Caroline's Shooting | The Boneyard

Caroline's Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One thing about the Stanford game that I didn't see anyone comment on is that all of Caroline's misses from 3-point range were very, very close to going in -- a few went halfway down. Those shots looked exactly like the ones that KML was missing against Holy Cross, and we have observed how she has corrected that subsequently.

It would have been a 20-point game if Caroline had shot as well as I believe she normally will. Now that KML is not a secret weapon, better shooting from Caroline (our 3rd-best 3-point option after KML and Bria) is going to be necessary against A&M and Baylor.

I was more troubled by the fact that she had just one assist and a couple of stupid fouls. She needs to play better, particularly in the assist department, for us to have a reasonable chance in those games.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not only +1 , but I just can't believe that anyone would feel the need to critisize Doty.

Reaction Score
Game speed and game stamina will increase and so will CD's shooting %. It takes time and practice time is not game time.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Doty gets lots of slack from me. She's payed for that with the sacrifices she's made for the team. Unlike other team members, including the freshman, she has not played competitive basketball for a long time. She's also not had a whole lot of practice. So if her shot is off or she makes a few bonehead plays I'm just gonna' enjoy the fact that she's still out there giving it her best.

Doty isn't playing like she's been out of the game for nearly two years. She's averaging 8.7 ppg and has an a/to of 2.o. She's also shooting .438 from outside. That's the best on the team. If she keeps that up for all 39 games I think a lot of folks are going to be happy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Doty gets lots of slack from me. She's payed for that with the sacrifices she's made for the team. Unlike other team members, including the freshman, she has not played competitive basketball for a long time. She's also not had a whole lot of practice. So if her shot is off or she makes a few bonehead plays I'm just gonna' enjoy the fact that she's still out there giving it her best.

Doty isn't playing like she's been out of the game for nearly two years. She's averaging 8.7 ppg and has an a/to of 2.o. She's also shooting .438 from outside. That's the best on the team. If she keeps that up for all 39 games I think a lot of folks are going to be happy.
i agree with this 100% and think it's a much better reply to the OP. so many times on this board i see people slamming or smacking down another poster for an opinion. i get that not everyone has the time or energy to formulate a well thought out reply, but instead of calling out the OP, or any other poster, i'd much rather see posts like this.

to add to what VTC said, it was noted by Geno (paraphrasing) that CD is the best PG on the team and runs the team the smoothest when she's in of any of the other guards. i take that to mean in big games, especially, he wants to see the ball in her hands with her making decisions.

having said that, i just watched the Pacific game. yes they were woefully overmatched, but the passing and decision making by CD and especially Kelly was spectacular. for the most part (and i'm not sure how many assists they had), they were getting the ball in the right places to the right people to shoot the ball. Kelly especially had a terrific game.

when you really look back and consider that CD has had 3 ACL tears - one her last year of HS, one her freshman year that caused her to miss half the season, and one last year that caused her to miss the entire year, i'm frankly shocked she's doing as great as she is.

during the summer and when we started reading about the tweak to her knee and then her sprained ankle, i really wondered if Geno insisted on starting her if we'd see her for more than 5 minutes a half. i'm surprised and thrilled we are seeing her for over 21 minutes per game so far. i hope that she's able to continue with that kind of stamina and give the team the steadying factor i think they really need with her on the court.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Feel free to criticize -- I just think context and tone is important.

For instance, Tiff earned the "whattheheck!" comments with her play in the first half -- but many posters recognized she got it together.

Or, for example, pretend you worked in a highly skilled profession that requires both mental and physical skills and you had been out sick for a year and a half. Then, you come back to work and your second or third day at work you are face with a challenge that, when you were in top form, would have been challenging. Not that you care, because you're too busy doing your job, but how would you like to be assessed?

Reaction Score
I agree with vtcwbuff on this one. She played reasonably well in her first big game back. Barring injury, she will get better. I'm not inclined to ever see the glass as half-full, but I prefer to think those tgwo second-half three-pointers were the start of something great.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure KML was a secret weapon. Yes, there might be a tendency to downplay the contribution of a freshman, but Tara had been watching her since 9th grade. If she was a secret, it was because someone was not playing attention. Kaleena is not Maya, but their high school resumes are eerily similar. And Maya was the best frosh, and perhaps best player, we have seen.

Reaction Score
I think the only thing you could criticize Doty for is being jacked up in the first half. I guess you could criticize everyone but KML and Bria for the same. Understandable considering the youth of the team and not having established who will step up when things go south.

She is the first person on the floor for a loose ball. Her heart and hustle are undeniable. Everything else will fall into place in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Game speed and game stamina will increase and so will CD's shooting %. It takes time and practice time is not game time.

So true, Practice is just that, game time is where the skill set actually grows, this applies to every player on the team.

Reaction Score
Caroline's form was good. A few shots went down and then out. She is a classical 3 point shooter and she will make a lot of them before the season is over.

Our only worry about Caroline is her health. She probably will only play 20-25 minutes a game until mid season

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!

Reaction Score
Caroline hasn't played in a year and a half. I would not worry about her.
Thank God CD is playing:) Anyone who believes we are a better team w/o her is nuts! Just pray she stays healthy and she will be able to adjust to playing basketball and not rehabbing!

Reaction Score
Rest assured, CD, Jr is NOT losing any sleep over any outside commentary. She is doing fine given all she has and has not experienced the last year or so. Reality check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom