Caroline out for Texas [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

UConn's Caroline Ducharme still sidelined by neck spasms​

• i

Alexa Philippou, ESPNDec 2, 2023, 03:55 AM

Reaction Score
[ ] there is no way this young person should be playing any sport anymore. At this point the focus should be on her long term health.

“bright lights, loud noises, schoolwork, looking at screens, watching TV”. During games when she does play, she sits on the bench with an ice bag on her head. In the photo, she is wearing earplugs. Seriously??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yikes. This isn’t good since it appears chronic. Terrible news for her. At this point I don’t care if and when she comes back. You just want the kid to be healthy and comfortable.
Well said. I feel bad for Caroline and I agree with you, I just want Caroline to be comfortable and get her health situation under control. I ain't to pressed about her playing this season. Just wish her all the best.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since I saw her as a HS Junior I have been a fan of Caroline. I've had high expectations for her as a Husky and between her injuries she has delivered and shown promise of more. Like Azzi I hope she can come back and shine, but that is secondary to her being able to cope with these disappointments and go on to shine in her later life.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking for a while that Caroline should retire from the game. Head/neck injuries that persist, must be taken seriously. We'll see what happens. But her "problem" ( neck?) is obviously not a quick fix. This is dismaying, but not a surprise.
Perhaps “retire” is premature but certainly shutting it down for the year seems reasonable. She could “medically redshirt” and save her eligibility in the event she is finally able to put this nightmare behind her. Truthfully, I too am beginning to doubt she will ever be able to play again but surely it makes sense to put that decision off as long as possible? My heart breaks for her!

Reaction Score
Perhaps “retire” is premature but certainly shutting it down for the year seems reasonable. She could “medically redshirt” and save her eligibility in the event she is finally able to put this nightmare behind her. Truthfully, I too am beginning to doubt she will ever be able to play again but surely it makes sense to put that decision off as long as possible? My heart breaks for her!
Since I saw her as a HS Junior I have been a fan of Caroline. I've had high expectations for her as a Husky and between her injuries she has delivered and shown promise of more. Like Azzi I hope she can come back and shine, but that is secondary to her being able to cope with these disappointments and go on to shine in her later life.
Me, too, Rocky, and perfectly summarized, Cuango. I would very much miss seeing Caroline in action this winter but, God Willing, I'd be happiest if I could see her playing the next couple of seasons pain free. That's almost certainly not going to happen this winter.

She's also a very smart, caring person who has a world of potential beyond her playing career.

Reaction Score
I wish Caroline would just shut it down for this season. She has a lot of talent, but when you're not physically able to put your gifts to work what's the sense. Her long term future is more important than anything basketball can give her right now.

Reaction Score
I wish Caroline would just shut it down for this season. She has a lot of talent, but when you're not physically able to put your gifts to work what's the sense. Her long term future is more important than anything basketball can give her right now.
I agree. I also wonder what is the effect of injured players who are sitting on the bench in sweat suits, game after game, unable to play? Is it a morale boost to see AZZI, Caroline and Jana sitting there, or is it a reminder of potential disaster and loss and, therefore, demoralizing? As a fan, I find it demoralizing, because their presence is a constant reminder of "what might have been." And that focus takes my attention away from the players who are actually participating. The players, of course, cannot admit to a negative response. They must ( and probably do ) see the benefits of team unity and mutual support. I just wish we could have a healthy, fully functional team, and I want to give all my attention to the kids who are suited up and ready for the battle.

Reaction Score
I agree. I also wonder what is the effect of injured players who are sitting on the bench in sweat suits, game after game, unable to play? Is it a morale boost to see AZZI, Caroline and Jana sitting there, or is it a reminder of potential disaster and loss and, therefore, demoralizing? As a fan, I find it demoralizing, because their presence is a constant reminder of "what might have been." And that focus takes my attention away from the players who are actually participating. The players, of course, cannot admit to a negative response. They must ( and probably do ) see the benefits of team unity and mutual support. I just wish we could have a healthy, fully functional team, and I want to give all my attention to the kids who are suited up and ready for the battle.
To borrow nike’s slogan, ‘just do it’. There is no point in dwelling in the what if. It is what it is, the guys that are playing are our team and as fans deserve our support.

Imagine how it must be for Aaliyah, Aubrey and Nika who battled through all the difficulties of last season to come into this one, what could be their last season here, with the feeling that what they have all dreamed of and worked for is finally going to be a reality. Instead like Sisyphus they are once again back at the bottom of the mountain, shoulders against the rock and nudging it back up. They, as well as all their healthy teammates, may have had their moments but I am sure they aren’t living in regrets but rather are refocused on trying to figure out, again, how to make it work.

All those still standing have no intention on giving up on the season. They are going to fight like hell to keep their dream alive.

I have to imagine rather than being demoralized by their injured teammates sitting along side them, they draw support from them as they continue to be support for them. They are after all like family.

Let’s all follow their lead and give them our full support!

Reaction Score
I said last year CD needs to probably stop. I worry about 50 year old Caroline. Concussions are no joke. Feel awful for her, but that is so serious.

Reaction Score
If you watch tournament games from 20 years ago, in the intros you hear UConn players say “Just tape it up and go.” I loved that sentiment. But those days seem to be long gone. There is no amount of tape that will help out kids, though I’m sure they all wish they could just get back on the court.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just get everybody healthy no matter how long it takes. Does UConn red shirt their injured until next season? Will they be able to play next season. The craziness we have experienced the past few years has been just unbelievable.

Reaction Score
It might be time for Caroline to stop playing BB and focus on having a healthy brain and quality of life. She has been a trooper but her condition seems to be very serious and life after basketball is way more than basketball itself.

Reaction Score
It might be time for Caroline to stop playing BB and focus on having a healthy brain and quality of life. She has been a trooper but her condition seems to be very serious and life after basketball is way more than basketball itself.
Probably her and Azzi need to just play basketball for fun, and go pro in something else. I believe this is what Geno ultimately told another Caroline with bad knees.

Reaction Score
I agree, Caroline needs to give up basketball. Anyone who has seen the movie "Concussion" knows that damage from head injuries is cumulative. How could she possibly be able to play with constant fear that the next blow could be life-altering?

sun

Reaction Score
I don't agree that Carol should end her season or her once in a lifetime UConn career prematurely.
I'm sure that she's not happy about her situation.
However, she wouldn't have even started the season if she hadn't improved enough since last year to play in games & participate in practices at a high enough level to believe that she could contribute.
With Azzi being injured she probably feels even more compelled to help the team this season.

I imagine that she's had conversations with Geno & the staff about her condition & progress.
Quite frankly I don't see how she harms the team by remaining eligible to play this year considering that Geno makes the final decision about whether she will actually play or not.
As a matter of fact, deciding to red shirt may actually extend her displeasure with her situaltion at UConn even more than if deciding to continue to remain eligible.
It may even be therapuutic for her to look forward to improving enough to practice & to work out on an individual basis as much as possible.

We really don't know all of the facts or how she's being advised by the staff & medical experts.
But I doubt that anyone wants to see her end her carreer or season prematurely if it can be avoided by simply remaining eligible.
She can always choose to quit the season if her situation doesn't improve, but that may only extend her long term pain if her situation at UConn stagnates.
She's probably trying to maintain her skills because she absolutely believes that can contrinute.
I doubt that anyone knows her situation better than she does since she's the only one who knows how much that she's improved since last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom