Caron Butler plans autobiography for October | The Boneyard

Caron Butler plans autobiography for October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/15/caron-butler-plans-autobiography-for-october/

Caron Butler has been very open about his upbringing — in high school in Racine, Wisconsin, he was a drug dealer. He spent time in jail as a teenager and was caught in the middle of all kinds of violence. He ultimately carved out a long, successful NBA career (he’s now with the Kings) and became known for his charitable work. He’s still a staple in the community in his hometown, although now he’s seen as a success story that kids can look up to, not as a casualty of gang culture. On October 7, Butler is going to release an autobiography called Tuff Juice: My Journey From the Streets to the NBA... Along the way, the book explores the incredible impact his single mother’s unconditional love and his college coach’s unwavering support had on him, and what drives him to be so successful in basketball and in life.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, biggest impact for a first year player. Loved his horrible quotes as a younger kid. We're winners, we ain't chicken dinners...or something like that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In my opinion, biggest impact for a first year player. Loved his horrible quotes as a younger kid. We're winners, we ain't chicken dinners...or something like that.

Really? That was a crappy year. We couldn't win on the road. The "chicken dinner" line was embarrassing, coming after a lousy, lucky-to-win game against a bad Quinnipiac team. Caron didn't become Caron until the second half of his sophomore season.

Reaction Score
I made that statement because he missed the first few games and we really, really stunk. As soon as he started playing we clearly had a "best" player.

Reaction Score
Probably Nadav Henefeld. But Butler was definitely up there..

Nadal really does get this nod. He was amazing in his impact of the team that year but also the program. Not enough people understand that. Not taking anything away from Caron love that guy.

Good call intlzncster

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article36067245.html

Caron Butler feeling Kings in for ‘a really good year’ after summer dinner/talks about book
Butler’s book is set for an Oct. 7 release. Butler said he didn’t have a “Come to Jesus” moment that led him to change his life around. But after being incarcerated as a teen, having two friends die and becoming a father at 14, Butler began to turn to basketball as an outlet that led him to the University of Connecticut and becoming a first-round draft pick by Miami in 2002. AAU basketball allowed him to see areas in the country different from the destructive path he was on in Racine, Wisc. A job at Burger King taught Butler the value of hard work and earning a legitimate paycheck. Butler has a reputation for being a strong locker room presence that does not accept anything other than maximum effort and commitment.

Reaction Score

Holy crap this is amazing, I will literally pray that it gets made into a movie.

For years, I think since AJ's brain injury, I've been saying that the saga of UConn hoops should have been turned into a TV show, a season of TV = a season of basketball. You wouldn't even have to make up much drama to make it interesting. I was thinking the show would kick off in some dark times, with the university already having won a ring, maybe season 1 is Emeka/Ben sophomore year.

Since this idea was birthed in my head, I've dreamed of Bob Odenkirk playing Jim Calhoun, because anyone who watched Mr. Show back in the day will remember that Bob is a world class yeller.

Now there's the possibility of a book being turned into a movie that would involve Jim Calhoun, and Bob Odenkirk has never been more well-known... testiculo you must be out there listening

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/09/25/detroit-pistons-caron-butler-book/72807238/

“It can be a challenge playing for Stan Van Gundy because he is still the same loud, animated coach, a screamer when necessary, but always an inspirational teacher,” Butler writes. “There is young talent on that team, guys who are on the cusp of becoming really special players. But Van Gundy knows that, for them to be successful, they’ve got to be confident enough to believe in themselves and the team. “It’s tough, because it’s been awhile since the Pistons have had a winning culture ... so they have been forced to learn on the fly. But they are coming along. “The fact that we were able to pull ourselves out of a 5-23 start and even be in the discussion about a playoff spot says a lot about the guys on the team.”

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

NPR does a full interview of Caron about his life and book. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
I just finished reading yesterday. Great story, a must read for anyone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, I've always thought the Jazz Howard story, and how the university community dealt with that loss, would be an outstanding book/movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom