Casey Cochran on Outside the Lines | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Casey Cochran on Outside the Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I guess it was sometime in the 90's that 'rub some dirt on it' became a bad answer (do hockey players say put some ice on it?). Obviously safety and health have to be paramount. I'm probably a dinosaur for saying this but I sometimes think there is something lost in terms of what we used to call football's life lessons - or maybe its just that we're teaching different lessons to kids today than those that we baby boomers got.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never played a minute of hockey DAG but as a casual NHL fan I can only assume you're right.

Hockey, Rugby, US Football, Boxing, MMA, they are all at a crossroads. How do you protect your athletes while keeping true to the physicality of the sports themselves?
My Son was an All State Soccer Player back in the late 90's who told me that after one header collision with another player things went black. He continued to play as he shook it off. I missed this game as it was CT cup match. I know he was a crazy sweeper who did not turn away from contact. His school did not have football at the time. After taking him to the Rent to see the Huskies he was salivating over the contact. I just hope that his collisions in the less violent game of soccer does not affect him in the future. Hard to believe that Donald Helmet Hair is calling the NFL soft where a lot of tackles are akin to car crashes.

Reaction Score
Really? In this thread?

As I said, putting politics aside for the moment, his comment, which is shared by many (just read ESPN's comments section after Cam Newton was ruled out last week) shows that some people just don't get it and think that people need to 'toughen' up and a 'ding' on the head is nothing even in the face of mounting evidence that concussions are very dangerous. They believe that the old ways were better and I know coaches who still feel the same way. I pulled my own son out of a soccer game last weekend because he took an accidental head-to-head hit that left him with a golf-ball size bump on his head. He even wanted to go back it; but, I am taking no chances as there is a 99.9% chance his career will utilize his brain more than his soccer skills down the road. Fortunately, he's fine and showing no ill effects.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that Donald Helmet Hair is calling the NFL soft where a lot of tackles are akin to car crashes.
Is it really that hard to believe he would say something about a topic he knows nothing about? Be that as it may, this is not a cesspool topic. Concussions are common in soccer. Some pre high school leagues are or proposing making heading the ball a penalty. Soccer is not a soft game either. Soccer players are, on average, probably the most fit of any team sport participant. I have yet to come across a fat soccer player at a high level. Diego Maradona in his latter years is probably the closest.

Reaction Score
Is it really that hard to believe he would say something about a topic he knows nothing about? Be that as it may, this is not a cesspool topic. Concussions are common in soccer. Some pre high school leagues are or proposing making heading the ball a penalty. Soccer is not a soft game either. Soccer players are, on average, probably the most fit of any team sport participant. I have yet to come across a fat soccer player at a high level. Diego Maradona in his latter years is probably the closest.

Not sure if this also resulted in a concussion (about the 5:20 mark); but, the referee involved on this play should never be allowed on the pitch again as high kick to the head is reckless and dangerous, which defines a Red Card, never mind a foul, and FIFA has altered its rules so that plan can be stopped immediately if a head or neck injury is suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom