Castle some new highlights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Castle some new highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They're both ball dominant combo guards. Stephon is not a 2G. He may play it here, but he is his team's PG every single minute he's in the game.
I've been watching Newton games all year and he often plays off-ball/2G as they have several guards with handle (Brown, Newton, Whitlock). It's been moreso the last handful of games; especially with Newton being injured as it's forced Whitlock, Brown, and Pennamon to be the point and Castle to be the scoring guard.

Reaction Score
Love his size. One of the areas teams exploit against us is Cole’s size. Shooting over Cole at the top has become a really effective play given how difficult it is to score inside against us.

He’s not some super athlete though with AK, DC, SC, and likely(?) GG I am slightly concerned with our team athletic makeup in a few years. Great size and shooting though.
He’s not a high flyer but he has good athleticism. Smooth players like him often don’t jump out of the gym

Reaction Score
I've been watching Newton games all year and he often plays off-ball/2G as they have several guards with handle (Brown, Newton, Whitlock). It's been moreso the last handful of games; especially with Newton being injured as it's forced Whitlock, Brown, and Pennamon to be the point and Castle to be the scoring guard.

Handling the ball 100% of the time =/= PG. He sets up their plays and runs the offense exclusively.

Reaction Score
Handling the ball 100% of the time =/= PG. He sets up their plays and runs the offense exclusively.
Definitely less than 100%...

Here's just the highlights (versus the entire game) of their last game:

Notice Brown (and others) running possessions with Castle on a wing.

Reaction Score

Does RJ run every play for us? Is he not our PG?

When that team needs a bucket bad, Castle has the ball in his hands telling kids what to do. That's your PG.

Everyone else on the team is too reckless to be a PG.

I've watched numerous full games and every single highlight. Believe me or don't, the kid is a PG. Period.

Reaction Score
Does RJ run every play for us? Is he not our PG?

When that team needs a bucket bad, Castle has the ball in his hands telling kids what to do. That's your PG.

Everyone else on the team is too reckless to be a PG.

I've watched numerous full games and every single highlight. Believe me or don't, the kid is a PG. Period.
Ok, you're 100% right.

Reaction Score
He plays mostly as an off-guard for Newton. That doesn't mean he can't play PG, just that he hasn't.

Reaction Score
He plays mostly as an off-guard for Newton. That doesn't mean he can't play PG, just that he hasn't.

How many game highlights have you watched? How many full games have you watched? This is completely inaccurate.

He moves to off ball when the short kid with the dreads comes in because he's a natural guard too. Every other minute he's playing the point.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
He’s not a high flyer but he has good athleticism. Smooth players like him often don’t jump out of the gym
He's not Andre, or Bouk, but the guy can jump & is a good athlete. He also seems to play with great pace & has the ability to assess/anticipate the defense, while simultaneously attacking/distributing. This is very difficult to do --- even for veteran point guards.

His length & footspeed should allow him to defend 1-3. If he continues to improve his handle & defense, then I can certainly buy why Hurley believes he won't be here long. Exciting times for the program.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Do you not remember that Kemba in 2011 spent some possessions off the ball while Shabazz/Beverly ran the point? Or same thing in 2014 with Shabazz off the ball so Boat could run the show. They were still our point guards those years.

Reaction Score
Do you not remember that Kemba in 2011 spent some possessions off the ball while Shabazz/Beverly ran the point? Or same thing in 2014 with Shabazz off the ball so Boat could run the show. They were still our point guards those years.

No. This is 1972 and my PG is the only one who ever dribbles. Get it right, Rico.

Reaction Score
I do remember - just like Andre brings the ball up and plays as a PG sometimes now even though RJ is the overall floor general. My point is that Stephon has been off-ball quite a bit. :)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I do remember - just like Andre brings the ball up and plays as a PG sometimes now even though RJ is the overall floor general. My point is that Stephon has been off-ball quite a bit. :)

It's not really a binary thing, where if you take the ball up one time you're a PG, but I'd say if you do it the majority of the time then you're probably a point guard. I would say that Boat and Shabazz were both point guards in 2014 but obviously wouldn't say the same about Andre this year.

Reaction Score
Excellent guard play wins games. Guards should be able to dribble the ball. The most talented dribbler tends to have the ball in his hands the most (per the coach). Always a good thing when you have guards/wings -other than the PG- to offload some of the ballhandling responsibilities based on matchups/foul situation/game flow/unique talents of those players.

Occasionally-- A roster is lucky enough to have a highly-skilled PG that is clearly in control of the offense. As an example- KEA was given the keys to the car by JC his freshman year.

Reaction Score
It's not really a binary thing, where if you take the ball up one time you're a PG, but I'd say if you do it the majority of the time then you're probably a point guard. I would say that Boat and Shabazz were both point guards in 2014 but obviously wouldn't say the same about Andre this year.
Re-read what I actually said: "Andre brings the ball up and plays as a PG sometimes now even though RJ is the overall floor general." I didn't say Andre is THE point guard - just that sometimes he brings the ball up and plays as a PG does. Watch when RJ is out, when the other teams focuses on RJ, etc and you'll see Andre bringing the ball up and acting as the point on some possessions. :)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Re-read what I actually said: "Andre brings the ball up and plays as a PG sometimes now even though RJ is the overall floor general." I didn't say Andre is THE point guard - just that sometimes he brings the ball up and plays as a PG does. Watch when RJ is out, when the other teams focuses on RJ, etc and you'll see Andre bringing the ball up and acting as the point on some possessions. :)

I'm not disputing that he runs the point on some possessions. My point is that you can play off the ball some and still be considered the team's point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom