Caroline turnaround | The Boneyard

Caroline turnaround

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Excellent article. This is what I have been saying all season, Caroline is too good a BB player not to come around and be her normal self and when she does, look-out, she will be a joy to watch. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One key component of Caroline’s improved play, as the article points out, is simply getting more PT, from 17 mpg in her first 6 games to 33 mpg over the last 6 games. Obviously, Injuries/illness to Azzi & Aubrey factored in to more PT for Caroline. There was a similar pattern to Caroline’s improved play last season. As players went down, Caroline stepped up.

My one concern relative to Caroline is that she is the type of player who appears to need a good deal of PT to be really effective, which usually requires that she starts the game. Unlike Aubrey, who seems to have an immediate impact off the bench, Caroline has been less effective as a reserve.

Once everyone is healthy, UConn probably starts Aaliyah, Dorka, Lou, Azzi & Nika, with Caroline & Aubrey coming off the bench. I am hoping that when Caroline is back to getting 15-20 mpg again, she can come into games and have an immediate, positive impact for the Huskies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Azzi and Aubrey get back Caroline will shine and thats because the focus of defenses will be Aaliyah Lou and Azzi. Caroline at 6'2 has the ability to dribble drive and shoot the trey. Im thinking even if shes our instant offense off the bench shes going to be key. We have already seen the past 2 games signs of her taking over and we saw it last season. She will shine.

Reaction Score
One key component of Caroline’s improved play, as the article points out, is simply getting more PT, from 17 mpg in her first 6 games to 33 mpg over the last 6 games. Obviously, Injuries/illness to Azzi & Aubrey factored in to more PT for Caroline. There was a similar pattern to Caroline’s improved play last season. As players went down, Caroline stepped up.

My one concern relative to Caroline is that she is the type of player who appears to need a good deal of PT to be really effective, which usually requires that she starts the game. Unlike Aubrey, who seems to have an immediate impact off the bench, Caroline has been less effective as a reserve.

Once everyone is healthy, UConn probably starts Aaliyah, Dorka, Lou, Azzi & Nika, with Caroline & Aubrey coming off the bench. I am hoping that when Caroline is back to getting 15-20 mpg again, she can come into games and have an immediate, positive impact for the Huskies.
Good assessment but I view this as one of those "positive problems" we have all been hoping for. A bench that Geno needs to manage and can be creative with? What an awful issue to have (sarcasm)!

Reaction Score

Excellent post, @oldude. It’s hard to picture Geno giving the starting 5 you mention less than 30 mins/game each, given his usual practice.

Of course, all of us in the BY will be quick to do the arithmetic and suggest giving 25 mins/game to the top 7 in the rotation. But for some reason Geno, in all his Hall of Fame wisdom, can’t seem to appreciate this basic fact about numbers, distracted as he seems to be by actually working with real life players and their quirks and whims.

All kidding aside, I’m just so pleased by Caroline’s recent play. I can hardly wait to see this team healthy and firing on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
Caroline, in my opinion, is a natural scorer. Her outside shot is looking better and better- her misses seem to rim out and her makes are increasing in %. She is developing or perfecting a short pull-up jump shot which she did several times in last game. She can take it to the hole too. She is deadly when getting the ball near the basket, she naturally seals off her defender and puts the shot up very quickly.

But besides scoring, she is doing many other things too that make her valuable. She is an excellent rebounder. She is moving much more quickly to help out on defense. She is still making some offensive mistakes/turnovers such as forced passes or travels, but these will improve as she plays more.

Reaction Score

Perfect take IMO.
It‘s on her to establish a niche which as you said requires PT. She cuts well, she moves well without the ball, she rebounds, she can pass over the defense, she can finish around the basket, she can shoot off the dribble, and she can hit 3’s. She just has to tighten everything up.
As they say, it’s not who starts but who’s on the floor during crunch time.
She can study great subs over time. Havlicek, McHale ….. It’s an art. What she has going in, is unique talents that are valuable. What a problem to have! Some interesting dynamics to watch going forward!

Reaction Score

Lots of good points here, Oldude, and by others on this thread.

As for me, given Caroline's clear inclination to play better as a starter, and her more varied contributions over Lou, I could foresee a time when Geno opts to start Caroline and bring Lou from the bench. I know that sounds nuts right now, but that might ease some of the concerns about Lou's foul problems, and I believe Lou, as mature as she is, would be just fine with it.

I also have noticed (and noted it here on the BY, as Blake just did) that Caroline is often doing the talking in the Huskies huddles). She is a leader.

I'm sure there are many here who think pulling Lou from the starting lineup would be crazy, and I love Lou as we all do, but think about it. Once Aubrey and Azzi are back, minutes will be lessened for them all. Why not use Caroline in the manner she's most effective?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perfect take IMO.
It‘s on her to establish a niche which as you said requires PT. She cuts well, she moves well without the ball, she rebounds, she can pass over the defense, she can finish around the basket, she can shoot off the dribble, and she can hit 3’s. She just has to tighten everything up.
As they say, it’s not who starts but who’s on the floor during crunch time.
She can study great subs over time. Havlicek, McHale ….. It’s an art. What she has going in, is unique talents that are valuable. What a problem to have! Some interesting dynamics to watch going forward!
Funny you should mention Havlicek, because that’s exactly who Caroline reminds me of with her constant, weaving movement on offense.

Reaction Score
VISIBLE IMPROVEMENT, BUT TOOK ANOTHER HIT TO THE HEAD; diving for loose balls is a danger zone for Caroline, Aubrey, Dorka, Azzi, and others on that ice-pack/concussion list.

Reaction Score
Funny you should mention Havlicek, because that’s exactly who Caroline reminds me of with her constant, weaving movement on offense.
Sounds like you're a Celts fan. Could AP be a Paul Silas? or a (non-Celtic) Montrezl Harrell. I say AP- keep banging. It's gunna click and when it does cover your children's and your pets' eyes, it's gunna be a train-wreck. A difference maker. 5 fouls allowed before disqualification.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She reminds me of Larry Bird, another #33.
2Q==.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of good points here, Oldude, and by others on this thread.

As for me, given Caroline's clear inclination to play better as a starter, and her more varied contributions over Lou, I could foresee a time when Geno opts to start Caroline and bring Lou from the bench. I know that sounds nuts right now, but that might ease some of the concerns about Lou's foul problems, and I believe Lou, as mature as she is, would be just fine with it.

I also have noticed (and noted it here on the BY, as Blake just did) that Caroline is often doing the talking in the Huskies huddles). She is a leader.

I'm sure there are many here who think pulling Lou from the starting lineup would be crazy, and I love Lou as we all do, but think about it. Once Aubrey and Azzi are back, minutes will be lessened for them all. Why not use Caroline in the manner she's most effective?
Yes, I am one of those who think pulling Lou from the starting lineup would be completely absurd--Lou has been a reliable outside scorer who can score at three levels. She is invaluable to this team. I don't understand why there is a concern about players getting enough minutes when all season BY-ers have been lamenting the short bench and dearth of available players. Caroline together with Azzi and Lou on the perimeter will be devastating and with a good rotation of players, Geno will keep them fresh.--this is only a conundrum for UConn's opponents...

Reaction Score
Yes, I am one of those who think pulling Lou from the starting lineup would be completely absurd--Lou has been a reliable outside scorer who can score at three levels. She is invaluable to this team. I don't understand why there is a concern about players getting enough minutes when all season BY-ers have been lamenting the short bench and dearth of available players. Caroline together with Azzi and Lou on the perimeter will be devastating and with a good rotation of players, Geno will keep them fresh.--this is only a conundrum for UConn's opponents...
Agreed, tchalla1. You're making my point for me. My suggestion is simply that Caroline is more effective as a starter than from off the bench.

Reaction Score
As for me, given Caroline's clear inclination to play better as a starter.

It's a small sample but there doesn't appear to be much difference in production whether she is a starter or comes of the bench.

There are 9 games she has played more than 20 minutes, 5 from the bench and 4 as a starter. She does however appear to be more efficient playing 20-30 mpg versus 30 mpg +.

Note: Look at the Assist to TO ratio 1 versus 0.375

1672720034720.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Excellent article indeed! Like I have been telling folks at the start of the season, Caroline is going to be okay. Just have to trust the player sometimes.
And remember per Geno, she’s nowhere near 100% yet. I still see her (on the bench) pressing an ice bag to her right temple towards the end of the Marquette game. That’s not normal or encouraging. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Certainly Havlicek, but also Bird, who was not as quick as Havlicek but crafty, relentless, great rebounder and passer. I believe Auriemma trusts her instincts and steadiness.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Certainly Havlicek, but also Bird, who was not as quick as Havlicek but crafty, relentless, great rebounder and passer. I believe Auriemma trusts her instincts and steadiness.
Maybe I find the similarity between Havlicek & Caroline so obvious because Caroline is something of a silent assassin, much like Hondo. Now if Caroline, all of a sudden, starts dishing out “trash talk” like Bird constantly did, then Caroline would be very similar to Bird, although I’m not sure that Geno would approve….;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom