Casey Cochran on Outside the Lines | The Boneyard

Casey Cochran on Outside the Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This Sunday - 9 am:

Outside the Lines to Debut “Thirteen: The Cochran Concussion Story” on Sunday
“Thirteen: The Cochran Concussion Story” will premiere this Sunday on Outside the Lines at 9 a.m. ET on ESPN2. The story features a father and son, one a football coach and the other a former football player, who discuss how head trauma changed their lives and their relationship. ESPN’s Jen Lada will make her Outside the Lines reporting debut.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing Casey's story. Glad the young man did what he needed to do and hung it up early for his health. Always thought he was a good kid, and could have been a phenominal talent if developed.

Reaction Score
Sad. Casey seemed like a broken man, at times. The guy is literally a genius and could have gone Ivy and done anything he wanted with his life. Hope he pulls through. Seems to have found some purpose sharing his story and it will certainly open up some parents eyes.

Never saw Jack so humbled. Must be killing him to have raised Casey with the "suck it up attitude" where he didn't feel comfortable talking about his concussions.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Never saw Jack so humbled. Must be killing him to have raised Casey with the "suck it up attitude" where he didn't feel comfortable talking about his concussions.
I would guess that pretty much every guy on this board who played football heard a coach say suck it up and play through pain, including concussions. And hey'd probably be doubly tough on their sons. I got reamed by my assistant HC for making the mistake of asking the school nurse for an aspirin because I had a headache. She sent me to the pediatrician and I missed 2 days of practice. Did I have a concussion? Of course. My coaches told me to keep aspirin in my locker after that "incident". Of course, that was sadly about 25 years ago and while they knew about concussions, they did not know as much as they know now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I remember taking 3 Advil each day as a preventative measure. The sh't you'll do for the chance to start.

Reaction Score
I would guess that pretty much every guy on this board who played football heard a coach say suck it up and play through pain, including concussions. And hey'd probably be doubly tough on their sons. I got reamed by my assistant HC for making the mistake of asking the school nurse for an aspirin because I had a headache. She sent me to the pediatrician and I missed 2 days of practice. Did I have a concussion? Of course. My coaches told me to keep aspirin in my locker after that "incident". Of course, that was sadly about 25 years ago and while they knew about concussions, they did not know as much as they know now.

You must have had some serious damage buddy. You just posted this on the women's BB board. :D

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I graduated HS in 1988 and was way different then. Not only did we not know about the dangers of concussions but our bus driver was the dude who taped our wrists and ankles. There was barely zero medical care unless you broke something. I grew up in Danbury so we're not talking a small school here. My brother is a few years older and his buddy got knocked out during a game but eventually returned. Not until he got sick that night did his parent's take him to the hospital to find out he broke his neck in two. The only thing that kept him alive was the two sections never shifted from each other. Doctor's said it was a miracle he survived the first hit but couldn't explain how he survived going back in the game.

We played Greenwich to a 7-7 tie my Senior year and I got my clock cleaned by their fullback on the first series of the game. Knocked me out cold for a few. I went to the sideline, drank some water, held up a few fingers and was back in by the middle of the 2nd Qtr at the coach's urging.

I have video of me intercepting Steve Young's little brother in the 4th Qtr that I have absolutely no recollection of to this day.

Years later I blame that one hit for me being as fked up as I am.

That and the booze, weed and sinful women.

And the BY.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You must have had some serious damage buddy. You just posted this on the women's BB board. :D

That's just good old-fashioned funny right there.

Reaction Score
I graduated HS in 1988 and was way different then. Not only did we not know about the dangers of concussions but our bus driver was the dude who taped our wrists and ankles. There was barely zero medical care unless you broke something. I grew up in Danbury so we're not talking a small school here. My brother is a few years older and his buddy got knocked out during a game but eventually returned. Not until he got sick that night did his parent's take him to the hospital to find out he broke his neck in two. The only thing that kept him alive was the two sections never shifted from each other. Doctor's said it was a miracle he survived the first hit but couldn't explain how he survived going back in the game.

We played Greenwich to a 7-7 tie my Senior year and I got my clock cleaned by their fullback on the first series of the game. Knocked me out cold for a few. I went to the sideline, drank some water, held up a few fingers and was back in by the middle of the 2nd Qtr at the coach's urging.

I have video of me intercepting Steve Young's little brother in the 4th Qtr that I have absolutely no recollection of to this day.

And the BY.

My dad played for Danbury and they beat Steve Young. It's his football claim to fame lol

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

And the BY.

I was too late to edit my post above but wanted to make sure it doesn't come across as making light of the path Casey has been forced to take or the work he is doing. I am a huge fan of him as a Husky player but even moreso of the man he has become since his last snap under center.

My nephew got a concussion as an 11yo during a Pop Warner game. He's a Freshman now and he has no idea that his parents have already decided, rightfully so, that he's an ex football player at the next slight blow to the head. It's just not worth it when you know 99.9% of these kids will end up making a living NOT playing football. I knew that about myself when I was a kid but played at all costs not only for the love of the game but for the slight hint of glory it brought from my peers.

I'm glad Casey and his generation have started to figure out it's not all about the "glory".

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Hmm, well it does say UConn Football at the top of the page.....but I'll take your word for it.

Reaction Score
Hmm, well it does say UConn Football at the top of the page.....but I'll take your word for it.

Well at least formerlurker thought it was funny. But you did look to confirm so there is that. ;)

Reaction Score
Talk about coaches, parents, and players alike pushing players to suck it up, the media hasn't really begun to acknowledge hockey hits at full speed on blades and boards can be even more forceful than on the gridiron ...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Talk about coaches, parents, and players alike pushing players to suck it up, the media hasn't really begun to acknowledge hockey hits at full speed on blades and boards can be even more forceful than on the gridiron ...

Media still hugely perpetuates that kind of culture in football. Almost every game you hear announcers describe 'toughness' as willingness to put the team before yourself by means of playing through injuries. When that kind of culture is instilled, it isn't limited to just lower body injuries--to play through a concussion makes you 'tough,' too. You see it a lot with Shirreffs. I get that he has guts when he takes the ball up the middle of the field and gets pummeled by opposing linebackers, but we're too quick to laud someone for that kind of play. In all honesty, watching Shirreffs play this year has been really worrisome for me. It's hard to see what he does to his body week in and week out.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I never played a minute of hockey DAG but as a casual NHL fan I can only assume you're right.

Hockey, Rugby, US Football, Boxing, MMA, they are all at a crossroads. How do you protect your athletes while keeping true to the physicality of the sports themselves?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek