Caroline Out With A Sprained Ankle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From John A.:

jaltavilla John Altavilla

#UConnwomen will be without Caroline Doty was for little longer. She has a sprained ankle. A UConn spokesman said he didn't know which one

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
homer_simpson_doh.gif

Left ankle, per JA's update....wearing boot

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
poor kid. she is just snake bit. sprains can take a while to heal 100%, and she'll need to keep off it of course. i wonder if we'll see Banks or KML starting?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Could be worse, but I feel for her. Hopefully, this was caused by her usual aggressiveness and not her favoring the knee.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
poor kid. she is just snake bit. sprains can take a while to heal 100%, and she'll need to keep off it of course. i wonder if we'll see Banks or KML starting?
I bet we'll see KML...which in the long run, isn't a bad thing. But in the immediate term, Caroline is essential to this year's team being all it can be.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I bet we'll see KML...which in the long run, isn't a bad thing. But in the immediate term, Caroline is essential to this year's team being all it can be.

I would guess Banks, but it just depends on how long the ankle impacts CDoty. Hopefully the ankle will be ship-shape in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A tweets

Caroline stepped on someone's foot and will miss thursday's game; Geno not sure if she'll be ready for the next exh game

She sprained her left ankle

Tiff is 50% better than last year; her improvement is like what he saw with Asjha between her junior and senior season

Geno expects Kaleena to start this season

Sue and Kalana at practice today

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caroline stepped on someone's foot and will miss thursday's game; Geno sure if she'll be ready for the next exh game

Tiff is 50% better than last year; her improvement is like what he saw with Asjha between her junior and senior season

Thanks for the wealth of info.

If Tiff is 50% better than last year, take Stricklen off the AA list and insert #3 in National Flag Blue.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
John A tweets

Caroline stepped on someone's foot and will miss thursday's game; Geno sure if she'll be ready for the next exh game

Awesome info from Geno !!! Can't wait for the Geno Show tonight at 8:00.

That's a very big endorsement for KML this early. Sounds like the 4 starting guards won't be Caroline/Tiff/Bria/Kelly. Geno has done nothing but rave about Tiffany so far, and besides she's a senior. Then we have Caroline, who is the captain and Geno's go-to point guard for this season. Next we have Bria, who Geno has said is miles ahead of last year (both she and Stef have been looking great, per the coaching staff's recent comments). Then you have Kelly. We all know how highly Geno values Kelly Faris.

I guess if KML starts, I would rotate her with Bria. Both are adept at scoring first and foremost, among their other skillsets. So the starting lineup would likely be CDoty/Tiff/Kelly/KML & Stef. Unless Geno has more surprises in store for us!

Great that Sue and KG were there. Love to see the alums dropping by....I wonder if KG is going overseas this year? Perhaps taking a break before doing so? Or, did she not get a Euro gig this winter? With Renee's trevails, not getting paid etc., I wonder if the market is tighter this year, contracts smaller, and maybe less room on the payroll for American players across all the leagues.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tiff's play in the semi-final loss to ND last year has greatly motivated her this year. #goodtohear

Brianna says Geno says she thinks too much on the court rather than just letting things happen

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has said that Kaleena will start. He also wants to start Caroline while her knee is loose.

Will anyone notice if we send out 6 or 7 players for the tipoff? :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff's play in the semi-final loss to ND last year has greatly motivated her this year. #goodtohear

Brianna says Geno says she thinks too much on the court rather than just letting things happen

Tiff knows that she was a factor in the 2 losses. She is a senior and is acting responsibly. She is also as talented as anyone on the AA list. Do not sell Tiffany Hayes short!

Here's some additional motivation: The greatest winner in women's college basketball was Maya Moore, with a 150-4 career record. Tiff is at 114-2 with a shot to equal or surpass the Magnificent One. Go Tiff!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kaleena says Geno is the same guy who recruited her; "what you see is what you get with coach"

She is very excited about playing her first game at Gampel

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for the wealth of info.

If Tiff is 50% better than last year, take Stricklen off the AA list and insert #3 in National Flag Blue.
i don't know what 50% better means tho. she was the 2nd leading scorer on the team at about 14 or 15 PPG IIRC. does that mean she should score about 21 PPG this year? i realize it's not an exact correlation - 50% better could mean 10% on offense and 40% on defense.

but my point is that is still great to hear, like you said. i don't expect her to be a role player this year, but rather a leader in every aspect. i do think she'll be putting up big numbers, and i know you remember Geno's comments about who the best player on the court was last year when Tiff was playing her best...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Rich's blog on Caroline. Hang in there Caroline.

“It just takes a long time to come back from the ACL thing,’’ Auriemma said. “You’re a little bit ginger. You’re kind of taking it one step at a time. You’re not quite sure, a little tentative. And she was just starting to really go, and go really hard. And she ended up stepping on a kid’s foot (during practice last week). But she was out there today dribbling and moving around so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.’’

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena says Geno is the same guy who recruited her; "what you see is what you get with coach"

She is very excited about playing her first game at Gampel

Exactly! A very honest and genuine guy. That's why the alums come back--like Kalana and Sue today.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From Rich's blog on Caroline. Hang in there Caroline.

“It just takes a long time to come back from the ACL thing,’’ Auriemma said. “You’re a little bit ginger. You’re kind of taking it one step at a time. You’re not quite sure, a little tentative. And she was just starting to really go, and go really hard. And she ended up stepping on a kid’s foot (during practice last week). But she was out there today dribbling and moving around so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.’’

A little bit Ginger?

images

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
John A tweets

I was looking for this Tweet and didn't see him putting it quite this way - all I could find was that he said KML would start in the first exhibition against Assumption. Did you see him say more on 'KML starting' somewhere else, or did I miss something on JA's Twitter page?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i don't know what 50% better means tho. she was the 2nd leading scorer on the team at about 14 or 15 PPG IIRC. does that mean she should score about 21 PPG this year? i realize it's not an exact correlation - 50% better could mean 10% on offense and 40% on defense.

but my point is that is still great to hear, like you said. i don't expect her to be a role player this year, but rather a leader in every aspect. i do think she'll be putting up big numbers, and i know you remember Geno's comments about who the best player on the court was last year when Tiff was playing her best...
I don't know how to quantify it either, but I just take it as Geno's view that she is noticeably better. That, of course, is great to hear.

There were games last year when Tiff was the best player on the court--better than anyone on the oppostion, even better than Maya. Her upside is very, very high.

Maybe it's a delayed sophomore leap. :)

Lorin had a sense of urgency as a senior. Look at how essential she was last year. Same for Kalana and Tina the prior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was looking for this Tweet and didn't see him putting it quite this way - all I could find was that he said KML would start in the first exhibition against Assumption. Did you see him say more on 'KML starting' somewhere else, or did I miss something on JA's Twitter page?
Originally, it was a broad statement. I think JA modified it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Originally, it was a broad statement. I think JA modified it.

I see - I would be interested to hear his precise wording and the context of the statement .... Geno may touch on the subject tonight on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom