Caroline/Liv Update | The Boneyard

Caroline/Liv Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CD's situation is odd, to say the least.
No mention of any issues until she was kept out of a game.
Said to have suffered multiple hits to the head in previous games
Stated multiple times she did not have a concussion.
Stated multiple times she's "day to day".
Yet she hasn't felt well enough to play for over two weeks.
Concussion protocols don't normally last that long.
Whatever it is doesn't sound good for her future and that would be a terrible shame for her with the ability she's shown as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Hopefully having these next few days off can help with recovery for all players, especially these two ladies.
The head injury ( concussion ) protocol is pretty much expired and we ( fans ) still don't know what it is. They tell us it is not a concussion,. So is it a neck injury? Who knows. Olivia, if it is a groin injury, can be out 1-4 weeks, depending on the severity. But the next few games should be easily winnable with, or without her.

Reaction Score
The head injury ( concussion ) protocol is pretty much expired and we ( fans ) still don't know what it is. They tell us it is not a concussion,. So is it a neck injury? Who knows. Olivia, if it is a groin injury, can be out 1-4 weeks, depending on the severity. But the next few games should be easily winnable with, or without her.
Groins are tricky. Hopefully it’s mild and only one side. I’m sure she’s getting better care than I did.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember fouls being called when CD was hit in the head? It happened in 2 games and I cannot remember the fouls.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Groins are tricky. Hopefully it’s mild and only one side. I’m sure she’s getting better care than I did.
I pulled a groin muscle years ago in our softball league chasing a fly ball in left field. Miserable. I asked if I could switch positions with our first baseman figuring I wouldn’t have to run much. So we did and of course someone hit a foul pop up I had to chase and thought someone shot me in the leg. Out for three weeks. Impossible to wrap or anything. Hopefully Liv will be back soon.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Whatever it is doesn't sound good for her future and that would be a terrible shame for her with the ability she's shown as a freshman.
yeah. it's worrisome. ... gabby had her migraine issue but there could be any number of problems that could affect caroline's game long-term, like problems with balance etc ,,, the brain can be a mystery

maybe she'll be good as new in a few days and nobody will ever know what had caused the difficulties

Reaction Score
I had a groin injury that didn't heal for four years - of course, I was 68 when it happened, so probably not a good indicator.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
They said a couple of times on the broadcast that she has a “non-concussion head injury.” It’s a real diagnosis, and consistent with what’s been said above. It can result from multiple less-severe hits to the head.

As you said, they can be very cautious with her the next few games. Here’s hoping for the best.

Reaction Score
Caroline was seen vomiting on the bench after her last hit to the head in the Creighton game.

My (non-medical expert) guess is she is likely having some lingering problems with vertigo, balance and dizziness, which you don't want to take risks with. I know those can be lingering symptoms of a concussion, but again as a non-medical expert I suppose it may be possible you can have some lingering symptoms of a "non-concussion" head injury.

Just my speculation. Hope she's back Friday.

Reaction Score
Caroline was seen vomiting on the bench after her last hit to the head in the Creighton game.

My (non-medical expert) guess is she is likely having some lingering problems with vertigo, balance and dizziness, which you don't want to take risks with. I know those can be lingering symptoms of a concussion, but again as a non-medical expert I suppose it may be possible you can have some lingering symptoms of a "non-concussion" head injury.

Just my speculation. Hope she's back Friday.

OMG!!! I didn't know that. Vomiting can be a symptom of a concussion or other head injury. Announcers have said she's "still suffering from headaches." I don't know why the university won't just say she suffered one or more concussions. Unless they misdiagnosed her, and don't want to admit it. Can't imagine what other "head injury" she could have suffered, other than concussion(s). If she suffered a cracked skull or bleeding on the brain, she would have been hospitalized. Disturbing that she's displayed signs of concussion, but the university medical personnel won't be specific about what it is.

In any event, for her to be displaying these symptoms days after the trauma is disturbing. Hope she comes up symptom-free soon.

Reaction Score
I had a groin injury that didn't heal for four years - of course, I was 68 when it happened, so probably not a good indicator.
Needing a hip replacement starts with what feels like a pulled groin. Took me over 2 years to grt it diagnosed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I plan to watch the replay of the first DePaul game to confirm this, but if memory serves correctly, it looked like Caroline may have been hit in the head after landing in the lane and then again was hit in the head as she was going into the crowd.
But again, I could be confusing games...seems to be happening more frequently nowadays.

Reaction Score
Not sure about the”odd” part. She got hit in the head and seemingly had recurring headaches, which was shared publicly.
The proper precautions are being taken, which from my experience would be, simplistically, headaches go away, testing is conducted to clear her. Better safe than sorry prevails 100%.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The key is "normally." Players sometimes miss months with concussions. Somebody in the WNBA (Lexie Brown?) missed something like half the season with a concussion a year or two ago.

Reaction Score
Given the nature of Caroline's condition, I'm surprised that she would be traveling with the team and on the bench.
I mean, a physical injury like Paige's or even Liv's would not be an issue if they limit their exertion (Paige, stop jumping up and down!, Save it for the BE tourney)
With even a "non-concussion" head injury, loud noises, flashing lights, and other types of excitement could exacerbate the headaches, nausea and dizziness. Much as it's good to see Caroline with her teammates and participating in some form, wouldn't it be better if she stayed home and rested her noggin?
And, no, I'm not a neurologist.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have an increasingly low tolerance for this uninformed medical speculation. Few if any of us are MD's, and even if we were, we haven't examined the patients. So the tendency is to assume worst cases, based often on personal experience with an injury suffered much later in life.

May I suggest that we just zip it on these subjects? The players will return when they return.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I have an increasingly low tolerance for this uninformed medical speculation. Few if any of us are MD's, and even if we were, we haven't examined the patients. So the tendency is to assume worst cases, based often on personal experience with an injury suffered much later in life.

May I suggest that we just zip it on these subjects? The players will return when they return.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OMG!!! I didn't know that. Vomiting can be a symptom of a concussion or other head injury. Announcers have said she's "still suffering from headaches." I don't know why the university won't just say she suffered one or more concussions. Unless they misdiagnosed her, and don't want to admit it. Can't imagine what other "head injury" she could have suffered, other than concussion(s). If she suffered a cracked skull or bleeding on the brain, she would have been hospitalized. Disturbing that she's displayed signs of concussion, but the university medical personnel won't be specific about what it is.

In any event, for her to be displaying these symptoms days after the trauma is disturbing. Hope she comes up symptom-free soon.
What actually happened was that someone brought a trash barrel over to her in case she did have to vomit. It got a wry smile out of Caroline. No one actually saw her throw up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom