2023 Recruiting: - Castle highlights at Wooten Camp | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Castle highlights at Wooten Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has a very mature game. Lots of footwork options, plays with a slower pace, sees the floor. Generally kind of earthbound... but those are All fantastic attributes. Should make adjusting to the college game much faster. Continuing to build on his shooting improvements are going to be key. Same with developing a left hand. Plays like a true PG at 6'6"... amazing.

I like how he pairs with Solo. Solo is the opposite... lower skill, but an absolute freak athlete and bully on both ends of the floor. Should be a really nice 1-2 punch. Gives us a lot of options for looks to throw at defenses to have both of them on the floor.

Reaction Score
He used his left.

Very limited finishing with his left hand... similar to Jalen Adams in that way. Notice that a couple of his turnaround Js (which he will rarely use at UConn... super ineffecient) were because he couldn't thread the needle with his left. Actually reminds me of a slightly less athletic, but bigger Jalen Adams. Very similar games IMO... kind of all-around scoring guards that are nifty and creative finishes vs powerful finishers.

Reaction Score
Very limited finishing with his left hand... similar to Jalen Adams in that way. Notice that a couple of his turnaround Js (which he will rarely use at UConn... super ineffecient) were because he couldn't thread the needle with his left. Actually reminds me of a slightly less athletic, but bigger Jalen Adams. Very similar games IMO... kind of all-around scoring guards that are nifty and creative finishes vs powerful finishers.
I see a kid who has a far higher ceiling than Jalen Adams. Like on a whole different plane.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
He looks ready to start now. Looking forward to see him play next season

Reaction Score
Stephon Castle, Newton High School (GA), 2023 – The UConn commit is one of the players here undoubtedly looking to make an impression on the various McDonald’s voters in attendance. He got off to a good start, showing his typical mismatch game with his combination of perimeter size and strength. He bullied his way into the the lane as usual, but also impressed with some of his reads and decisions in drive-and-kick action, operating as a big lead guard. His shooting is typically the swing skill in his offensive attack, but he knocked enough down to keep defenders honest this morning.

Reaction Score
Smooth and a glider.. Looks for his spots and then finishes at the rim using his size.. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts at the college level vs guards his size who are more athletic than HS kids.. Guessing he'll be highly efficient..esp with a year or two of CBB SnC to work on his explosion (with the ball). Will be fun to watch while he's in Storrs.. Glad he's onboard

BTW.. For those with minor criticisms on his lack of a strong left hand.. Hasn't needed it yet.. Very few HS kids can stop him from getting to his spots being right-hand dominant.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He has a very mature game. Lots of footwork options, plays with a slower pace, sees the floor. Generally kind of earthbound... but those are All fantastic attributes. Should make adjusting to the college game much faster. Continuing to build on his shooting improvements are going to be key. Same with developing a left hand. Plays like a true PG at 6'6"... amazing.

I like how he pairs with Solo. Solo is the opposite... lower skill, but an absolute freak athlete and bully on both ends of the floor. Should be a really nice 1-2 punch. Gives us a lot of options for looks to throw at defenses to have both of them on the floor.

I was going to note this exact thing about how he plays - his pace and craftiness is very mature for his age. Also, he uses his body and strength to absorb contact really well. When that stuff is combined with elite passing and a 6'6 frame, he's going to be a problem.

If he shoots at a high level consistently, he's a lottery pick.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Not sure who the guy is in the first tweet posted but what does he mean by seeing him early? Spring semester for a tournament push??

Reaction Score
elite passing and a 6'6 frame, he's going to be a problem.
Twitch Quote GIF by Hyper RPG

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those write ups really read like the games of the big guards from Nova or Creighton.

Reaction Score
Hate to be greedy but can we have him for 2 years?

Reaction Score
Something about the pace that he appears to play at, reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon. Not uber athletic but everything just looks easy and under control

Really excited to see this kid...too bad we won't get to see a lineup with Castle, Hawkins, Ajax and Sanogo...

Reaction Score
Not sure who the guy is in the first tweet posted but what does he mean by seeing him early? Spring semester for a tournament push??
We don't have a scholarship for him in the spring. Most likely he is saying Castle will see playing time early rather than having to wait/develop.

Reaction Score
Something about the pace that he appears to play at, reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon. Not uber athletic but everything just looks easy and under control

Really excited to see this kid...too bad we won't get to see a lineup with Castle, Hawkins, Ajax and Sanogo...

I got SGA

Reaction Score
Bossi: I’m not sure anybody did more to make a mark with McDonald’s Game voters than future Connecticut guard Stephon Castle. Picking him as the guy who made the biggest impression to me wasn’t easy because the guys that Adam and Brandon talk about plus Layden Blocker were very good as well. But Castle's size, ability to control pace and college readiness stood out to me. If I had been asked to choose which player in attendance I would want if I had to have a bucket during a crucial moment of a live game situation, I’m pretty sure I would have gone with Castle.

Jenkins: As mentioned by Bossi above, Connecticut bound Castle was one of the best performers at the camp and he set the tone immediately during Saturday's morning session. He was simply a man amongst boys in how he got defenders on his hip and made plays with his combination of size, craft, strength, and feel. If there was one takeaway from his dominating showings throughout the past few days, it was his value playing the point guard position with like talent around him. More times than not, he was the best and most efficient player on the floor while in complete control of running the offense.

If there was any doubt whether he's a point guard or a combo guard, this sounds like we have our point guard for next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr