Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton

Reaction Score
I really would love to see how JC would have handled Carlton.
Does anybody ever notice he gets double-teamed practically every time he gets the ball inside. I think his biggest problem is how to efficiently take care of the ball—whether he can pass off or shoot. Defensively, his foot work is not bad but it’s not quite good enough for how fast some of these other guys can be.

Reaction Score
Agree that not having Sid hurt. Carlton has to play with Sid out. Just wish it could be less minutes, but there really isn't another option right now. I just hope Hurley is telling Cliff and Caldwell that even with Javonte Brown Ferguson on board, there are plenty of minutes to be had if they're willing to compete.

Reaction Score
Move on to the Whaley era at the 5, give him the starting role for the rest of this year(and maybe next). He has earned it.

Correct. Whaley, regardless of skill level, brings effort and intensity. He’s very active on defense and seems to position himself well for rebounds. I know he’ll never be a scoring option for us but he’s more than serviceable as our starting 5.

Reaction Score
Did we get the ball to Carlton in the box once?

He jogs down the floor on fast breaks so he's not there long enough to get him the ball. Hard to blame him for the loss except for his foul trouble.
Carlton only played 12 minutes, shot 1 for 2 for 2 points, 5 rebounds and an assist and 2 TO's.
Akok in 30 minutes had 3 points on 1 for 7 from the field and 1 for 2 at the line, 0 assists, 2 TO's and only 2 blocks and those were in the first couple minutes.
Gaffney in 26 minutes had 0 points on 0 for 6 shooting, 2 rebounds, 0 assists and 4 steals.
Gilbert in 22 minutes was 4 for 8 for 10 points (2/3 on 3's), 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals.
Hard to blame Gilbert for this loss either.
If Gaffney and Akok had any kind of games this was a win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You sell this to Big Cliff 24 hours a day.

I hate playing what-ifs but every time I see Kofi’s name come up it hurts.

Today, Clark Kellogg listed Kofi and Precious as two of his five impact freshman. Might have been as meaningful a recruit for us as Chief was predicting, both for games/wins and for building a recruiting resume for Hurley. Same for Precious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anybody ever notice he gets double-teamed practically every time he gets the ball inside. I think his biggest problem is how to efficiently take care of the ball—whether he can pass off or shoot. Defensively, his foot work is not bad but it’s not quite good enough for how fast some of these other guys can be.

I mean, as a junior you need to know to pass out of a double team before you take 2 dribbles looking directly at the floor.

Also, you need to jump to score in the post...

I’ve been one of the biggest Carlton supporters there is...but my god talk about putting a Prius engine in a Ford F-150

Reaction Score
We really miss his offensive rebounding in the half court since we can't score in the half court whatsoever (although Whaley has picked up his oreb% in conference play). I wish his feet knew how to move one at a time so we could play him more.

Reaction Score
Correct. Whaley, regardless of skill level, brings effort and intensity. He’s very active on defense and seems to position himself well for rebounds. I know he’ll never be a scoring option for us but he’s more than serviceable as our starting 5.
and you know what Whaley is just way way quicker with his feet and is a more mobile player period. id rather have whaley at the 5 starting 100 times out of 100

Reaction Score
and you know what Whaley is just way way quicker with his feet and is a more mobile player period. id rather have whaley at the 5 starting 100 times out of 100
I'm happy for Whaley in that he discovered what he is good at - causing turnovers on opponents screens. Unfortunately, we discovered that he is just as proficient at causing turnovers on our screens.

Reaction Score
Whaley gets sold short. I’ve begun thinking the only thing holding him back is minutes. He’s a great weapon on defense and he’s getting a good share of points picking up scraps. He’s a pretty good player and it would be smart to develop the hell out of him as fast as we can.

Reaction Score
The thing that is most glaring is his lack of speed and explosion. The style Hurley is implementing is all out all the time. Speed in transition and speed on defense. Scrambling. He's a plodder. Slow and methodical. Unfortunately for him, this league (AAC) and the next will have Bigs that can move and his issues will only magnify. Big East Bigs also step out behind the 3 pt line. I still think he can be a serviceable big for us because he is strong but he needs to get off his feet and finish everything with a dunk. Too much finesse in his game. If he starts going that, we are talking about finishing through contact and staying on the floor. Missed layups really irk Hurley.

Reaction Score
You would think that if you can't dunk the ball the coaches would make sure you could score with some pump fakes. I've seen many bigs with limited hops and power use their smarts to do that successfully.

Reaction Score
Let’s be respectful and appreciate JC for giving what he’s got to give. It’s just time for him to play limited backup minutes. He can bang against a few big bodies and that’s about all we should expect.

Reaction Score
You would think that if you can't dunk the ball the coaches would make sure you could score with some pump fakes. I've seen many bigs with limited hops and power use their smarts to do that successfully.
With the shot blocking ability of Memphis, shot blockers like to jump and leave their feet. I was calling for the bigs to give head fakes all game! Can't say I recall seeing them do it at all during the game. Get them off their feet and don't let them jump with you. Get them off balance create more fouls and better chances for you to score around the rim. He's too predictable.

Reaction Score
Carlton is 6'10 and that's why he plays. It sounds obvious, but it's true. The fact that he has a fairly wide frame and soft hands doesn't hurt. His basketball IQ is there even if his skill set is not. I think he was coached pretty well at Demaha Catholic and I can see why his sturdiness may have appealed to Ollie after coaching Brimah all those years.

Everything else about his game is utterly unremarkable (which puts him in the same category as almost everyone else playing college ball).

Classic high floor, low ceiling player that typically ends up at an upper mid-major or lower p5 school.

Reaction Score
Carlton is 6'10 and that's why he plays. It sounds obvious, but it's true. The fact that he has a fairly wide frame and soft hands doesn't hurt. His basketball IQ is there even if his skill set is not. I think he was coached pretty well at Demaha Catholic and I can see why his sturdiness may have appealed to Ollie after coaching Brimah all those years.

Everything else about his game is utterly unremarkable (which puts him in the same category as almost everyone else playing college ball).

Classic high floor, low ceiling player that typically ends up at an upper mid-major or lower p5 school.
If he could just get mean and resilient on the court, he would be a decent big for us. If he got mean and quicker with the feet, he would be very good. Unfortunately it's not the case but he will have his moments. Whaley is the better option against most of these AAC teams, but he gets into foul trouble a lot, and with Wilson out we will see Josh on the court.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In a thread last week I said we didn't need Whaley to start, just play a lot of minutes. While I still don't think we need to have him start per se, he's more than earned it.

Reaction Score
Josh won the Most Improved Player in the conference last season. He seems to have reached a ceiling though as his points and rebounds are almost exactly the same as last year, averaging about 9 and 6. I figured we could count on 12 and 7 this season, but that won't happen with games of 2 and 0 points in the mix.

Josh needs a Big Man's camp this summer. I am still optimistic that he will improve and have a good Senior year.

Reaction Score
The more important stats:

TOs: 1.6 v 2.4
FG%: 60% vs 50%

9 and 6 would be okay if he didn't turn the ball over constantly and barely clear 50% from the field as a guy who hasn't taken a jumper in his career.

Reaction Score
Does this mean your officially backing off your stance that cliff wouldn’t want to come here because he wouldn’t necessarily start over Carlton?

Reaction Score
Does this mean your officially backing off your stance that cliff wouldn’t want to come here because he wouldn’t necessarily start over Carlton?

Never said wouldn’t want to come here. I said having 2 centers already on the roster will deter some recruits, regardless of how good the other centers on the roster are.

Reaction Score
"We who look with critic eye
exempt from actions crucial test
human ourselves, at least are wise
in honoring one who does his best"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members