Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still going with Mickey Donovan

voight.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 12326

My early favorite for lead role: Michael B. Jordan
Exactly who came to my mind too. He might have a schedule conflict, he's set to play Bryan Stevenson in the film adaptation of Just Mercy, which also just got optioned to be made into a movie.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-new...-tuff-juice-drug-dealing-nba-michael-b-jordan

Butler hopes Michael B. Jordan can play his role in the movie, saying, "I think he would do a great job sharing my story."

Reaction Score
I wonder if they'll put in the gilbert arenas story will be in the movie. I'm assuming the powers that be in the nba will disallow that to happen

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
JC was 56 to 57 when recruiting Caron.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I haven't read the book, but if I were write the script if would end with Caron leaving Racine for UConn.

The epilogue would then show actual footage of his UConn/pro-Career with narration.

Reaction Score
I think that Lenny Clarke is a pretty decent option but I have to raise my best choice to play Jimmy C into this new thread. Better Call Saul's own Bob Odenkirk would be the ideal candidate to play Calhoun in a comedy routine without a doubt, but now that he's got clout as a true actor I think he could definitely pull it off.

He looks reasonably like Jim, his best acting trait is his ability to yell hilariously, and he's suddenly kind of known as a solid dramatic actor who can play comedy and tender moments, which I think would be ideal for playing the man, myth, and legend that is Jim Calhoun.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a bit too old or I would go with Liam Neeson as the obvious choice. Edward Norton would be good, but he's only 6 ft tall (born in Boston and has the talent to do any accent). The height it going to be a challenge no matter what.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I still think Kevin Spacey with some weight gain would be great, but what about this promising young actor?
the-shakespeare-center-of-los-angeles-presents-25th-annual-s-1.jpg

Reaction Score
To give you guys an idea of this A+ screaming that makes Bob Odenkirk the ideal choice, I present you with a montage of his best 'yelling' moments:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
To give you guys an idea of this A+ screaming that makes Bob Odenkirk the ideal choice, I present you with a montage of his best 'yelling' moments:

It's a good try, but Odenkirk is still too short. It would be almost as bad as if some moron cast Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

I miss Mr. Show. I wish they would do more than 4 episodes of "With Bob and David"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
@krinklecut Could you find a larger, more unflattering photo? Cripes, that scared the bejeesus out of me!!!

Hackman retired and is about 20-30 years older than Calhoun was when Butler came though. He also played Normal Dale in Hoosiers.
Denaheny is out as he was already (mis)cast as Robert M. Knight. He was also the Cape Cod League manager in Summer Catch. I'd say he wouldn't want to risk type-casting, but I don't remember anything recent, so he may just appreciate the work.
Voight played Adolf Rupp in Glory Road.

Lenny Clarke would certainly work, given the accent and penchant for yelling colorful language. Plus he is Irish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a good try, but Odenkirk is still too short. It would be almost as bad as if some moron cast Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher.

Sorry but I don't think height should play a major role in casting the part. The fact of the matter is that they should actually cast someone who is slightly short or at best average height. Odds are, when they cast the player roles most will not be D1 basketball player height. I don't know how tall Michael B Jordan is, but I don't think he's 6'5", he looks tall on screen so I'm going to guess he's 6'1"-6'3".

So my point in this, is that in scenes where Calhoun is side by side with the players, he's supposed to be shorter than the big guys and a little taller than the small guys, so if they cast an older actor who is like 6'5", he will likely end up towering over the actors hired to play the team, and he really should only have inches on the guards, right?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hugh Laurie could work too?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Yes, wasn't the casting of Cruise just totally wrong?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't read the book, but if I were write the script if would end with Caron leaving Racine for UConn.

The epilogue would then show actual footage of his UConn/pro-Career with narration.
UConn/Calhoun is only a small part of the book but I'd make it a major part of the film as it was critical in Caron's journey to responsible adulthood. Keep in mind that if Marky-Mark bought the rights, he likely is eyeballing a part. That would seem to be Calhoun.

So you start out with Caron's mom worrying about him ending up another thug from the neighborhood. Make the gun shot the first transformative event. Have his mom do a "I raised you to be better than that. You are better than that." speech. Then drift into his early success in basketball.

Move forward to Calhoun (Wahlberg) coming to Racine. It was a huge deal at the time and Calhoun was the only coach to make the trip. Have him do the "Don't have your son come to Connecticut to become a better basketball player, have him come to Connecticut to become a better man" speech. Show Calhoun riding him and Butler eventually winning his trust. End with him being drafted (foreshadow that as the unattainable dream when he was kid in Racine) and then do a post script about the NBA and maybe his son JC. Roll the credits over actual pictures of Caron and Calhoun.

You're welcome Wahlberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro