Catching up to Leon Barmore | The Boneyard

Catching up to Leon Barmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think this has gotten a lot of attention in the press, but Geno is not as far away from Leon Barmore's winning percentage as he once was, and it's very feasible for him to catch up within the next few years, especially given how well this current team has been performing.

For those who don't know, Leon Barmore was, for about 20 years, the head coach at La Tech, and he currently owns the best winning percentage in Division 1 WCBB history with .8688. After going 25-0 to start this season, Geno is sitting at .8666.

If UConn wins it's next 17 games (that would be winning out this season and winning the first two games of next season), Geno's winning percentage will overtake Barmore's. But even with a less dramatic outcome, catching up to Barmore is still very doable at this point. Assuming that UConn wins 9 games for every one it loses (since Maya Moore came, UConn has done this or better 4 out of 6 years), if my math is right, it will take Geno another 55 games to catch up with Barmore, which should happen shortly after the start of the 15-16 season.

Cool stuff!

Reaction Score
Geno reaching number 1 for all time wins is another matter altogether, however. Geno would need about 4 seasons after this one to catch-up with Pat Summitt. Even more difficult, he's currently 49 wins behind Tara Vanderveer, who isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've always thought Geno would catch Barmore. What is even more amazing than that he is close, is how long it takes to do it; how little each win nudges up the career percentage.

Reaction Score
It is amazing. I remember that in 2005, when UConn played Tennessee, Pat and Geno had approximately the same percentage at ~.841. After a decade more successful than anyone else has had, he's only up to .867.

Reaction Score
And he's ~260 behind Summitt? Would take at least 7 more seasons do that. Not clear he'll be around that long.

And as you noted Tara is ahead. Not to mention Hatchell. Though Tara may be recording many fewer wins in the next few years -- I could see them only getting 25 +/- wins.

Reaction Score
I don't think this has gotten a lot of attention in the press, but Geno is not as far away from Leon Barmore's winning percentage as he once was, and it's very feasible for him to catch up within the next few years, especially given how well this current team has been performing.

For those who don't know, Leon Barmore was, for about 20 years, the head coach at La Tech, and he currently owns the best winning percentage in Division 1 WCBB history with .8688. After going 25-0 to start this season, Geno is sitting at .8666.

If UConn wins it's next 17 games (that would be winning out this season and winning the first two games of next season), Geno's winning percentage will overtake Barmore's. But even with a less dramatic outcome, catching up to Barmore is still very doable at this point. Assuming that UConn wins 9 games for every one it loses (since Maya Moore came, UConn has done this or better 4 out of 6 years), if my math is right, it will take Geno another 55 games to catch up with Barmore, which should happen shortly after the start of the 15-16 season.

Cool stuff!
GIven the numbers you cite ndmb, I'd be really, really surprised if Geno doesn't overtake Barmore next season.

Reaction Score
And he's ~260 behind Summitt? Would take at least 7 more seasons do that. Not clear he'll be around that long.

And as you noted Tara is ahead. Not to mention Hatchell. Though Tara may be recording many fewer wins in the next few years -- I could see them only getting 25 +/- wins.
Whoops, my quick math was wrong (I was off by a hundred wins).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom