island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom