Castle Extensive Scouting Report (No Ceilings) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Castle Extensive Scouting Report (No Ceilings)

Reaction Score
The fact that these analysts keep saying he doesn’t have impressive athleticism shows they really don’t watch the games
If you’re referring to the linked article, that’s not what they said. They said he’s not a “standout vertical leaper”, which is 100% true. Remember, this is all in the context of and comparison to NBA athletes, not college. They specifically say that his athleticism will help him earn minutes at the next level.

Reaction Score
If you’re referring to the linked article, that’s not what they said. They said he’s not a “standout vertical leaper”, which is 100% true. Remember, this is all in the context of and comparison to NBA athletes, not college. They specifically say that his athleticism will help him earn minutes at the next level.
Then im not sure what standout means, he rises quickly and rises high, he’s not Derrick Jones Jr, but he can get up.

Reaction Score
I think the ESPN article made it seem like he was some sort of Kyle Anderson like prospect who can barely get off the ground. I feel like a lot of these dudes only grade athleticism on a who can jump the highest standard rather than the body awareness and proprioception athleticism that it takes to master body control around the rim like Steph does. In that sense he grades out an A for me and his natural vertical athleticism is above average especially with a full head of steam.

Reaction Score
Castle is my favorite player this year. I love the way he plays defense that steal and dunk was a hella of one. This guy has solidified his place in the lottery for sure. Besides Clingan not being in foul trouble a healthy and skilled Castle was the biggest difference from the game earlier in the season against Seton Hall. He takes pressure off Newton and Spencer with his ability to drive and score.
His willingness to be a lockdown defender from day 1 and his basketball IQ separate him from other 5 star freshmen. He seems like a stoic 28 year old out there. He's a special player.

Reaction Score
I think the ESPN article made it seem like he was some sort of Kyle Anderson like prospect who can barely get off the ground. I feel like a lot of these dudes only grade athleticism on a who can jump the highest standard rather than the body awareness and proprioception athleticism that it takes to master body control around the rim like Steph does. In that sense he grades out an A for me and his natural vertical athleticism is above average especially with a full head of steam.
He definitely jumps well. I don’t know how that started. He’s an excellent overall athlete as you mentioned.

Reaction Score
The fact that these analysts keep saying he doesn’t have impressive athleticism shows they really don’t watch the games
He's not like Jordan, Lebron, Vinsanity (who is?) and he doesn't need to be. He's plenty athletic and can measure up athletically with Luka, Tatum, Jimmy Buckets, DeRozan, Jamal Murray, Booker, Paul George, Kawhi, Harden etc.

I don't get why athleticism is always mentioned or some kind of knock on him.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Yeah, if it’s the same article I recall, they essentially say he has “above average” hops versus some of the insane combo guards you see in the league. As a prospect, the tools are all there & his shooting - while streaky - will improve with reps and continued coaching.

Reaction Score
As others have mentioned, you have to consider it's evaluating in the context of draft prospects. Castle has very good athleticism, but not standout among elite lottery NBA wing guard prospects. Strength is often overlooked a bit, because they assume it can or will be added later. His strength and frame for his age is his best feature athletically. His vertical is... good.
Then im not sure what standout means, he rises quickly and rises high, he’s not Derrick Jones Jr, but he can get up.
Yeah it seems you do, because Derrick Jones Jr or guys like Keon Johnson or Shaedon Shape is standout athleticism.

Reaction Score
Feels like you’ve kind of got the gist. There’s a a wide gap between not impressive and elite NBA tool. I’ve yet to see (not saying it doesn’t exist) someone say his athleticism is a detractor at the next level. That’s pretty clearly one of the biggest reasons he’s viewed as a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
The only way he should return frankly is if his NIL exceeds his draft slot. If not then it's a very real decision.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen Hurley’s quotes yet but my beef with Woo’s analysis is in regards to his feel and passing. Steph has great vision, he just hasn’t gotten to play a ton on-ball. His skip passes are tremendous.
I'm going to guess that as much as we all may not be able to properly evaluate a college player's NBA viability, we all have seen Castle play much more than most of these evaluators. If you only saw Castle play a few games, and haven't seen him play a bunch of times recently, you're probably going to say things about him that may not necessarily reflect his skills.

Reaction Score
The only way he should return frankly is if his NIL exceeds his draft slot. If not then it's a very real decision.
Our NIL isn’t that good. And I actually think he’ll be picked before the 10th pick. Plus, it also about getting the best second contact possible. Let’s just enjoy him the rest of the season. He’s a stud.

IMG_4553.jpeg

Reaction Score
It’s not about next year’s income. It’s about being one year closer to and one year younger at all of the subsequent contracts along with the risk of injury coming back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we win it again this year, this kid will have to be huge. And I believe he will, and I believe that we will. But as far as being a lottery pick, I don't see it, not yet. This kid's offensive game is not ready for the next level. I know he will leave because of money. I know that I would too if in his shoes. But he isn't ready yet. He seems like a worker; imagine how good he can be with one extra year with DH? But I know money talks
You can't really believe this crap.

Reaction Score
Our NIL isn’t that good. And I actually think he’ll be picked before the 10th pick. Plus, it also about getting the best second contact possible. Let’s just enjoy him the rest of the season. He’s a stud.

View attachment 97213

Do any schools give $4 million a year NIL deals? I doubt it.

I can't believe I'm even thinking about this.

Reaction Score
As others have mentioned, you have to consider it's evaluating in the context of draft prospects. Castle has very good athleticism, but not standout among elite lottery NBA wing guard prospects. Strength is often overlooked a bit, because they assume it can or will be added later. His strength and frame for his age is his best feature athletically. His vertical is... good.

Yeah it seems you do, because Derrick Jones Jr or guys like Keon Johnson or Shaedon Shape is standout athleticism.
Fair, I agree then. Those guys seem like otherworldly athletes though, standout seems a tier below them. But, it’s splitting hairs I admit.

Reaction Score
It’s not about next year’s income. It’s about being one year closer to and one year younger at all of the subsequent contracts along with the risk of injury coming back.
It is about next year’s income because your analysis changes significantly the lower he’s drafted. If he’s 1-15, it’s an easy choice. 16-30 less so.

Reaction Score
It is about next year’s income because your analysis changes significantly the lower he’s drafted. If he’s 1-15, it’s an easy choice. 16-30 less so.
While I don’t disagree with your overall premise, he’s pretty much a guaranteed lottery pick so it’s irrelevant to this specific discussion.

Reaction Score
Speaking of NIL.. A Michigan FB player supposedly got offered 1.7M to "portal" with some other school for next year.

Reaction Score
Speaking of NIL.. A Michigan FB player supposedly got offered 1.7M to "portal" with some other school for next year.
As long as you're not dropping down to a mid-major to play, how does a 20 year old turn that down? Even if you'll be playing in the NFL shortly.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
He's not like Jordan, Lebron, Vinsanity (who is?) and he doesn't need to be. He's plenty athletic and can measure up athletically with Luka, Tatum, Jimmy Buckets, DeRozan, Jamal Murray, Booker, Paul George, Kawhi, Harden etc.

I don't get why athleticism is always mentioned or some kind of knock on him.
He makes it look effortless at times, when he is defending he doesn't seem put a ton of effort in keeping his guy in front of him and yet keeps him there more than not, at first I thought it was just good positioning but it's more then that, it's great reflexes that allow him to move immediately without wasting a step. He doesn't bounce around with happy feet trying to stay on top of his man, he is decisive & can get the jump on what ever arises because of it.
He has the makings of a great player at any level.

Reaction Score
The kid has been gifted with a man's body at 18 years old (I know he is 19). He can take the pounding he will get next year in the NBA. There is virtually nothing that an extra year in college can give him that he can't receive with an NBA team. I'm glad we have him. It has been great to watch him grow before our eyes. But the reasons for him to leave out weigh the reasons for him to stay -- by a lot.

Reaction Score
First 13 games: 21% from deep, 1.8 attempts (24 total)

Last 10 games: 38% from deep, 2.4 attempts (24 total).

If he can finish the season strong, this is going to bode well for his draftability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom