Care to predict UConn seed in the NCAA tourney? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Care to predict UConn seed in the NCAA tourney?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In 1997 Tennessee had 10 losses going into the NCAA's and got a 3 seed based on the return of injured players.
This is not really true. They got a 3 seed because they still had a bunch of wins over strong teams, even amid all those losses. Their schedule was ridiculously tough that year. But yes, the fact that most of the losses occurred with key players injured was surely a factor as well.

UConn's best wins right now are over Notre Dame and South Florida. It remains to be seen whether beating Oregon would even be considered much of a quality win. A ton is going to ride on the Tennessee game, assuming we can't pull a stunner in Columbia.

Reaction Score
While I continue to be positive about UConn's chances once the NCAA's start, I can see a Covid issue, 1-2 injuries, etc. contributing to multiple more losses. I would forecast Huskies being a 3 seed should no issues develop; a 4 otherwise. Pity the higher seed that draws UConn in their bracket.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Idle thoughts...maybe addled thoughts
Assumptions - big assumptions:
  • Nika & Azzi return with no more foot issues
  • Paige & Aubrey do not return
  • Geno against all that is holy will inexplicably continue to play CW and Evina many more minutes per game than the max of 22-24 minutes per game they should play
  • Amari and Piath will get no opportunity to develop since they will be sitting on the bench
  • Geno will sit Caroline in favor of Azzi thus stunting her continued development
  • Dorka will continue to improve
UCONN will complete the season no better than 23-10 losing the Big East title and tourney to DePaul. In the NCAA tourney UCONN will be a eight seed just because they are UCONN. They go 1-1 in the NCAA tourney finishing the year 24-11.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  • Geno against all that is holy will inexplicably continue to play CW and Evina many more minutes per game than the max of 22-24 minutes per game they should play
  • Amari and Piath will get no opportunity to develop since they will be sitting on the bench
  • Geno will sit Caroline in favor of Azzi thus stunting her continued development
UCONN will complete the season no better than 23-10 losing the Big East title and tourney to DePaul. In the NCAA tourney UCONN will be a eight seed just because they are UCONN. They go 1-1 in the NCAA tourney finishing the year 24-11.
:eek:Did you run ANY of this by @Carnac?
my-bs-detector-is-on-mitchell-moffit.gif

Reaction Score
I think they lose to Tennessee, SC, and 1 game to Depaul. Maybe lose to Oregon as well, if the Ducks are healthy. This team can’t score, and they need to score from the perimeter to open keep the defense from clogging the paint.

If Paige is out, I think it will be a 5 seed. They jump to a 3 if Paige comes back.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the old version of the tourney
4 played 13
then the winner of 5/12
Not sure of the new arrangement...
It means (perhaps) that the game that Geno says is often the most difficult
may be moved up one notch to the first regional game.

Not impossible so far...

Reaction Score
Barring some sort of collapse in conference, SC is getting a 1-seed.

Stanford has two losses, but I don’t think is likely to stumble more than once in conference. Even if they lose to SC tonight, I’d predict they’ll be a 1.

I think NCST will be a 1.

I think both Arizona and Louisville are likely to take a couple hits to Stanford and NCST, respectively.

I think UConn could very realistically push for the final 1-seed.
I have to disagree. We will not be a #1 seed this season. I don’t see us beating SC and possibly Tennessee without Paige. Also, our conference doesn’t help us at all in terms of seeding. We would need a lot of help from other teams for us to make a push for the final #1 seed. I say lowest is a 4 seed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In the old version of the tourney
4 played 13
then the winner of 5/12
Not sure of the new arrangement...
It means (perhaps) that the game that Geno says is often the most difficult
may be moved up one notch to the first regional game.

Not impossible so far...
Unless something has changed, it is still like that ,and yes, if we are a four we will have to play #1 in the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Unless something has changed, it is still like that ,and yes, if we are a four we will have to play #1 in the sweet 16.

Actually, the #1 has to play us. Whomever it is will not be happy and will be complaining.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking a 3 seed so we don't catch the #1 seed in
the bracket early, But.... does it matter.? I agree with
the comment = you still have to win 6 games!
I remember when the U of Arizons mens' team
had to beat 3 number one seeds to win the NCAA
championship. Does Spring 1996 or 1997 sound correct?

Reaction Score
Watching the game from section 104, which is just above the UConn bench, I was tempted to yell at Paige to go home and rest that leg. Every time out she had to get up, then sit down, then get up, etc. I know she wants to root on the team, but she could have done that one row back so she could just sit. And then, watching the replay of the game and seeing her taking 3 pt shots on one leg, god almighty, I don't see that there is any chance she won't be back this year.
The newest thing following bone related surgery is to get the patient up soon after surgery to keep the joint moving and monitor inflammation generated by activity. After my second total hip replacement surgery in nine weeks [glad I only have two hips....], I was up walking in four hours after surgery was completed. If Paige was up and down with no grimace and with ease [understanding she probably has a robust adrenal system] and no additional inflammation the next day - NO WORRIES!

I like Paige's chances to be back 2 games prior to the BE Tournament to check her timing and endurance in limited time (like pitch count in baseball) at full speed competition. She then goes onto being the BE MOP as the team wins by larger margins with each game and wins by 20+ pts in the BE Final and earns a #3 seed to be on the opposite side of the Bridgeport bracket from either Louisville or Maryland.

Reaction Score
Although predicting when medical issues are resolved, and individuals are cleared for full participation in practice and regain endurance to go full speed in competition is nearly impossible, I am predicting nonetheless [and summoning my inner Carnac].

Nika is the first to be back in the line-up in time for the Georgetown game [1/5/2022]. Azzi will be a game-time decision for Georgetown [she wants to be ready, but I predict she will be in the lineup for the Creighton game at Gampel [1/9/2022] and shoots 5 for 8 from 3 pt range in her first game back, and her foot problem(s) does(do) not reoccur all season].

In the meantime, Evina gets back to shooting 35% from 3 pt range and AE goes 5 of 7, and 6 of 8 against Marq & DePaul, Dorka (2) and ONO (1) both get double-doubles for two wins to end 2021.

The ball movement, defense, and team chemistry continue to improve as they pass the test vs. Oregon by 9 points, and return to the TOP 10 as #9, as Oregon knocked off AZ in their previous game.

Aubrey's back issues are resolved and she returns to the lineup just in time for a tough game against Seton Hall, and she plays lockdown defense for the last 5 minutes in the first half AND the second half to pull out a six point win at home at Gampel [1/21/22].

Although, the Huskies have a dissapointing 3 point loss in overtime vs South Carolina in Columbia, the seniors take it personally, and knockoff a higher rated Tennessee by 11 at the XL center to earn the #6 ranking (which still does not mean a thing), as Tennessee and Louisville are still ranked above UCONN, with SC, AZ, & NC State fill out the top five.

Although, DePaul & Marq are within ten (still wins for the Huskies), the rest of the schedule are not within 12 points the rest of the way. Although Paige is a game-time decision for the Georgetown (2/20/2022) and does not play, she comes back vs. St John to score 20+ as do Azzi & Caroline for the largest MOV of the season so far. With a 25+ point win over Providence, the Huskies finish with four losses.

With the Omicron variant having only one death in the USA (so far with the only one in Texas who had four major comorbidities), and South Africa's [where Omicron was first detected] infection rate over 30% above the Delta variant, they have ZERO fatalities, and altough hospitalization rates about the same, moderate cases are being admitted compared to only taking serious conditions during the Delta variant, I am predicting that only two games are cancelled by our opponents due to CoViD-19 protocols - NOT due to issues with our fully vaccinated team [players, coaches, & support staff].

This puts the UCONN record at 25-4, and even with a sweep of the conference in the regular season and the BE tourney, their 28-4 record only gains a #3 seed [despite Muffett's preceived bias TOWARDS UCONN {fake news}], but they are in the Bridgeport Region, and gain the Final Four with a hard-fought Regional Final which prepares them well for their run to the NC with the entire roster available since the start of the NCAA tourney. The good news is also that South Carolina is on the opposite side of the FF bracket with AZ.

UCONN beats Stanford by seven, and then beats SC by five for the 12th NC, and finish the season at 34-4, but Geno is still three wins behind Tara for top spot in career wins, but wins the Ciera Toomey recruiting battle, and Geno & CD earn contract extension through 2030...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure it matters. For one, no Paige. She will not be back this season. For two, Nika and Azzi seem pretty fragile, so not sure what kind of longevity they will have after they come back. I don’t think Azzi has been the same since she was injured in High School. For three, I think everyone knows the seniors on this team, well, sorry, but they’re just not going to get it done. Where does that leave the team? Sounds negative, but, unfortunately, I think I’m spot on. I think UConn may win the Big East but may lose in the Big East tournament. Unless a DePaul meltdown like last year. Still don’t know what the heck happened there……..

Bottom line. Seriously doubt this team gets passed the Sweet 16. Highly doubtful.

Reaction Score
This right here. Unfortunately, I think the chances of Nika and Azzi having no more issues is slim to none, and slim left town.

Reaction Score
seed doesn't mean anything to me,
if our goal is champion,that's mean we need to all win
so we just win all and get the champion

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member