Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Anyone want to send that to the UConn athletic department?

Perfect synopsis of our situation.

Eventually the season ticket holder who's shouldering the burden of paying twice the walk ups pay is going to say f it.

Reaction Score
Let's wait to see how they price next year's tickets. At the current rate I can tell you that I'm not renewing.

Reaction Score
Let's wait to see how they price next year's tickets. At the current rate I can tell you that I'm not renewing.
Wow. That is some statement. When the die hards are waffling, we have problems.

This is the first year I have really considered not renewing for next year and it has less to do with pricing or product and more to do with having a 4 year old and 3 year old and keeping up with their activities. I gave away for tickets and a parking pass to this week's game.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has been lowering or giving away tickets for years and it hasn't seem to bother their fan base. If my health remains ok and I have the money I will buy tickets for next year. I am not concerned how much the person sitting next to me pays. I understand the concern that people have that buy multiple tickets and donate large amounts for those seats. I will not abandon the team.

Reaction Score
Good article on not devaluing the product / pricing strategy.

I don't care what I pay for my blue back seats, as I am donating to the school. They get it thru seats and/or direct $$ to the UConn Foundation.

It's the marketing that gets to me....

Further, the powers that be, here, can't be so intent on filling without long term strategies. There seems to be a point of inflection.

Form the article: "If Viola and Cifu are to remain committed to the Panthers, they have to be committed for a long, slow process to building the fan base back and it sounds like they are."

Are we building a fan base "back" or building a fan base? a better fan base.....
Points on both sides for a great argument for the Rent.

Having watched the attendance and marketing strategies for the last 11 years, one severe item that stood out
that earlier regimes did not appear to take into account was the building of a long term fan base by better marketing
strategies. We see sales price strategy in effect to get people into the seats....but does it put bodies in the seats for the long term
and build that fan base? IMO, the marketing strategy needs work in addition to the sales strategy. Most of the BY will immediately go to the
product on the field as a start....but, realistically, up until HCPPGDL, it wasn't that bad....

Market your valleys, not your peaks....
Long term fan base and bodies in the seats by better marketing of your valleys (and honoring the people amongst us):
1) Better relations with youth groups
a) Scout Day for all of the Connecticut Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. $1 ticket gets you a seat and a noise making plastic horn.
Put them in non-prime seats. Goal is 7,500 Scouts filling empty seats in a special sections.
****Non prime time game like a Stony Brook****

b) Band Day for all Connecticut high school juniors and seniors in their respective marching bands as guests of our own
awesome UCMB. Goal (5,000 extra seats with showtime starting 1 hour before the game). An extra 5,000 horns in the stadium.
They can fill the scoreboard endzone and play at halftime in that endzone as part of the UCMB show.
*****Semi prime time like Temple****

Families:
c) First Responders Day. a day honoring all police, fire and EMT in the state of CT and the very awesome job they do for us every day.
Tickets for their kids are $1. Goal is 5,000 screaming first responders/families with plastic horns.

Better Cross Product Marketing strategies (with existing known UCONN affecinados:
d) Season ticket holders for football get 2 free tickets (1 game) to Mens or womens BB, in November and December...first come first serve, limited basis.
e) Blue back seat season ticket holders get 4 free ticket (2 games) first come first serve to selected non prime time BB games. ...first come first serve limited
f) Season ticket holders in Mens and Womens BB get 2 games (2 seats), non prime time football games as part of their ticket package.
g) UConn Alumni association Life time members get 2 tickets, first come first serve to non prime time football game.(goal 5,000 per game for 3 shi**y games).
h) Restaurant package deals in the Hartford area.
I) Strike up package incentives with Subway and Dunkin Donuts.

Corporate campaign amongst the big corporations whereby sponsorship and advertising in the Rent ribbon board ($2,500 per game) is good for 50 tickets in luxury box seating. Usually empty.
Small corporate campaign for advertising business card size in programs ($200) good for 10 tickets).

I truly believe that the Athletic Dept marketing idea crew needs to walk across the street from their office and meet with the marketing professors from UCONN School of business because their seems to be a disconnect. Pricing is one thing, marketing is another.....

Reaction Score
Colt I agree with all of your points except giving the Boy Scouts plastic horns. Have you ever been around a bunch of 10-14 year old boys? Not a good idea.

Reaction Score
Good article on not devaluing the product / pricing strategy.

I don't care what I pay for my blue back seats, as I am donating to the school. They get it thru seats and/or direct to the UConn Foundation.

It's the marketing that gets to me....

Further, the powers that be, here, can't be so intent on filling without long term strategies. There seems to be a point of inflection.

Form the article: "If Viola and Cifu are to remain committed to the Panthers, they have to be committed for a long, slow process to building the fan base back and it sounds like they are."

Are we building a fan base "back" or building a fan base? a better fan base.....
Points on both sides for a great argument for the Rent.

Having watched the attendance and marketing strategies for the last 11 years, one severe item that stood out
that earlier regimes did not appear to take into account was the building of a long term fan base by better marketing
strategies. We see sales price strategy in effect to get people into the seats....but does it put bodies in the seats for the long term
and build that fan base? IMO, the marketing strategy needs work in addition to the sales strategy. Most of the BY will immediately go to the
product on the field as a start....but, realistically, up until HCPPGDL, it wasn't that bad....

Market your valleys, not your peaks....
Long term fan base and bodies in the seats by better marketing of your valleys (and honoring the people amongst us):
1) Better relations with youth groups
a) Scout Day for all of the Connecticut Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. $1 ticket gets you a seat and a noise making plastic horn.
Put them in non-prime seats. Goal is 7,500 Scouts filling empty seats in a special sections.
****Non prime time game like a Stony Brook****

b) Band Day for all Connecticut high school juniors and seniors in their respective marching bands as guests of our own
awesome UCMB. Goal (5,000 extra seats with showtime starting 1 hour before the game). An extra 5,000 horns in the stadium.
They can fill the scoreboard endzone and play at halftime in that endzone as part of the UCMB show.
*****Semi prime time like Temple****

Families:
c) First Responders Day. a day honoring all police, fire and EMT in the state of CT and the very awesome job they do for us every day.
Tickets for their kids are $1. Goal is 5,000 screaming first responders/families with plastic horns.

Better Cross Product Marketing strategies (with existing known UCONN affecinados:
d) Season ticket holders for football get 2 free tickets (1 game) to Mens or womens BB, in November and December...first come first serve, limited basis.
e) Blue back seat season ticket holders get 4 free ticket (2 games) first come first serve to selected non prime time BB games. ...first come first serve limited
f) Season ticket holders in Mens and Womens BB get 2 games (2 seats), non prime time football games as part of their ticket package.
g) UConn Alumni association Life time members get 2 tickets, first come first serve to non prime time football game.(goal 5,000 per game for 3 shi**y games).
h) Restaurant package deals in the Hartford area.
I) Strike up package incentives with Subway and Dunkin Donuts.

Corporate campaign amongst the big corporations whereby sponsorship and advertising in the Rent ribbon board ($2,500 per game) is good for 50 tickets in luxury box seating. Usually empty.
Small corporate campaign for advertising business card size in programs ($200) good for 10 tickets).

I truly believe that the Athletic Dept marketing idea crew needs to walk across the street from their office and meet with the marketing professors from UCONN School of business because their seems to be a disconnect. Pricing is one thing, marketing is another.....

These are all good ideas, but to build a fan base, it needs to start with the students. Once you get the students involved while they are there, they will come back after they graduate (and bring their families). Every five years you will have 100,000 new fans. If 20% of them come back for a game, you have a season of sell outs.

Getting fans from outside the school is a good idea, but getting those with a vested interest in the school should build the most loyal fan base. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
Wow. Did I pick the wrong year to become a 1st time season ticket holder? I may be looking through rose-colored glasses, but I still feel as a huge Huskies fan, I don't want to jump ship on the team and stop supporting them because of some desperate decisions made by the people controlling ticket sales. It was my choice to buy season tickets this year and I still believe in Bob Diaco and what he's trying to accomplish with the team. Will I renew for next year? Probably, because I want to show support and share in the rebuilding of UConn football that I think will happen under this coaching staff. Call me naïve if you want, but that's how I feel. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Rutgers has been lowering or giving away tickets for years and it hasn't seem to bother their fan base. If my health remains ok and I have the money I will buy tickets for next year. I am not concerned how much the person sitting next to me pays. I understand the concern that people have that buy multiple tickets and donate large amounts for those seats. I will not abandon the team.

I am of the same mindset thruthfully. I am just finding it harder with kids to get to the games. My buddy who gets tickets with me has only been to BYU so far because of his kids activities. So far I have my wife go to those things during FB season, while I go all other seasons. I will have a decision to make.

Reaction Score
I gotta say I'm considering the same with what will be a lackluster home schedule. Been a season ticket holder since day 1 of the Rent but its pointless paying full price. That said i'm not planning on missing any home games and will likely attend the Missouri game but I'm just not going to pay the full price unless they begin to offer incentives (free parking etc). Of course if we can finish the season and make a bowl game i'd be more inclined to renew again next year

Reaction Score

This is the first year I have really considered not renewing for next year and it has less to do with pricing or product and more to do with having a 4 year old and 3 year old and keeping up with their activities. I gave away for tickets and a parking pass to this week's game.

Noey if they don't lower the prices we're looking at MAYBE 10K season tickets next year. I'm not rich. I have a wife and kids to support. I have to justify the couple grand I spend a year on tickets, parking, tailgating, etc. If that makes me a bad fan than so be it.

Reaction Score
These are all good ideas, but to build a fan base, it needs to start with the students. Once you get the students involved while they are there, they will come back after they graduate (and bring their families). Every five years you will have 100,000 new fans. If 20% of them come back for a game, you have a season of sell outs.

Getting fans from outside the school is a good idea, but getting those with a vested interest in the school should build the most loyal fan base. Just my 2 cents.
Agree with you as part of an integrated marketing strategy with my other ideas posted....
"Young grad" and "young grad with family marketing ideas , special parking and pre-game tent for each game. Integrate with UCONN ALUMNI Association. First 5 years after graduation with special season and package deals. .....and ANY UCONN ALUM, any Alumni Association member with child under age of 2 (or 3) can sit inside the luxury box. Reservations required. (Care and concern for the UCONN family, special admittance pass.....let's start those kids EARLY....)

Reaction Score
Although much of what has happened in the last 3-4 years has been tragic for the football fanbase, I'm hoping that Diaco will begin to turn it around. I really didn't think it was so far gone and expected that a new and improved coaching staff would be able to right the ship sooner rather than later. I will support the team thru the lean times and renew season tickets. It's more important to support the football team at this point than it is to support the basketball teams, who also have seen a drop-off in attendance and certainly have done nothing to deserve it. I don't mind the cut-rate prices to get bodies in and sell tickets, but I do mind having opponents fans able to get tickets to seats in donation areas at cut rate prices. Some of the ideas above to get some youth groups involved seemed to have been attempted a few times and it was great to have a new group of fans in our section that were husky fans. When we start fielding a better team we won't have that problem as much. I think it will always be a problem to sell out tickets in this conference, even if all the teams get better. But if we become a top team in the conference and also play a good non-conference schedule at home, it can be possible to build the fan base back up. There will always be people who won't come out to watch a losing team but will for a winner. For now, we will have to be satisfied with maintaining the die-hards. I don't mind what sanchez just said in that he's unwilling to shell out all those full price bucks for this product but will still come to the games. It's not that much different from people who bought the Fiesta Bowl tickets on the secondary market because they could save some bucks on it. At least they came out to support the team. Anyone who does no matter how they bought the ticket is still filling a seat and helps us overall.

Reaction Score
Best way to appease current season ticket holders is to offer them a discount now for early renewal and maybe offer exanded access and priveleges.

This is the price we are paying for having three going on four bad years. Warde should have fired Pasqualoni after his second year, we could have gotten a headstart on the rebuild.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that offering big discounts when the stadium is 75% full is an invitation to season ticket holders to bail. Things would need to get pretty grim for me to bail on season tickets though.

I don't think the team will be this bad forever, but just as important is going to be OOC scheduling, because the conference does not deliver enough games that excite fans.

Reaction Score
Noey if they don't lower the prices we're looking at MAYBE 10K season tickets next year. I'm not rich. I have a wife and kids to support. I have to justify the couple grand I spend a year on tickets, parking, tailgating, etc. If that makes me a bad fan than so be it.
Whoa, not calling you or anyone a bad fan. Trust me I can relate. I started out a UConn fb season ticket holder as a bachelor. Now married with two young kids, time, money, are at a premium. I took them to the boise game and it gave me agita, as they were ready to leave after the first drive. I've detailed here before how the ticket office screwed me big time and I have stuck it through (love this year's seats though), they never even offered me a discount, or comp me some chair back seats. More than the pricing, I just don't feel that UConn/ticket office gives to much of a flying you know what for their paying customers.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Really need to offer an early renewal discount to retain the season ticket base that they have. Especially if this is another 3 win season.

Reaction Score

I think the bigger aspect for me is how the season ends. If they start looking better and I'm convinced they'll be better next year, then I'm a little more likely to pay what I'm paying now (which is only 25/game, not that much). But if they just suck all season and continue to suck, it'll be much harder to talk myself into it.

Reaction Score
Jimmy - you can just move from 241 and save $100/seat. But I get what you are saying.

OTOH, comparing hockey in Florida (an expansion team at that) to college football isn't the same. There are a lot of built in fans for CFB.

I think the floor is 18K. So if Jimmy goes, he goes. Can't give the tickets away for free. (No offense intended)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes there is an inherent difference between professional and college sports. There is a certain inelasticity in play. Still if you constantly devalue your product it makes it harder to sell going forward.

It's hard to go to a game at XL, the Rent, or even Gampel and think to yourself they really have figured it out.

I'd agree that the floor on season ticket sales is around 17-18k because they get 7 from the students.

If the Panthers are an expansion team still than everyone is. They have been there for like 25 years.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Yes there is an inherent difference between professional and college sports. There is a certain inelasticity in play. Still if you constantly devalue your product it makes it harder to sell going forward. It's hard to go to a game at XL, the Rent, or even Gampel and think to yourself they really have figured it out.

They clearly haven't. But I think it is at the margins. I don't think there is a way to pack the house at current demand levels without giving away a ton of revenue.

Reaction Score

Were in our 9th year of season tickets and I don't think we'll do the next 3 year cycle. A lot of it is the kids sports. This year I've only been able to make Boise. Sold BYU at face, and ate Stony Brook. Now it looks like UCF isn't happening due to a tournament.

A few small things have irritated me over the years too. All the TBA (probably not uconn's fault) make scheduling family stuff stressful and while I know they have to do it, the ticket promotions rub me the wrong way considering we don't seem to get anything special for our loyalty and extra $$$. And finally, I just continue to really struggle to wrap my head around this Conference USA Redux situation and it definitely plays into my thinking. Just being honest, flame away....

Edit: one other thing that gives me pause is how soft the ticket market is, so it's a struggle to get rid of games without taking a bath.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In some ways though its more of a problem for us than in pro sports because in pro sports buying season tickets/packages gives you the opportunity to buy playoff tickets. With the Yankees, for instance, the last few years it has been way more costly to buy a package than to just buy single game tickets on stubhub, and they've lost some season ticket holders, but they still get a lot of them for the opportunity to get playoff tickets. We can't do that, there needs to be some advantage for buying season tickets eventually people aren't going to do it out of sheer loyalty.

Reaction Score
I'm going to keep buying. But assuming my son actually plays varsity next year I will most likely miss games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom