Carlton off the bench | The Boneyard

Carlton off the bench

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
First off, please don't read this as "BENCH CARLTON". That's not the point I'm making. We all know the season he's had, so I won't bother going through all of that. However, there are times where he gets into a good rhythm, then gets 2 quick fouls and it's goodbye Charlie until the second half. We have two options at this point: keep up what we've been doing, or start Whaley instead. Granted, Whaley is just as prone to quick fouls, if not more so, than JC. Plus he gets less respect from the refs. However, a high energy guy could be better for setting the tone from the get-go. In the process, Carlton can watch from the bench, figure out what approach he needs to take, and then come in and be the guy who keeps things steady when its time for Whaley/Akok to hit the pine for a while. Akok is another high energy guy who is good at establishing things early on. I'm hoping Hurley is true to his word about not starting Akok being just a one game deal.

AG has been playing much better since taking on the reserve role and I don't think it's a coincidence. I'm not making the argument that the bench in and of itself will transform a guy, but it does create a different feel going into the game and a different mindset to go along with it. Anyone here who has played on a basketball team in both roles can attest to that. For some, it improves focus and cuts down on falling into bad habits. As the old saying goes, it's not about who starts the game, but rather who finishes, as far as their importance to the team. I don't see bringing Carlton in off the bench as a demotion or smaller role on the team; just a potentially more effective usage of a guy who is presently struggling to find his game.

Reaction Score
Why does Carlton black out when he gets the ball down low, or near the basket? Its like the basketball has a huge magnet in it, and the rim is grabbing it.

Just curious on why can't a big in 3 years learn to pass out of double teams, or when the shot is too difficult. Its not like he has Joel Embid skills. Perhaps he's over confident, but still seems to black out.

Its frustrating to watch and seemingly correctable. Could this be a real case of it being Johnnie Selvie's fault?

Reaction Score
First off, please don't read this as "BENCH CARLTON". That's not the point I'm making. We all know the season he's had, so I won't bother going through all of that. However, there are times where he gets into a good rhythm, then gets 2 quick fouls and it's goodbye Charlie until the second half. We have two options at this point: keep up what we've been doing, or start Whaley instead. Granted, Whaley is just as prone to quick fouls, if not more so, than JC. Plus he gets less respect from the refs. However, a high energy guy could be better for setting the tone from the get-go. In the process, Carlton can watch from the bench, figure out what approach he needs to take, and then come in and be the guy who keeps things steady when its time for Whaley/Akok to hit the pine for a while. Akok is another high energy guy who is good at establishing things early on. I'm hoping Hurley is true to his word about not starting Akok being just a one game deal.

AG has been playing much better since taking on the reserve role and I don't think it's a coincidence. I'm not making the argument that the bench in and of itself will transform a guy, but it does create a different feel going into the game and a different mindset to go along with it. Anyone here who has played on a basketball team in both roles can attest to that. For some, it improves focus and cuts down on falling into bad habits. As the old saying goes, it's not about who starts the game, but rather who finishes, as far as their importance to the team. I don't see bringing Carlton in off the bench as a demotion or smaller role on the team; just a potentially more effective usage of a guy who is presently struggling to find his game.
Tomorrow the crowd will be the deciding factor if we fans want it to be.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think of the bench is worthy of a try.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can do that today. That kid for Cincy is way to big and strong. He'll score at will against smaller guys. Question is can Carlton stay out of foul trouble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nope. Carlton’s best minutes often come at the beginning of games. I want Josh out there. If we can get him the ball early and get him going it makes us a much better team. Whaley is the better guy coming off the bench and bringing energy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Carlton hate is ridiculous, and not remotely based on analysis or facts. Basically, a bunch of you don't like that Carlton is not a super-athlete, therefor you think he sucks even though the data tells a different story.

How do we do on defense against quality bigs when Carlton is riding the pine (both Tulsa games)? How do we do against quality bigs when he plays a lot (Xavier)

Reaction Score
The Carlton hate is ridiculous, and not remotely based on analysis or facts. Basically, a bunch of you don't like that Carlton is not a super-athlete, therefor you think he sucks even though the data tells a different story.
Interesting argument when the only player with a lower ORating on the team is Jalen Gaffney.

Reaction Score

How do we do on defense against quality bigs when Carlton is riding the pine (both Tulsa games)? How do we do against quality bigs when he plays a lot (Xavier)
Here’s a fact for you, Tyrique Jones had 17 points and 11 rebounds, with 5 turnovers and 0 fouls against us.

Carlton had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 5 turnovers, and 5 fouls. Josh played 27 minutes and fouled out.

Based off the games you cited, it looks like a good center is gonna have his way with us whether Carlton is on the bench or not.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Did you miss igbanu drawing all those fouls on Josh? I'd love to see the analytical pro Carlton argument, if you wouldn't mind.

Reaction Score
Did you miss igbanu drawing all those fouls on Josh? I'd love to see the analytical pro Carlton argument, if you wouldn't mind.
There isn't one.

Carlton has the second lowest ORating, third lowest Assist% and highest TO%. It is extremely fair to call him a black hole on offense. Besides size, he really doesn't bring anything to the team other than an adequate shot-blocking ability.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

If that's how my post came off, I didn't word it very well. I'm not saying Carlton is a bad player. I just think he has the potential to be a better player, for the time being, if used in a different way. That being said, I agree with the poster who said we had to start him today. Whaley doesn't have the size to guard a guy like Vogt down low.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom