Carla Berube’s Princeton at Yale this Friday | The Boneyard

Carla Berube’s Princeton at Yale this Friday

Reaction Score
If you live in the New Haven area I thought you might be interested in seeing Carla’s nationally ranked Princeton team against Yale this Friday at 6 p.m. Princeton is 17-1 with the only loss being in OT to Iowa. Yale is 15-4 with one of the losses at UCLA and a win over North Carolina in Chapel Hill. Tickets are general admission with no reserved seats and the price is right at 5 bucks. It might not be a bad way to spend a February evening.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was on the UConn podcast a couple of weeks ago with Bob Joyce, Geno and Carla. Carla invited him down to the game as a Valentine's Day gift to Kathy. Geno did say, "Well, we don't leave for Florida until Saturday", so there's a chance Geno may be there! While I would like to make the drive up to New Haven (Sally's Apizza!), I am not sure if with the traffic I can make it in time. Should be a good game, Yale is pretty good this year-Beat North Carolina (helping @triaddukefan out!).
I will watch the game on the iPad though if I don't make it there.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
After a rough start in which they were down 10-0
Carla's Tigers wore down the Yale kids and their defense tightened against the early speed and
Penetration of Yale.

Final 55-36 Carlie Littlefield provided the O with 20 points.
Bella Alarie had a quiet game as she was closely guarded by Yale, which featured a defensive scheme which frustrated the Tigers and kept the score down. But in the end, the Tigers had too much fire power.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Princeton already had the nation's #1 scoring defense, and they've only widened their lead by holding Yale to 39 points.

1581729900373.png

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Carla's offense looked a lot like Geno's, featuring drives around the high post ending in layups (ideally), floaters, or kickouts to the corner for a 3-point attempt. Just the kind of thing that Christyn does against man defenses. As with UConn, it often takes several attempts from opposite sides to get enough penetration to generate a good shot.

On another topic, I was a bit disappointed with Bella Alarie's performance. I was surprised to learn that she had been dropped from ESPN's Top 25 player list, but after seeing her, I can't say that I disagree. She seemed a bit slow, did not shoot well, and got 4 fouls. I don't think she is a strong candidate for the WNBA.

Finally, I was slightly surprised that for the entire part of the game that I saw (I got there late, early in the second quarter), there were always ten white chicks on the floor. The entire Princeton bench appeared to be white, and there was only one African American player on Yale's bench. Stanford always has a number of black players despite their academic requirements and need-based (possibly less than full) scholarships. I wonder why Princeton and Yale aren't able to do that.

Reaction Score
It was nice being able to get to the game shortly before tipoff and get a seat at center court 7or 8 rows back. Shortly after I arrived Kara and her daughter got there and sat in the row in front of me. Kara was constantly pointing out things to her daughter during the game. They were lingering after the game along with the folks behind the Princeton bench presumably to greet Kara’s teammate Carla.
I hadn’t seen Bella Alarie before and clearly this wasn’t one of her better outings with 9 points shooting only 3 for 14. Much of the game she was matched up with Camilla Emsbo who is listed at 6’5”. The Yale website said she was a 5 star recruit ranked 34th by ESPN. She had 10 points and 7 rebounds and I thought she did pretty well against Alarie.
I chatted briefly with Kara who was very friendly. I’ve been a fan for 25 years and never met any players until a few weeks ago when I met Kelly Faris at the airport. So now I have two favorites in a very short period. I guess I’m on a roll !

Reaction Score
Carla's offense looked a lot like Geno's, featuring drives around the high post ending in layups (ideally), floaters, or kickouts to the corner for a 3-point attempt. Just the kind of thing that Christyn does against man defenses. As with UConn, it often takes several attempts from opposite sides to get enough penetration to generate a good shot.

On another topic, I was a bit disappointed with Bella Alarie's performance. I was surprised to learn that she had been dropped from ESPN's Top 25 player list, but after seeing her, I can't say that I disagree. She seemed a bit slow, did not shoot well, and got 4 fouls. I don't think she is a strong candidate for the WNBA.

Finally, I was slightly surprised that for the entire part of the game that I saw (I got there late, early in the second quarter), there were always ten white chicks on the floor. The entire Princeton bench appeared to be white, and there was only one African American player on Yale's bench. Stanford always has a number of black players despite their academic requirements and need-based (possibly less than full) scholarships. I wonder why Princeton and Yale aren't able to do that.
Why so enamored with race these days Joe

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On another topic, I was a bit disappointed with Bella Alarie's performance.

Following the Ivy to some extent, your observation about mostly to all Caucasian players is spot on. I have no explanation what is causing and don't like It at all. Let's see if Carla's recruiting changes that.

Re Bella: She had the least effective game I can recall since I started watching...I remain confident that she has a future at the next level.

Reaction Score
Following the Ivy to some extent, your observation about mostly to all Caucasian players is spot on. I have no explanation what is causing and don't like It at all. Let's see if Carla's recruiting changes that.
Out of curiosity I checked the rosters of the Yale, Princeton and Harvard men’s basketball teams and it’s quite different. African Americans are 10/15 on Yale, 7/17 on Princeton and 12/19 on Harvard.

Reaction Score
No attack JoePgh but you dropped the ball, traveled, carried and stepped out of bounds on this one!
While you are trying to be humanity sensitive and feigning empathy for players of color, you describe the players as ten white chicks on the floor. Maybe a time out to read between your own lines..... ;) [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
No attack JoePgh but you dropped the ball, traveled, carried and stepped out of bounds on this one!
While you are trying to be humanity sensitive and feigning empathy for players of color, you describe the players as ten white chicks on the floor. Maybe a time out to read between your own lines..... ;)
[/QUOTE]
That phrase was intentionally edgy, but I stand by it. It is an allusion to the Broadway play entitled "A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking", which (per Google) ran on Broadway in the very early 1980's. Apparently there is also a 2004 movie entitled "White Chicks".

The Broadway play starred Susan Sarandon and Eileen Collins.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
you describe the players as ten white chicks on the floor.
[/QUOTE]

Joe nailed it...He observed an outrageous panorama and brought it forcefully to our attention with a vivd portrayal, equally outrageous and non PC (to garner maximum attention). Bravo Joe...wonderful writing.

We should be much more concerned with how the heck the ivy league is permitting woman's varsity sport to be Lilly-White as opposed to the silly question as to whether Joe offended anyone...Pardon Me!

Reaction Score
Good writing for effect, Joe. The fact that someone tried to call you out on it only underscores the point you were trying to make.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Carla's Tigers dismantled Brown (a bottom of the Ivy team) this early evening 85-48

The Brown kids had a nice run in the third period with a bunch of 3's falling and a bunch of penetrations working...showing some promise for the future but otherwise were manhandled by the Tigers.

Bella Alarie has still not completely found her shooting touch (2nd game) but defended and rebounded ferociously.

Four players (2 starters, 2 bench) scored in double figures led by Littlefield's 19 on 7 for 11.

This team will be a tough out in the regionals

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This team will be a tough out in the regionals
It won't be a shock if Princeton gets sent as a 6 or 7 seed to Storrs.

Reaction Score
That phrase was intentionally edgy, but I stand by it. It is an allusion to the Broadway play entitled "A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking", which (per Google) ran on Broadway in the very early 1980's. Apparently there is also a 2004 movie entitled "White Chicks".

We should be much more concerned with how the heck the ivy league is permitting woman's varsity sport to be Lilly-White as opposed to the silly question as to whether Joe offended anyone...Pardon Me!

Joe again no attack, I just think you stubbed your toe with that comment. To dig up a forty year old Broadway play and a 2004 PG rated movie after the fact does not justify anything, this is 2020.
It may be just me and if so I apologize but chicks is a word of controversy being slander / antiquated slang in most cases. I have music by The Dixie Chicks and also The Blues Broads but these are older people deciding their own label. Nothing like young college aged ladies who I am sure would prefer / deserve a different label.

msf, you are very cordially pardoned. You play maestro and jump in defense of a well deserved brethren. Hopefully you are aware I stated this is not an attack just a difference of opinion on a comment. You took that on to another topic altogether but we can simply address both.

(Names changed to protect the innocent) We have Tom A Princeton dad in the stands in full garb pregame, along comes Joe in full Yale garb. Their seats are side by side, Tom all excited exclaims "my chick is #10 what number is your chick?" "My chick?" "Yea which one is your daughter?"
"Joe explains first of all my daughter is not a chick and does not play basketball," second my wife is one of the women of color on the Yale staff. Welcome to 2020....
2019-20 Women's Basketball Roster - Yale University

Reaction Score
Joe Pgh, after seeing a player for one game, you're suddenly an expert. How about looking at Bella's career. She'll make it to the WNBA. Will she be a star? That is to be determined.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's official, they're top-25

Nice Carla piece in the daily Princetonian.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I chatted briefly with Kara who was very friendly. I’ve been a fan for 25 years and never met any players until a few weeks ago when I met Kelly Faris at the airport. So now I have two favorites in a very short period. I guess I’m on a roll !

I stop by to chat with Kara at halftime so if I had known who you were I would've said hi.

Reaction Score
I stop by to chat with Kara at halftime so if I had known who you were I would've said hi.
Sorry we didn’t get to meet. Maybe when Princeton comes to play at Yale next year we can have a gathering of BY members from the New Haven area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom