Catchings to retire in 2016 | The Boneyard

Catchings to retire in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
"I'm planning for the future and what I want to do. I'm putting the word out...probably got about two more years, finishing up 2016. Hopefully go out with a WNBA championship, win a gold medal at the Olympics in Rio and figure out what I want to do next in my life," she said.

http://www.wthr.com/story/26692403/2014/10/02/fevers-catchings-to-retire-in-2016

If she wants to play in Rio, I don't see USA Basketball not letting her. She is still one of the best in the world. Sad to see her go!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When she wasn't hurt this year, Catch played well. If she's healthy and playing well, she certainly will be considered. Same for Sue.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not surprised though to hear of this I hope she stays healthy enough to see it through to the Olympics in 2016

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One of the best players ever. I would like too see her go out with a second championship.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 96

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She may have an uphill battle to achieve either of her goals. MN and Phoenix should be very good for the next few years and maybe LA can get it together as well. And I think both she and Sue will be pressed hard to get places on the 2016 Olympics team, and I give Sue a little higher chance because she is a PG where the mental aspects and experience are more highly valued than at wing/forward. With the current team rookies likely being selected again, Parker and EDD being strong candidates to rejoin the pool when healthy and up and coming players in the wings a 37 year old Catchings may have a hard time.

(I have wondered if the two USA basketball stories about Sue this past month were not sort of tributes in a 'farewell tour' like thing. I think that is a little premature as she has played very well this WC, but ...)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The one opposing player that Geno always singles out as the one he would have most liked to coach (full-time). Certainly an all-timer.... just ask Maya, who idolized her growing up.

I hope she stays healthy so that she can be a real contender for 2016 and Rio. It would be great to see her go out that way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Catchings is from here in the Dallas area and I've had the privilege of watching her play since she was in high school. I was in the stands when she and her Duncanville team won the state championship. I remember the first time I saw her walk into the gym and it was obvious that she was a talent, just the way she moved. She is one of the best ever and one of my all-time favorites.

sTu

Reaction Score
The way USA basketball operates it is likely if she is healthy and playing relatively good basketball she will be chosen for 2016.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She may have an uphill battle to achieve either of her goals. MN and Phoenix should be very good for the next few years and maybe LA can get it together as well. And I think both she and Sue will be pressed hard to get places on the 2016 Olympics team, and I give Sue a little higher chance because she is a PG where the mental aspects and experience are more highly valued than at wing/forward. With the current team rookies likely being selected again, Parker and EDD being strong candidates to rejoin the pool when healthy and up and coming players in the wings a 37 year old Catchings may have a hard time.

(I have wondered if the two USA basketball stories about Sue this past month were not sort of tributes in a 'farewell tour' like thing. I think that is a little premature as she has played very well this WC, but ...)

Catchings is a 3x Olympian and has been with USA basketball forever. Despite being injured, her numbers didn't tail off at all this year and she proved she's still one of the best players in the league. Assuming her playing ability doesn't go completely down the tubes in 2 years (no reason to think it would), she'll get a roster spot. Heck, even if it does, Catchings is recognized as being a consummate teammate and brings great energy, so she should make the roster.

If Geno is coaching in 2016, Bird will make the team. Her numbers dwindled this year (career lows in points, assists, FG%, and steals) but she also has been a staple with USA basketball and is a great teammate. If her numbers continue to dwindle, she might have a hard time making it, but I don't think there's any way Geno doesn't choose her if she wants to play.

sTu

Reaction Score
Are you saying you think that the 12 players Geno wants are the 12 players that are chosen for the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom