Castle reminds me of Marcus Smart | The Boneyard

Castle reminds me of Marcus Smart

Reaction Score
The comparison to Jimmy Butler has been thrown around a lot. I see a lot of it, but Castle is actually a pretty bad mid-range shooter and Butler is elite in that range.

In terms of defense, the Butler comparison is very good. Mentally they seem similar to me too.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can compare him to Smart because of the big height and position difference.

I think the Jimmy Butler comparison is a very good one. Both elite defensively, but I think Steph will probably be an even better defender. Jimmy also struggled with his shot early on, but turned into a decent enough 3 point shooter hovering in the 33-37% range which I definitely think Steph can emulate as well. Jimmy also averages right around the 20 ppg mark which I think could be the ceiling for Steph also.

I think SGA is too good of a scorer overall. I just can't imagine Steph averaging close to 30 ppg.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yep. And he will develop that three just as Smart did.
Can't tell if you're serious but Smart is a career 32% shooter. Which is not good, especially considering the volume.

caw

Reaction Score
Can't tell if you're serious but Smart is a career 32% shooter. Which is not good, especially considering the volume.

Not the poster so not necessarily speaking for him but Smart started much, much worse. His first four years were very bad (three were at or below 30%). Then years 5-9 were all above 33% before dipping to 31% this year.

I imagine that’s what he meant by developing a shot.

That said, I think he has better mechanics.

The Butler comparison kind of falls apart at the FTR and mid-range ability (though Castle did flash some of the later here and there).

Not worried either way. Castle will carve a niche for himself wherever he goes with his maturity, work ethic and foundation.

Reaction Score
I’ve always thought jimmy butler since we were recruiting him. A lot of same qualities.

Reaction Score
Castle has a presence about him that’s very unique.. nothing seems to rattle him.and he reminds me of Tyreese Martin with his toughest..Castle seems to do everything well offensively and is one of the best defensive players I have ever seen… I don’t know the top players in the draft, but I wouldn’t want to be the team that passes on Castle

Reaction Score
its uncanny how similar he was to a young jimmy butler this season for the team. I think in HS he flashed some previously mentioned comps like SGA as the lead number 1 option, scouts will do their due diligence and see has the upside to be a potent offensive weapon. He has creative physical finishing/floaters like jimmy but also unique vision as a passer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't think you can compare him to Smart because of the big height and position difference.

I think the Jimmy Butler comparison is a very good one. Both elite defensively, but I think Steph will probably be an even better defender. Jimmy also struggled with his shot early on, but turned into a decent enough 3 point shooter hovering in the 33-37% range which I definitely think Steph can emulate as well. Jimmy also averages right around the 20 ppg mark which I think could be the ceiling for Steph also.

I think SGA is too good of a scorer overall. I just can't imagine Steph averaging close to 30 ppg.

Not the poster so not necessarily speaking for him but Smart started much, much worse. His first four years were very bad (three were at or below 30%). Then years 5-9 were all above 33% before dipping to 31% this year.

I imagine that’s what he meant by developing a shot.

That said, I think he has better mechanics.

The Butler comparison kind of falls apart at the FTR and mid-range ability (though Castle did flash some of the later here and there).

Not worried either way. Castle will carve a niche for himself wherever he goes with his maturity, work ethic and foundation.

I'm a Celtics fan and I've followed Smart's career very closely. If Castle "develops" a shot like Smart's he's not going to be a star. He needs to do better shooting-wise. And I think he can.

Reaction Score
I understand what you mean, but i think SGA is his trajectory. Shea was a better shooter at this point, but Steph is a better playmaker than year 1 Shea.
You have to take into account circumstances too. If SGA played for Detroit and not in a pure 5 out system, he wouldn't be scoring 30 either. If he played with another ball dominant player, things would be different as well. A lot of things had to come together for Shea to become what this years Shea has become. I think, if given a system and circumstances like those, and an improvement in his shot over his first few seasons (this always takes a while), he could be that type of player.
I sincerely doubt that all those things come together exactly the way they did for Shea, but if by some miracle they did, then i think that's his comp. If he's a similar player in a terrible circumstance with no spacing, then maybe his ceiling is a player like this seasons Cade Cunningham. I think these 2 players have some real similarities in their games. 1 of them is in the best possible situation, and the other is in maybe the worst.

Reaction Score
He could be Josh Hart or Marcus Smart tomorrow, my opinion.

I think Jimmy Butler / Jaylen Brown is peak.

Came here to post the Hart comp after watching this game. I think we all suspect that Steph has way more in his on-ball bag so his upside is much higher, we just didn't get to see it this year.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Agree with @runner11 that his ceiling is as a better creator than we’ve seen, probably better than Smart/Butler/Brown, but I don’t know if he can get to SGA levels there (though it’s possible).

He’s got more PG skills than Brown and Butler, but similar profiles athletically.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Jaylen Brown is a much more vertical athlete than Castle. Longer wingspan and higher jumper.

He certainly is more aligned as a player with Butler, just his size, defensive ability and offensive strengths align with Brown also, IMO.

It’s not to say he plays LIKE him, but he projects as a similar type of player to me, if that makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom