Carla/D3 | The Boneyard

Carla/D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#11 Tufts lost in the first round of the NESCAC tournament (first time the conference's #1 lost to a #8), but still managed to be a host for the opening rounds of the NCAAs next weekend. They will play St Lawrence and then New Paltz St/#17 Babson winner.

The winner of that "pod" will face the winner of the Amherst pod (#6 Amherst/Farmingdale St - Bridgewater St/U New England) in the sweet 16.

Along with those 5 New England teams, there were 6 more:
- #15 Williams & Emmanuel are in the Rochester pod
- Smith & Colby-Sawyer are in the #9 Southern Maine pod
-Regis is in the #19 Lebanon Valley pod

#1 is undefeated DePauw (Indiana)

Reaction Score
Tufts cruised 57-32 in the opener. Next up vs #16 Babson in the 2nd round tmow.

#6 Amherst, #15 Williams, Smith also won.

Tough opening round as the #4, #7, #8 teams lost.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tufts is 24-2. Unfortunately, one of those losses is to conference rival Amherst, which is 27-1. Lets see if the Jumbos can get the last laugh this season.

People talk as though Jen Rizzotti is a shoo-in for Geno's job when he retires but I think Carla's name needs to be in the conversation. What she's done at Tufts has been remarkable.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Carla could be a possible hire when Geno retires, but IMHO it won't happen if she remains at Tufts. She's got to get experience at a higher level and prove that she can recruit. From what I've read, Carla has had opportunities to go elsewhere, but has chosen to remain at Tufts. Possibly she's content where she is and doesn't want to have the stress and additional hours that it takes to coach at a Div 1 school.

Reaction Score
Tufts is 24-2. Unfortunately, one of those losses is to conference rival Amherst, which is 27-1. Lets see if the Jumbos can get the last laugh this season.

People talk as though Jen Rizzotti is a shoo-in for Geno's job when he retires but I think Carla's name needs to be in the conversation. What she's done at Tufts has been remarkable.
Have to strongly disagree with you here. A d3 coach might be a nice hire for a low level d1 school, but NO way the top program in WCBb should be hiring one. No experience with coaching high quality players nor with recruiting. I'd say a top parochial HS coach would even be more prepared.
And if you're looking at d3 coaches, the place to start is Amherst's GP Gromacki. He has the second highest winning percentage among all college coaches ever, trailing only Leon Barmore.

But NESCAC is a good gig. Good salary, great institutions, and you get to work with extremely smart kids. No scholarships, minimal recruiting, and relatively short seasons.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Carla has already been an assistant at a Division I school and if Geno thought he might retire in a couple years, he could bring her in as an assistant. She's got the tools and the rep, imo.

Reaction Score
Carla has already been an assistant at a Division I school and if Geno thought he might retire in a couple years, he could bring her in as an assistant. She's got the tools and the rep, imo.
As an assistant first, ok. But UConn will not be hiring the tufts coach to come in as the new head coach.

Reaction Score
#11 Tufts beat #16 Babson by 20 to advance to the sectionals against #6 Amhert which beat the Jumbos earlier this year
The other game will be #19 Messiah (PA) vs Widener (PA)
Games will probably be at Amherst. Winner goes to final 4 at Holland, MI

Reaction Score
Amherst led the entire game and got the lead up to 8 with 11:30 to go. After that, Amh made just one more basket and Tufts cut the lead to 2 twice ... but couldn't get any closer. Amherst was 18-21 from the FT line and hung on 47-42. They will take on unranked Widener which upset #19 Messiah.

Just 3 top 10 teams in the final 8:

-- Widener (PA) at #6 Amherst (MA)
#2 Hope (MI) at #22 WI-Whitewater

#17 Christopher Newport (VA) at #1 DePauw (IN)
-- Whitman (WA) at #15 Williams (MA)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Things may have changed but I remember that several years ago Berube said that she is very happy at Tufts and is coaching at the level she wants.

With that said, I don't see an elite D1 school hiring a D3 coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Things may have changed but I remember that several years ago Berube said that she is very happy at Tufts and is coaching at the level she wants.

With that said, I don't see an elite D1 school hiring a D3 coach.
D1 schools might well hire a D3 school. A top 5 D1 school hiring a D3 school coach is a different story.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
D1 schools have hired high school coaches, coaches without experience, D2 coaches, NAIA coaches... all with a variety of results.

On both the men's and women's sides, there just aren't that many superb, all around coaches. Sometimes you have to take a risk.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Former Div 2 coach Joe Frager is now head coach of Fairfield. It was a good hire as too many schools settle for rehiring "established" coaches that were a flop elsewhere. It's too easy to hire those folks than do some research into high school, Div 2 or Div 3 coaching ranks and find a potential hidden gem there, a la Brian Giorgis.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Joe Frager was Div 2 Coach of the Year at SCSU when he was hired at Fairfield.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Nice to see 2 New England teams in the D3 final 8...Amherst and Williams.

Reaction Score
Amherst advanced to its fifth straight final four. Will play #22 WI Whitewater which stunned #2 Hope, the host for the final four.

Undefeated #1 DePauw faces #15 Williams in the other semifinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom