Carolyn Ducharme an upgrade at No.33? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Carolyn Ducharme an upgrade at No.33?

Reaction Score
Seeing a tall UCONN player with the number 33 and long range shooting has to bring KLS immediately to mind. And recognizing the very small sample, I have seen Charmer show a significantly greater skill set than Lou at the same stage. Lou basically was fixed just beyond the arc as a frosh. She didn't rebound, drive or make great passes. She had a very potent long range shot and not much else. Caroline Ducharme opened my eyes with her down court dribbling, including behind the back, against L'ville. I don't recall Lou ever having such ball handling skills. This of course on top of the obvious ability to score from anywhere on the floor, to rebound at both ends and some nifty passing to boot.

I think we have a permanent starter and potential star in number 33.
When the teams gets completely healthy, do you really think Geno will start her? Geno does not change.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ducharme has played, let’s see, 3 games? Yes by all means let’s compare her already with a 4 year star.

Has Covid fatigue just made everyone lose their minds?
And how do they compare after their first three freshman games? Is the comparison to a four- year star or a three-game played freshman?

Reaction Score
Comparing Caroline at this stage to what KLS became is rushing things, but comparing her to what Katie Lou was at a comparable stage isn't silly to me.

I would note you're venturing into another pretty lofty echelon comparing her to Haley Jones, the reigning Final Four MOP! I don't disagree with that comparison, either, and agree some of what she brings to the Cardinal might be what Caroline could bring to UConn (plus likely a better shooting touch). I consider Haley one of the handful of best all-around players in the nation. Caroline is a player, and as one poster said above, she'll hopefully evolve into a Caroline Ducharme we're all proud of and are darned happy is one of our Huskies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Good points made--I agree, it was impressive to see a freshman have that much composure in the 4th Q. As to the Slam 3-point contest, let's remember that Azzi was in a boot when she competed and actually made more 3-pointers than CD... They will certainly compliment the other's game, Azzi and CD... Can't wait to see them play with Paige, that will be one dynamic trio...
Actually, regarding the Slam contest, Caroline is the one who made more shots. Azzi made more "bonus" balls, thus tying the score on points. Caroline was declared the winner by making more shots, regardless of what they were worth.

Reaction Score
When Paige went down I started a thread of who would step up and I stated that Caroline was my choice. I got blasted by Jordy because he read my statement wrong as I did not say she would be the new point guard. I said she would be the only one who I could see who would pick up the scoring load. She is used to scoring and cherishes it. She is bigger that any of the other guards and her court awareness such as rebounding, cutting and passing make her head and shoulders that most of the starters. She will continue to start no matter who gets better.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem lately with Evina and CW scoring is that there is a lot of film of them and they haven't developed anything new to counter the opponents' game plans for them.
Right. CD was still a 'secret weapon'. Not secret any more, I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
Actually, regarding the Slam contest, Caroline is the one who made more shots. Azzi made more "bonus" balls, thus tying the score on points. Caroline was declared the winner by making more shots, regardless of what they were worth.
OK, perhaps you're right, however, you do see the rather large boot on her left leg, right?

Reaction Score
Talk about soooo inaccurate. So by season's end she was starting in front of Stewie, Phee, Gabby and Morgan? She played behind the fifth player not these players. She could never displace any of these player.
I'm pretty sure she started alongside Jefferson, Nurse, Stewart and Tuck. Collier and Williams were coming off the bench. The only reason she wasn't starting in the NCAAT is because she was out injured.

Reaction Score
Which big games did you have in mind? KLS scored over 20 Points in her first 2 of her first 3 NCAA tournament game
Which big games did you have in mind? KLS scored over 20 Points in her first 2 of her first 3 NCAA tournament games.
Agree... while we can cherry pick games over her 4 years at UCONN for both sides of the argument, KLS had some pretty significant contributions in some pretty big games... remember, "The Barf Bucket" game vs MD, 40 points w/10 for 10 from 3 in a Conference Tournament Championship Game, 29 points vs Louisville to get to the Final Four her senior year after coming off a pretty serious back injury, ... I would say She was "productive" in a lot of big games. But that's just one person's opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure she started alongside Jefferson, Nurse, Stewart and Tuck. Collier and Williams were coming off the bench. The only reason she wasn't starting in the NCAAT is because she was out injured.
You are correct and I don't know what @SVCBeercats was thinking when he wrote that in response to my post because that is not what I wrote.
What I wrote was this "KLS had Napheesa collier, Gabby Williams and Morgan Tuck and Stewie playing in front of her as a freshman and still managed to be a starter by season's end on a Championship team."
This is a verifiable fact. Both Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier "started" games before KLS did in KLS' freshman season. KLS did not get her first start of the season until game 15 against Temple and remained a starter until she was injured in the Oregon State game and missed the final game against Syracuse.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree... while we can cherry pick games over her 4 years at UCONN for both sides of the argument, KLS had some pretty significant contributions in some pretty big games... remember, "The Barf Bucket" game vs MD, 40 points w/10 for 10 from 3 in a Conference Tournament Championship Game, 29 points vs Louisville to get to the Final Four her senior year after coming off a pretty serious back injury, ... I would say She was "productive" in a lot of big games. But that's just one person's opinion.
Excellent call! The Barf Bucket was really the barf trash can and Maryland was the #4 ranked team in the country at that point and playing at home. I still don't get this compulsion in attempt to elevate Caroline by diminishing KLS- SMH.

Reaction Score
When the teams gets completely healthy, do you really think Geno will start her? Geno does not change.
He certainly didn't hesitate to remove AE from the starting lineup. His starting lineups are far from set in stone.

Reaction Score
Caroline imo has more intangibles and she has what KLS never had, a KILLER INSTINCT. She won't hesitate to shoot any shot she likes or be aggressive. Many times Geno told KLS to be more aggressive or takeover games. Was waiting for her to do so in both final 4 games vs ND but she never did. That will not happen with Caroline if the situation presents itself. I think if you gave me a poll of who you would want to make a 3 she'd be up there on many lists.

Reaction Score
SMH I’m not sure why so many posters are so insistent that after two or three games a player has to be better than a UConn great? I happen to believe that Caroline is going to be a “wall” player for us but to say (after one outstanding game) that she is better than Lou is simply a bridge to far.

CocoHusky was not saying Lou was better than those other players merely pointing out that she was a very good player on a team made up of good players. The point being, once again, that it is way too early to start saying that Caroline is better (or even equal) to Lou.
Wrong! It’s not too early. BYers do it ALL the GD time. Nothing new. It’s the easy way and unimaginative. Par for the course. Every blonde player reminds us of Paige and every shooter is either KML or KLS. That’s were it begins and ends. Too easy. Good grief.

Reaction Score
We will ALL be Very HAPPY if Caroline can match or beat Lou's Career Statistics while playing for UCONN... specifically:
#5 in Career Points,
#6 in Season Points,
Tied for #3 in Most points in a single game,
#2 in career made 3pts,
#2 in Most 3pts in a season, and
Tied #1 in 3PTs in a game.

IF Caroline can produce like that...then We will all be very HAPPY!!! :):confused:

Reaction Score
Comparisons ae odious!!
I have to disagree there. You think these kids don’t compare themselves to other players? Obviously (like anything) it could be odious if couched in a pejorative way. Not sure how saying that a young player “plays like, reminds me of, shoots like, has a release like”, etc is somehow hurtful to anyone?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OK, perhaps you're right, however, you do see the rather large boot on her left leg, right?
Yes I know about the boot, but she also wore a boot when she won the 3 pt contest at Steph Currys basketball camp against the men. I don't think the boot bothers her shooting if stationary, but of course she could not do anything mobile. I get what you are saying, she is a great shooter and I believe she is better than Caroline. Just wanted to point out that just having a conversation about who is better bodes well for the future shooting ability of the team.

Reaction Score
Yes I know about the boot, but she also wore a boot when she won the 3 pt contest at Steph Currys basketball camp against the men. I don't think the boot bothers her shooting if stationary, but of course she could not do anything mobile. I get what you are saying, she is a great shooter and I believe she is better than Caroline. Just wanted to point out that just having a conversation about who is better bodes well for the future shooting ability of the team.
You make good points but shooting with a boot on tends to offset your balance--and balance and equilibrium are very important to a shooter. To your point, I think Caroline's upside is just as great as Azzi's and particularly her ability to create her own shot and drive to the basket. This skillset is greatly needed on our team...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom