Cav doing work... | The Boneyard

Cav doing work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@goalmouthradio: Former Boston College Eagle Evan Richardson has transferred to UConn. Dynamic, Cavanaugh-type player is an outstanding addition to UConn.

@goalmouthradio: Richardson only played in 4 games for BC last year, scored twice, including once against Minnesota. Will be a part of UConn top 6 forwards.

@goalmouthradio: Before BC, Richardson played in Powell in BCHL. Put up 47 (16g,31a) in 44 games in final season in BCHL.

@SBNCollegePuck: Former Boston College forward Evan Richardon transferring to UConn @UConnMHOC http://post original url/DNbF0yiEGr

Reaction Score
I don't know the rules, but do transfers not have to sit out in hockey?

Reaction Score
Yes they do. However, one alternative for young players is to go back to junior hockey for a year. Richardson just turned 20 so he could still play in the BCHL or USHL for a year and then enter UConn as a sophomore in 2015.

Reaction Score
The article sounded like he has already transferred and would be available for the upcoming season. But apparently not the case.

Reaction Score
Ive been told Richardson is eligible to play this fall i was under the same impression if you transferred you have to sit out a year ??

Reaction Score
I doubt it. The only time I've seen the NCAA waive the requirement for D-I hockey transfers to sit out one year was when Fairfield dropped hockey so the players were allowed to transfer without penalty.

Reaction Score
hockeyfan44 said:
Ive been told Richardson is eligible to play this fall i was under the same impression if you transferred you have to sit out a year ??

Richardson, from BC the likable British Columbia, only played in 4 games for the immensely unlikable BCU. If those games were in their 1st semester, perhaps Richardson becomes available to play for the incredibly lovable Huskies after this fall semester exams. Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
Might have to do with the fact that he didn't play in 2014? I know there are exceptions by sport, baseball players can transfer without penalty and I think soccer players can under certain circumstances, too. Maybe it goes by when he played. I don't know but I heard he will play next season, too. Also heard he was a very nice player. Just didn't fit at BC.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Might have to do with the fact that he didn't play in 2014?

Apparently, the prior message communicating Richardson played in 4 BCU games in the 2013-14 season was not sufficiently clear. I just don't know if all of those 4 games were before the end of 1st semester 2013 finals. If yes, then Richardson's likely available for UCONN games starting after 2014 fall semester.

Reaction Score
According to his Hockey East stats page Richardson didn't dress for any games after scoring against Army on 11/10/13. Off the top of my head I can't remember any mid-year transfers but I think they are technically possible. However, the player must have been in residence at his new school for a year (i.e. Richardson would have had to be at UConn in the spring) and since he was still on the BC hockey roster through the end of the season that requirement wouldn't be met.

Absent meeting some technicality in the NCAA's arcane rules (and that's certainly possible as there are exceptions for things like picking up a JC or CC degree** in between 4 year schools), I don't see how Richardson could play for UConn this year. It would seem his best path would be to get additional experience by returning to juniors for a year and then enrolling at UConn as a sophomore in 2015.

** Edit: Perhaps he picked up some CC or AP credits while playing junior hockey and is working this summer to finish an associate's degree before entering UConn. It seems unlikely because he wasn't a particularly old freshman, but anything's possible.

Reaction Score
@goalmouthradio: Also, hearing NCAA has deemed Boston College transfer Evan Richardson eligible and cleared to play for UConn this season.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I can't remember a transfer whose school didn't drop hockey getting immediate eligibility. I wonder what loophole applied in this case. In any event, he seems like a very good pickup. His background shows him to be pretty adept offensively. I wonder how he does in his own end. He's a small guy, but a lot of defensive play is based on effort and commitment to a 2-way game. If he's solid defensively this could be a huge plus for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom