Carl Crawford | The Boneyard

Carl Crawford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going to visit Dr. Andrews to have his elbow examined. That is usually good news.

Reaction Score
Going to visit Dr. Andrews to have his elbow examined. That is usually good news.
I don't know about that. We'll find out if it is good news soon enough.

Reaction Score
Good news for who - Yankee or Rays fans? I think we are going to hear next that Carl needs surgery on his elbow and will miss all or most of the season.

Reaction Score
Just send him to the same Doc gave Yankees green light on Pineda's physical and get him on field already. He's not a pitcher, Andrews only move is to order Tommy John surgery for $1MM

Reaction Score
Crawford to miss 3 months with elbow condition. Add this with an arthritic wrist and we might be soon talking about the worst contract in the history of baseball.

Thankfully the Yanks were never serious about signing him.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Crawford did pass that physical and the contract is insured and a write-off at this point. Crawford just used up the last benefit of the doubt Sox fans were willing to give him. Unless he comes back (in 3 months, w-o-w) and immediately lights the house afire he's done in Boston.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Crawford did pass that physical and the contract is insured and a write-off at this point. Crawford just used up the last benefit of the doubt Sox fans were willing to give him. Unless he comes back (in 3 months, w-o-w) and immediately lights the house afire he's done in Boston.

Why do you say this? He hasn't done anything wrong to rile up the fans. It isn't like he has shown up out of shape or said stupid or insulting things in the media...

Reaction Score
Crawford to miss 3 months with elbow condition. Add this with an arthritic wrist and we might be soon talking about the worst contract in the history of baseball.

Thankfully the Yanks were never serious about signing him.
The fact that the Yankees needed a left fielder probably caused the Sox to pay way too much for Carl. It is always easy to look back in retrospect at contracts and be critical. Some work out and some don't. Carl had a solid career with the Rays and was a reasonable decision for Boston. He was a player that hit for average, had way above-average speed, had shown some power and was a solid fielder. He also had a good work ethic and was a good teammate.

Even the signing of Lackey was a reasonable decision in my opinion. He had a solid career with the Angels and had the reputation of a guy who wanted the ball in the tough games.

Some of the worst Sox deals involved Eric Gagne and Bobby Jenks. Both of these relievers had lost their fastballs when drug testing became more prevalent. They were overweight and washed up and there was no excuse for acquiring them.

Reaction Score
Why do you say this? He hasn't done anything wrong to rile up the fans. It isn't like he has shown up out of shape or said stupid or insulting things in the media...
1. He is massively overpaid. Not his fault I suppose but unavoidable fact at this point.
2. He stunk at any price last year, swung at bad pitches, was resistant to listen to constructive criticism (his screwed up batting stance). Then in the offseason said the critics were right and his approach was flawed* (a WEEI interview in Feb).
3. Waited until January to have wrist surgery. January. W-T-F
4. Now he's having this second physical issue with his elbow. To his credit maybe because he tried to rush back after surgery. Or to his detriment he rushed back after the surgery because he knew he needed to atone for and felt guilty over waiting wayyyyyyyyy too long to have the surgery.
5. His contract along with a few other stupid ones has prevented the Sox from getting pitching help, signing Papelbon, etc...

http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/carl-crawford-says-wrist-is-better-still-not-cleared-to-swing-bat.html

Reaction Score
1. He is massively overpaid. Not his fault I suppose but unavoidable fact at this point.
2. He stunk at any price last year, swung at bad pitches, was resistant to listen to constructive criticism (his screwed up batting stance). Then in the offseason said the critics were right and his approach was flawed* (a WEEI interview in Feb).
3. Waited until January to have wrist surgery. January. W-T-F
4. Now he's having this second physical issue with his elbow. To his credit maybe because he tried to rush back after surgery. Or to his detriment he rushed back after the surgery because he knew he needed to atone for and felt guilty over waiting wayyyyyyyyy too long to have the surgery.
5. His contract along with a few other stupid ones has prevented the Sox from getting pitching help, signing Papelbon, etc...

http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/carl-crawford-says-wrist-is-better-still-not-cleared-to-swing-bat.html

Points 1 and 5 have nothing to do with Crawford. He was offered a huge deal and took it. Most of us would do the same. When fans get on a player for this it drives me nuts. Jump on management for that.

I believe your second point is somewhat related to his injury as Maddon has said that TB knew of his wrist issues. That being said, yes, he sucked last year.

I believe the team knew of his wrist injury in November and it was their call to hold off on surgery.

You make some real interesting assumptions in your fourth point. By interesting I mean huge leaps.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Crawford is a bum. Can't believe any Sox fan is carrying his water.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Crawford is a bum. Can't believe any Sox fan is carrying his water.
and He's a bum, why? - Sorry that the guy has yet to live up to your expectations.

Reaction Score
Fans cannot boo the management, especially when they are in Chicago.

But certainly the management gets it if/when Crawford hears it, but so what? We all (including management) thought we were getting an exciting, athletic and dynamic player and so far the results are the opposite.

Fact is Crawford signed a deal for too much money. I think he should have known himself better and stayed in Tampa or somewhere less intense for a little less. Some guys crave the big city, bright lights and huge contract and others are ill-suited for it. 500 days into the Crawford tenure he is an epic failure, still time to revive but questioning why fans would be angry with a guy who hasn't produced any better than a AAA prospect in a Boston uniform is bizarre. Bottom line his productivity as a member of the Boston Red Sox has made no one happy other than teams that didn't sign him.

Reaction Score
Honest question, if he had signed for 7 years, $2 mil/year would you be this upset?

If not, then be upset at the contract, not the player. I'm never going to get on a player for taking all the money he can, where ever he can. Should Pujols have taken less money? He's off to a horrible start in LA.

Reaction Score
What exactly is 'this upset' ? I haven't personally boo'd the guy (he hasn't been on the field anyway) just let out some hot air on the internet. Its not the money per-se, although that factors in because its resources that aren't available for someone else. Also there is a reaction to the 'hype' and expectations that are incubment with the money and contract. So yes, if a guy came in for $2M per year (not to mention if that somehow meant you were stuck with him for 5 more years) and was supposed to hit .300+ and steal 40 bases, score 100-ish runs BUT instead came in and hit .255 with a dismal .289 OBP and .694 OPS and scored only 65 runs while stealing only 18 bases - YES I"D BE PISSED AND I'D SKEWER HIM ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS - HE HAS SUCKED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom