Carla Berube Has a New Coaching Job | The Boneyard

Carla Berube Has a New Coaching Job

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Big Honor for Carla. Could lead to a Div 1 job if she was interested.
I think her performance at Tufts could lead to a Div 1 job if she was interested. :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Does anyone know why she chooses to not take any of the D1 positions? (Don't get me wrong....I'm a huge admirer of Tufts).
Is it the school? That she loves D3? Or that she wants to stay in the Boston area?
If the latter, I still maintain that when the long-term contract at Boston College becomes palatable for the administration to eat, she would be the perfect candidate there.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Does anyone know why she chooses to not take any of the D1 positions? (Don't get me wrong....I'm a huge admirer of Tufts).
Is it the school? That she loves D3? Or that she wants to stay in the Boston area?
If the latter, I still maintain that when the long-term contract at Boston College becomes palatable for the administration to eat, she would be the perfect candidate there.....

In her own words from the interview http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ube-transforms-d-iii-tufts-national-contender

With no athletic scholarships, Division III affords student-athletes the opportunities of typical college students, in addition to playing sports. Berube boasts about her players getting the opportunity to hold internships over the summer that will prepare them for a career, and a chance to participate in other extracurricular activities on campus -- things she didn't have the opportunity to do at UConn due to the time commitment of being part of the team.

"To represent Tufts is something they take a lot of pride in. They're smart, strong, motivated, they love the game of basketball but also have a lot of interests on campus. Not just their majors but activities," Berube said. "That's the great thing about D-III basketball, they really can have a great balance of college life.

"When they take to the court, they're passionate about it and want to get better every single day. They play for their university, the program and each other, and I think that shows in the way we play day in and day out. There's something really pure about D-III athletics and you can see it when we're playing out there."

And Berube isn't interested in leaving anytime soon, though every winning season brings more whispers that she's a candidate for a D-I coaching job. While still very much a demanding job, coaching at the Division III level allows her to spend time with wife, Meghan, and their two kids, 3-year old Parker and 4-month old Brogan, and be involved in other things at Tufts.

"I'm happy right here, right now," she said. "Who knows down the long road, but I'm not a 'the grass is greener on the other side' type. It's pretty green right here."

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would not be one bit surprised if Geno had a hand in Carla's last summer job with USABasketball....and then with that door opened Carla seized the opportunity to get this new gig. Hmmm...wonder if any of the kids trying out for the 16U team are targets of UConn????

Reaction Score
Wasn't she a teammate of my favorite all time uconn player ... Pam Webber?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In her own words from the interview Berube transforms D-III Tufts into national contender

With no athletic scholarships, Division III affords student-athletes the opportunities of typical college students, in addition to playing sports. Berube boasts about her players getting the opportunity to hold internships over the summer that will prepare them for a career, and a chance to participate in other extracurricular activities on campus -- things she didn't have the opportunity to do at UConn due to the time commitment of being part of the team.

"To represent Tufts is something they take a lot of pride in. They're smart, strong, motivated, they love the game of basketball but also have a lot of interests on campus. Not just their majors but activities," Berube said. "That's the great thing about D-III basketball, they really can have a great balance of college life.

"When they take to the court, they're passionate about it and want to get better every single day. They play for their university, the program and each other, and I think that shows in the way we play day in and day out. There's something really pure about D-III athletics and you can see it when we're playing out there."

And Berube isn't interested in leaving anytime soon, though every winning season brings more whispers that she's a candidate for a D-I coaching job. While still very much a demanding job, coaching at the Division III level allows her to spend time with wife, Meghan, and their two kids, 3-year old Parker and 4-month old Brogan, and be involved in other things at Tufts.

"I'm happy right here, right now," she said. "Who knows down the long road, but I'm not a 'the grass is greener on the other side' type. It's pretty green right here."

Thanks much, I must've missed that story earlier in the winter. Get her reasons can appreciate. To paraphrase the late, great Warren Zevon, sometimes you're "Lookin' for the next best thing..." Continued good luck to her and the Jumbo's!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am such an admirer of Carla and how she "comports" herself both on and off the court. She sounds like she has such a terrific head on her shoulders and I'm just so proud that she represents the University of Connecticut. Congrats to her for the new "gig".

Count me among those who feel that she would be a leading candidate for literally any Div 1 job (were there an opening), should she have the desire. She's proven consistently that she can win NC's with with no budget, no fluff to offer the student-athletes, and that she can get great kids who work hard and become the best they can be under her guidance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So Geno, Jen and now Carla. That's quite a USA Basketball coaching tree.

Reaction Score
The first UCONN game I ever watched was during the Carla era. Her style of play is what got me hooked. That chance encounter was the catalyst to spending endless hours of viewing and, of course, enjoying the interchanges on the BY. Have a lot to thank her for and wish her nothing but the happiness she deserves, whether it be D-1 or D-111 .

Reaction Score
Count me among those who feel that she would be a leading candidate for literally any Div 1 job (were there an opening), should she have the desire. She's proven consistently that she can win NC's with with no budget, no fluff to offer the student-athletes, and that she can get great kids who work hard and become the best they can be under her guidance.

I am also a big Carla Berube fan and think she would be very good in a D1 job. However before some get too carried away, it is not really accurate to say she has "no budget". Tufts is a large school and their expenditures on women's basketball put them in the top 10% of D3 schools. It is nowhere near what most D1 schools spend, of course, but she is at least on a par with her peers and is ahead of most of them when it comes to finances.

Reaction Score
She was definitely one of my favorites on those early Uconn teams. She seemed to have a good head on her shoulders even though she seemed very quiet and not demonstrative.

Reaction Score
About time USA basketball started hiring D3 coaches for these positions. They have nothing in the game, since they can't offer scholarships, but run their programs exactly like D1 schools vis a vis training, practice, etc., and the worst D3 coach is most likely better than 98 per cent of the high school pool. Let's hope this becomes the rule instead of the exception.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: I saw Carla play in the Massachusetts high school D2 championship game in Worcester. Her team [Oxford?] won pretty easily and Carla had about 30.
She played primarily as a post-up center and was excellent in the paint. At UConn her game was much more varied due to our needs...she did whatever
Geno felt necessary...she was instrumental in our getting that First Ring.

Plus...the crowd chant of 'Berrrrrr...uuuuuu...beeee' was darn cool.
Toss in the equally cool chant of 'Amy doesn't foul' whenever some ref dared to call one on Duran.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom