Caron Butler Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caron Butler Interview

Reaction Score
You are exactly the problem that UConn has. Basketball fans, but not really UConn fans.
Nah, c'mon. By that standard anyone but the most hardcore of fans are "the problem".

UConn's descent to no-buzz status was, sad to say, pretty much inevitable. It's not just the conference, and it's not just that we aren't winning. But that combination of both, simultaneously occurring in football and basketball, has become very, very toxic over the last 5 years. Some people will be interested in watching their school get trounced by big name competition, and some people will be interested in watching their school trounce no-name competition. But very few are interested in watching their school get trounced by no-name competition year in and year out. People have lives.

Regarding the article, this:

But I was not a fan of the firing of Kevin Ollie. I’ll be the first to tell anyone that. I just think that for once, we dropped the ball on that. Anytime you see someone win, at the collegiate level, a championship, they’re extended for pretty much a lifetime, and I think he went undervalued and it was just a tricky situation.

is BS, and it was probably the exact mentality that Ollie had that ended up getting him canned. If you win a championship you get a lot of leash, and he did get a lot of leash (not to mention a lot of money). Maybe too much. But you don't guarantee yourself a job in perpetuity because you excelled in the first few years and then decide you've done enough.

Reaction Score
We also have to consider that Caron is not connected to the game-to-game progression of the program over the past 3-4 years. I would think that had he sat and watched every UConn game since 2014, seen the progression of the team, understood the backstory of Ollie and Calhoun, he may have a different conclusion than he did. Caron is loyal but he knows the game extremely well. He'd be able to see that the quality of the product on the court had sunk to enormous lows.

Reaction Score
Nah, c'mon. By that standard anyone but the most hardcore of fans are "the problem".

UConn's descent to no-buzz status was, sad to say, pretty much inevitable. It's not just the conference, and it's not just that we aren't winning. But that combination of both, simultaneously occurring in football and basketball, has become very, very toxic over the last 5 years. Some people will be interested in watching their school get trounced by big name competition, and some people will be interested in watching their school trounce no-name competition. But very few are interested in watching their school get trounced by no-name competition year in and year out. People have lives.

Regarding the article, this:

is BS, and it was probably the exact mentality that Ollie had that ended up getting him canned. If you win a championship you get a lot of leash, and he did get a lot of leash (not to mention a lot of money). Maybe too much. But you don't guarantee yourself a job in perpetuity because you excelled in the first few years and then decide you've done enough.
I will watch any UConn game in any sport if it is available to me. I will hope that UConn will win even if the odds are long. Doesn't matter the sport. UConn nation is divided and as such cannot stand until that is rectified.

Reaction Score
You are exactly the problem that UConn has. Basketball fans, but not really UConn fans.

You’re kidding right? While I don’t pay particular attention to the league games bc they kinda bore me, and I’m basketball first, it doesn’t mean I’m a bad fan or “what’s wrong” with UConn fans. How many games have you attended this season? I’ve gone to 5 football games, 2 hockey games and this wknd will be my 6th men’s game and I’ve gone to three women’s game. Tell me again how I’m the problem? Because I don’t get “up” for AAC games has no bearing on if I’m a UConn all sports fan or not. I’m sorry if I don’t get excited to play Tulsa or ECU on a secondary network in the middle of the week, however, if I’m the “problem” then that’s a good thing because I still support the school and spend the $, donate, etc and show up out of loyalty. Doesn’t mean it excites me though, more of a sickness, haha.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding right? While I don’t pay particular attention to the league games bc they kinda bore me, and I’m basketball first, it doesn’t mean I’m a bad fan or “what’s wrong” with UConn fans. How many games have you attended this season? I’ve gone to 5 football games, 2 hockey games and this wknd will be my 6th men’s game and I’ve gone to three women’s game. Tell me again how I’m the problem? Because I don’t get “up” for AAC games has no bearing on if I’m a UConn all sports fan or not. I’m sorry if I don’t get excited to play Tulsa or ECU on a secondary network in the middle of the week, however, if I’m the “problem” then that’s a good thing because I still support the school and spend the $, donate, etc and show up out of loyalty. Doesn’t mean it excites me though, more of a sickness, haha.
I live far away. I am an old man. I cannot go to games anymore. I just stated what I believe to be true. The basketball crowd with their back to the Big East nonsense is detrimental to UConn. It is all or none,whether you like the conference or not. Maybe you are young and nearby. I applaud your attendance. I wish others would be like you.

Reaction Score
I live far away. I am an old man. I cannot go to games anymore. I just stated what I believe to be true. The basketball crowd with their back to the Big East nonsense is detrimental to UConn. It is all or none,whether you like the conference or not. Maybe you are young and nearby. I applaud your attendance. I wish others would be like you.
You can be a diehard UConn fan and
- Support all programs and attend or not attend games
- Follow one sport more than another
- Dislike the AAC
- Wonder whether a move to the Big East is better than another 25 years in the AAC
- Still root for each team to succeed

All of the above aren't mutually exclusive and don't make you "exactly the problem UConn has."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom