CBS BBall Contract: $571,000 Per School, Per Year | The Boneyard

CBS BBall Contract: $571,000 Per School, Per Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not questioning your UConn fandom, but you literally are the first person to post any link to bad news regarding UConn on the boneyard.

Does it somehow justify ( if I recall correctly) your stance that we never should've upgraded?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Blow up the football program!!!!!1

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is not per school per year. It is $571,000 for the whole conference per year, which, divided by 11, comes out to about $52,000 per school. Yikes!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is not per school per year. It is $571,000 for the whole conference per year, which, divided by 11, comes out to about $52,000 per school. Yikes!
Hey goddammit, that pays the light bill at the rent for a season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I've never been one to pile on the local writers, but jesus, is Desmond Connors stupid?

Does he honestly believe that a) money is not an issue, b) that we'll have "a ton more" than another conference or that c) the conference will receive more exposure than "what it had"?

It's as if he let Aresco write the article for him.

They'll have a ton more money than the Mid-American or Conference USA, which the American gets grouped with.
But money? Not the issue, especially if the conference performs well on and off the fields and courts. Aresco said if that occurs, the product is better and contracts can be negotiated. The exposure this league is going to get — more than what it had — is the key. Aresco said that there will be an occasional Wednesday football game, but that Thursday and Friday night games will be big as well as Saturdays. In basketball, 113 of 170 games are going on ESPN platforms, and the CBS games are always huge.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
XBox or Amazon will be buying the rights to the AAC next go round. $99 a year for the Mountain, the C-7, and the AAC as a bundle.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I've never been one to pile on the local writers, but jesus, is Desmond Connors stupid? The conference will receive more .

Depends on how you describe ESPN3. As a platform? As exposure? Or a toxic waste dump that is the equivalent of late night talk radio and keeps the inferior programming away from local bidders?

Reaction Score
Depends on how you describe ESPN3. As a platform? As exposure? Or a toxic waste dump that is the equivalent of late night talk radio and keeps the inferior programming away from local bidders?

ESPN3 should not be counted for exposure. Maybe overall reach but never as anything of value.

Reaction Score
ESPN3 should not be counted for exposure. Maybe overall reach but never as anything of value.

ESPN3 was specifically not counted as a platform for the AAC guaranteed games.

The main concern with those games is that they will end up on ESPNU.

I suspect it will really be the deuce.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not questioning your UConn fandom, but you literally are the first person to post any link to bad news regarding UConn on the boneyard.

Does it somehow justify ( if I recall correctly) your stance that we never should've upgraded?
He uses it to justify his company's engineering the circumstances of the Big East, and by extension, UConn's loss of value.

I frankly find his victory dances here as annoying as just about anything on these boards. Nevertheless, it serves as a reminder that ESPN cost our university and thus this state millions in lost revenue. Keep that in mind the next time they come looking for taxpayer money. Write your legislators to let them know that any more corporate welfare for ESPN will result in their dismissal at the next election. A Connecticut company manipulated college sports for their own profit with complete disregard of the damage they did to our university. That should not be forgotten...ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly, I've never been one to pile on the local writers, but jesus, is Desmond Connors stupid?

Does he honestly believe that a) money is not an issue, b) that we'll have "a ton more" than another conference or that c) the conference will receive more exposure than "what it had"?

It's as if he let Aresco write the article for him.

They'll have a ton more money than the Mid-American or Conference USA, which the American gets grouped with.
But money? Not the issue, especially if the conference performs well on and off the fields and courts. Aresco said if that occurs, the product is better and contracts can be negotiated. The exposure this league is going to get — more than what it had — is the key. Aresco said that there will be an occasional Wednesday football game, but that Thursday and Friday night games will be big as well as Saturdays. In basketball, 113 of 170 games are going on ESPN platforms, and the CBS games are always huge.

Well yes he is. Since they get grouped with Mountain West and not the MAC anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that we will all be mildly shocked by how often UCONN games are on ESPN, ESPN 2 or ESPNU

I'm not a BYU fan at all, but it was hard not to notice that their games were on ESPN every week last year, if UCONN gets the BYU treatment it will be great for the school and recruiting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The AAC will be on TV a lot for no other reason than ESPN is bleeding content at a very high rate. There aren't a lot of other choices. The Big 10 and Pac 12 have networks of their own. The Big 12 is split with Fox, and the Big East is only on Fox. ESPN could have 6 ACC basketball games during the week and still need at least 3 AAC games to fill out its schedule.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

And you think Im negative!!!

I was shocked how low the CBS price was. All about exposure at that price. But man, at that price, Im shocked NBC or FOX weren't interested. Even YouTube or Google- hey, think outside the box, experiment.

zls44

Reaction Score
He uses it to justify his company's engineering the circumstances of the Big East, and by extension, UConn's loss of value.

I frankly find his victory dances here as annoying as just about anything on these boards. Nevertheless, it serves as a reminder that ESPN cost our university and thus this state millions in lost revenue. Keep that in mind the next time they come looking for taxpayer money. Write your legislators to let them know that any more corporate welfare for ESPN will result in their dismissal at the next election. A Connecticut company manipulated college sports for their own profit with complete disregard of the damage they did to our university. That should not be forgotten...ever.

Oh, this is the old "Lets blame ESPN because the Big East turned down A BILLION duck*ING DOLLARS" canard?

Don't turn down a billion dollars. Nobody, ever, in human history, has cost someone revenue by offering to give them ONE BILLION DOLLARS.*

Ever.

*exception: the US government

zls44

Reaction Score

Yes.

/wow
//political platform nobody asked for
///religious opinion nobody asked for
////wow

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes.

/wow
//political platform nobody asked for
///religious opinion nobody asked for
////wow
He hasn't broken a story since Camby was banging prostitutes and buying ugly neck chains under Calipari's watch.

zls44

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention /////Syracuse sports update.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh, this is the old "Lets blame ESPN because the Big East turned down A BILLION DOLLARS" canard?

Don't turn down a billion dollars. Nobody, ever, in human history, has cost someone revenue by offering to give them ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Ever.

*exception: the US government
We've been over this so many times it's mind boggling. The facts are clear. You really just end up looking ridiculous when you try to deny them. ESPN systematically gutted the Big East. By writing a check that would be the equivalent of rounding error based upon the obscene amount of profit the make they could have assured that UConn had a soft landing. They choose not to. That must never, never be forgotten in this state. They cost us millions, while they are taking millions in tax breaks. They must never be recipient of corporate welfare again. Any legislator who votes in favor of giving them a tax break should be voted out, no questions asked.

zls44

Reaction Score
By writing a check that would be the equivalent of rounding error based upon the obscene amount of profit the make they could have assured that UConn had a soft landing.

Providing the very same corporate welfare you rail against, interesting.

Reaction Score
So many here thought it was so smart to turn down the money. Why take millions when we could take BILLIONS?

Too bad Dr. Evil was at the helm. Now we have a sandwich.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A very large reason why he have what we have was the then leadership acting as if upgrading Villanova football would have been sufficient for maintaining major conference status. We told the college football world (including our own membership) that we were never going to be serious about building a football conference.

At that point, it was only a question of when other conferences came calling for us to loose quality football members.

Reaction Score
ZLS yes the Big East did reject that offer, but claiming that is the only thing responsible for its demise completely ignores any previous and subsequent action taken by ESPN. Was ESPN justified in taking that action to mitigate their own losses/disadvantage their competitors? Ya maybe and nobody can really fault them for that - but the fact is, when everything shook out, they left the school of their home state on the sidelines. That is egregious, especially considering they had the power and opportunity to avoid this situation.

Reaction Score
On the flip side. I don't remember Uconn out there publicly coercing the other members of the BE to accept the deal. Turnabout is fair play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom