Caroline Deserves Tribute For Her Play Against KY | The Boneyard

Caroline Deserves Tribute For Her Play Against KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In view of the perennial theme on this forum about how Caroline is not contributing because her scoring is low and her mobility is limited, last night's game should be a case study.

She played 29 minutes, scored 3 points, had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover, and 1 steal. Not bad, but many of you would say that's not enough points.

But if you were at the game and were at all observant, you would not say that. What Caroline contributed last night was composure, against as much pressure as UConn has faced all year. Kentucky plays like Georgetown, only better. Caroline kept possession, made good decisions and good passes, and made it possible for the offense and her teammates to execute the scoring plays that they did have. The 21/23 ratio of assists to made baskets would not have been possible if she had blown up possessions with bad passes, bad decisions, or cough-ups of the ball.

Some have said that Brianna Banks should get many of Caroline's minutes. If Geno had done that last night, even for a few minutes, it would have been a good way to lose the game. Brianna, despite her potential, has shown no evidence of being presently able to operate the offense against that kind of pressure.

Reaction Score
In view of the perennial theme on this forum about how Caroline is not contributing because her scoring is low and her mobility is limited, last night's game should be a case study.

She played 29 minutes, scored 3 points, had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover, and 1 steal. Not bad, but many of you would say that's not enough points.

But if you were at the game and were at all observant, you would not say that. What Caroline contributed last night was composure, against as much pressure as UConn has faced all year. Kentucky plays like Georgetown, only better. Caroline kept possession, made good decisions and good passes, and made it possible for the offense and her teammates to execute the scoring plays that they did have. The 21/23 ratio of assists to made baskets would not have been possible if she had blown up possessions with bad passes, bad decisions, or cough-ups of the ball.

Some have said that Brianna Banks should get many of Caroline's minutes. If Geno had done that last night, even for a few minutes, it would have been a good way to lose the game. Brianna, despite her potential, has shown no evidence of being presently able to operate the offense against that kind of pressure.
+1

Reaction Score

Caroline played a solid game as did the rest of the team. Last night was truely a "team" win. Everyone that played contributed.

JS

Reaction Score
Caroline kept possession, made good decisions and good passes, and made it possible for the offense and her teammates to execute the scoring plays that they did have. The 21/23 ratio of assists to made baskets would not have been possible if she had blown up possessions with bad passes, bad decisions, or cough-ups of the ball.
I'll second that, if not your knock on Brianna.

I considered Kaleena's three from the left corner to be the dagger and played it back several times. Caroline got no assist, but it was she who made it work.

Anticipating the skip pass that Tiff eventually threw, Caroline put Kaleena's defender in jail near the paint with a perfect pick. By the time the defender got loose and sprinted toward the corner, KML could've done some of that on-the-go studying she talked about.

Reaction Score

JoePgh - my respectful view: Calm, please - your defensiveness is a little strong and seems inappropriately directed at BB as well as a few BYers. Caroline did a great job and fans recognize that. Celebrating that contribution is the right thing to do, and we all saw the players doing that at the end of the game. I have also been disappointed about some of the comments made about CD, but I just figure those comments are from a fan of another team who has infiltrated the BY to stir things up among the husky fans. Don't let those kinds of comments get under your skin. Do you think GA could really consider starting BB in place of CD next year based on evidence to date? Ain't gonna happen... Deep breath - don't let provocative comments intended to get under the skin of UCONN fans actually do that. Enjoy the moment, we are in the F4 and the commits all looked great tonight.

Reaction Score
JoePgh - my respectful view: Calm, please - your defensiveness is a little strong and seems inappropriately directed at BB as well as a few BYers. Caroline did a great job and fans recognize that. Celebrating that contribution is the right thing to do, and we all saw the players doing that at the end of the game. I have also been disappointed about some of the comments made about CD, but I just figure those comments are from a fan of another team who has infiltrated the BY to stir things up among the husky fans. Don't let those kinds of comments get under your skin. Do you think GA could really consider starting BB in place of CD next year based on evidence to date? Ain't gonna happen... Deep breath - don't let provocative comments intended to get under the skin of UCONN fans actually do that. Enjoy the moment, we are in the F4 and the commits all looked great tonight.
I don't see JoePgh's comment re Banks to be defensive or inappropriate. I wouldn't expect any freshman to be anything but what Joe indicated. Her time will come. I see no problem with Joe responding to comments objected to even if made by trolls.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't see JoePgh's comment re Banks to be defensive or inappropriate. I wouldn't expect any freshman to be anything but what Joe indicated. Her time will come. I see no problem with Joe responding to comments objected to even if made by trolls.
so why mention Banks... give Doty her praise without all the comparing to the teammate

Reaction Score
so why mention Banks... give Doty her praise without all the comparing to the teammate
Why praise Doty without praising everyone else on the team? Wouldn't not praising the others be a subtle condemnation? Besides, just following Geno's example. Seems to work for him.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Caroline is like the mechanic of an old piece of machinery who understands and sees how everything is supposed to fit together and work. Everything in its place and all the parts in proper time to one another. She has the wisdom and understanding that allows her to arrive at the right place at just the right place at just the right moment to oil the hesitent gear or whack the sticky rod. She is always moving but never rushes in comparison to the young assistant who is still overwhelmed by the whole thing and is rushing everywhere but often often in the wrong directions and is in the wrong place or the right place too soon. Caroline has internalized the whys and not just the whats. She frequently makes the pass before the assist or whacks the opponent at just the right moment to clear her teammate with a pick.

I said yesterday that Caroline's ball handling is very underestimated. She has a great handle. She is constantly shifting rhythms and positions to keep the defender off the ball and to maintain protective space. She goes between her legs or around her back so smoothly it almost goes unnoticed, always in rhythm and seldom rushed.

There will be moments when she isn't perfectly suited to the pace or type of game being played but they are fewer and fewer as her game has strengthened with her rehab and return to the court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Because mentioning someone, specifically, can give clarity to the reader as to the differences and why one is presently more effective than the other in what ways. Critiquing the strengths and weaknesses leading to the effectiveness or comparable ineffectiveness of individuals is not slamming either as good or bad, just a snapshot of skills and play at one moment in time.

Reaction Score
I'll just say this. We were giving up a lot of second chance points in the first half...So our little one legged honey badger mixed it in the paint and rebounded for us. And those were some tough rebounds.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'll just say this. We were giving up a lot of second chance points in the first half...So our little one legged honey badger mixed it in the paint and rebounded for us. And those were some tough rebounds.
Another example of her knowing where the machine of the team needed a little help.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Because mentioning someone, specifically, can give clarity to the reader as to the differences and why one is presently more effective than the other in what ways. Critiquing the strengths and weaknesses leading to the effectiveness or comparable ineffectiveness of individuals is not slamming either as good or bad, just a snapshot of skills and play at one moment in time.
Doty the "senior" vs Banks the "frosh".... anyone thats been watch UConn all season should know why Doty is in and Banks is out. No need for the "for those who say blah blah blah".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why praise Doty without praising everyone else on the team? Wouldn't not praising the others be a subtle condemnation? Besides, just following Geno's example. Seems to work for him.
this thread is about "Caroline Doty" and the wonderful job she did in the Elite 8 game against the University of Kentucky on 3/27/2012

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doty the "senior" vs Banks the "frosh".... anyone thats been watch UConn all season should know why Doty is in and Banks is out. No need for the "for those who say blah blah blah".
Clearly, DC, there are numerous folks on the board for whom it is not obvious given their constant belief that Caroline shouldn't have been starting, is a liability to often, doesn't score enough to be in the line up, etc, etc. Names will not be mentioned to protect ...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
oh ok, I missed all of that!
It has been a constant among a few during the season as was noted by the OP. it is, also, often part of the Kelly's scoring cut her minutes threads or KML must start threads.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Caroline is like the mechanic of an old piece of machinery who understands and sees how everything is supposed to fit together and work. Everything in its place and all the parts in proper time to one another. She has the wisdom and understanding that allows her to arrive at the right place at just the right place at just the right moment to oil the hesitent gear or whack the sticky rod. She is always moving but never rushes in comparison to the young assistant who is still overwhelmed by the whole thing and is rushing everywhere but often often in the wrong directions and is in the wrong place or the right place too soon. Caroline has internalized the whys and not just the whats. She frequently makes the pass before the assist or whacks the opponent at just the right moment to clear her teammate with a pick.

I said yesterday that Caroline's ball handling is very underestimated. She has a great handle. She is constantly shifting rhythms and positions to keep the defender off the ball and to maintain protective space. She goes between her legs or around her back so smoothly it almost goes unnoticed, always in rhythm and seldom rushed.

There will be moments when she isn't perfectly suited to the pace or type of game being played but they are fewer and fewer as her game has strengthened with her rehab and return to the court.

I like your metaphor about the mechanic, Ice.

I noticed many times during the game that Caroline was in just the right place at just the right time. She does, indeed, keep the Huskies' engine running smoothly.

Reaction Score
I suspect that I maybe one of the unnamed "doubters".

That being said, I have never doubted or questioned Caroline's grit or competitive spirits.

But, to me, there is a qualatative difference between bring the ball up the midcourt line and running the offense.

Bria runs the offense! (That isn't a negative against Caroline. It is just a fact.)

If anyone doubts that, I suggest that they take another look at the UK game during the period that Bria was on the bench.

Our offense effectively stalled.

Peace,

John Fryer

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I suspect that I maybe one of the unnamed "doubters".

That being said, I have never doubted or questioned Caroline's grit or competitive spirits.

But, to me, there is a qualatative difference between bring the ball up the midcourt line and running the offense.

Bria runs the offense! (That isn't a negative against Caroline. It is just a fact.)

If anyone doubts that, I suggest that they take another look at the UK game during the period that Bria was on the bench.

Our offense effectively stalled.

Peace,

John Fryer

I'd say this isn't entirely true.. Every time Caroline touches the ball, she's directing people.. She's not just dribbling, she's telling people where they should be.. Bria does this as well, so I'd say it's a shared effort of running the offense

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The offense was less effective with Bria on the bench because: (a) Bria's scoring talent was missing from the equation, which has nothing to do with Caroline's play; and (b) for most of that time, as I recall, Kiah was on the floor as a "twin towers" replacement for Bria, and Tiffany suddenly found that the passes that she had been making no longer had a receiver in place. I suspect this has to do with Kiah's lack of instant-access knowledge of positioning against the press, which again has nothing to do with Caroline.

Caroline handled the ball as much or more than Tiffany, Bria, or Kelly when she was on the floor. To have 4 assists and only 1 turnover against that pressure is a major accomplishment, and was crucial to the victory. (UConn as a whole had 19 turnovers to UK's 10.) To say that she just brought the ball up to the mid-court line grossly minimizes her contribution.

Reaction Score
Bria's a point guard. And Bria can run an offense well.

But she's also our best scorer, and it's much easier for her to score when she's playing off the ball. I suspect Caroline plays a lot because Bria needs the help.

Reaction Score
Caroline bringing the ball over the half court line against any team, let alone one who pressures like Kentucky, allows Bria to jog up the court and conserve energy. This allows Bria to be fresh late in the game and her offensive game benifits. Bria is not at her best when having to do all the conventional jobs of a PG, although she does some well. She imo is a true combo guard who can do a lot of the jobs that both guard positions require. Caroline is a major factor in Bria's success on the court because she allows Bria to do the thngs she does best.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Caroline bringing the ball over the half court line against any team, let alone one who pressures like Kentucky, allows Bria to jog up the court and conserve energy. This allows Bria to be fresh late in the game and her offensive game benifits. Bria is not at her best when having to do all the conventional jobs of a PG, although she does some well. She imo is a true combo guard who can do a lot of the jobs that both guard positions require. Caroline is a major factor in Bria's success on the court because she allows Bria to do the thngs she does best.
And Bria has said as much in several interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom