Care to predict UConn seed in the NCAA tourney? | The Boneyard

Care to predict UConn seed in the NCAA tourney?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Idle thoughts...maybe addled thoughts

Trying to hitch realism with TonyC's optimism here.

I assume Azzi and Nika are back in late December and are gradually in the mix...with good health come March.
I assume Paige will be back in mid-February with a gradual intro to the rotation and ultimately by mid-March the starting line-up.
Aubrey....just a huge question mark as to her return.
Piath: assume she will be back...whether in the regular rotation or not.

Our performance in The Dance will be far, far more affected by our health than our seed. I'd much rather even a bizarrely low seed with health than a one seed with players out.

We are 6-3. 3 OOC games left...at Oregon/home to LadyVol/at South Carolina. I'd love to win 2 of those and given our late December returners I think that is no more
than 'reasonably optimistic'. We could lose 2 of 'em.

Somewhere in the Big East we might stumble once...maybe twice....not in the BE tourney.
So: we have 22 regular season games to go...probably 3 in the BE tourney.
Say we finish around 28-6.

Seed? Maybe a 3? As long as we are a top 4 seed we host the first weekend. Hopefully we advance...to Bridgeport for regionals.
Other top seeds? No way they send Stanford way east. No way they put South Carolina as a one seed in Bridgeport....put 'em in the North Carolina city...Greensboro?
Maybe they would put NC State/Maryland/Louisville as a one seed in Bridgeport? Several others are at least possible. Will that one seed be extremely unhappy about
their placement? For sure.

I'm hoping for....not necessarily expecting...a storybook year for the good guys...with #12 as the final prize. Regardless... it is our players and our
team...go Huskies!

Idle [or addled] speculation for sure....hey...we have a long break of no games till home to Marquette on December 29....and The Boneyard is a 365 days a year deal.

Reaction Score
I can see a #3 regardless of how we perform in our remaining out of conference matchups.
Unfortunately, hard to make a real move upward playing in the BE.
UConn wins the conference regular season as well as the BE tourney.
Goes into the NCAA’s as a #3, meets (and beats) #1 in the bracket in the elite eight.
After that—crapshoot.
Above:
With Nika and Azzi.
Without Paige.
I think she is done for the season.
JMHO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Idle thoughts...maybe addled thoughts

Trying to hitch realism with TonyC's optimism here.

I assume Azzi and Nika are back in late December and are gradually in the mix...with good health come March.
I assume Paige will be back in mid-February with a gradual intro to the rotation and ultimately by mid-March the starting line-up.
Aubrey....just a huge question mark as to her return.
Piath: assume she will be back...whether in the regular rotation or not.

Our performance in The Dance will be far, far more affected by our health than our seed. I'd much rather even a bizarrely low seed with health than a one seed with players out.

We are 6-3. 3 OOC games left...at Oregon/home to LadyVol/at South Carolina. I'd love to win 2 of those and given our late December returners I think that is no more
than 'reasonably optimistic'. We could lose 2 of 'em.

Somewhere in the Big East we might stumble once...maybe twice....not in the BE tourney.
So: we have 22 regular season games to go...probably 3 in the BE tourney.
Say we finish around 28-6.

Seed? Maybe a 3? As long as we are a top 4 seed we host the first weekend. Hopefully we advance...to Bridgeport for regionals.
Other top seeds? No way they send Stanford way east. No way they put South Carolina as a one seed in Bridgeport....put 'em in the North Carolina city...Greensboro?
Maybe they would put NC State/Maryland/Louisville as a one seed in Bridgeport? Several others are at least possible. Will that one seed be extremely unhappy about
their placement? For sure.

I'm hoping for....not necessarily expecting...a storybook year for the good guys...with #12 as the final prize. Regardless... it is our players and our
team...go Huskies!

Idle [or addled] speculation for sure....hey...we have a long break of no games till home to Marquette on December 29....and The Boneyard is a 365 days a year deal.
Good thought topic Blake, but this is a question that's posed too far out. Why?.......too many things can transpire between now and then. There can be a shift in either direction good or bad. Everyone can come back in a month healthy and balling like they never left. UConn can finish the season on a 12 game win streak and go into the tournament on a roll playing their best ball of the season, or........Paige and Aubrey don't come back at all, Nika does but is ineffective and Aaliyah is not able to regain the level of play she attained as a freshman.

Our team leaders can go either way......play like All-Americans or become "magicians." We don't know and can't fathom a guess right now. We have no criteria to go on. We all hope they are playing better at the end of February than they are now. That remains to be seen. We just fell out of the top 10 for the first time in decades. Do we continue to fall, or have we bottomed out? Again, things can get much better or much worse.

I doubt we fall so far down that we fail to get an at large bid. Right now, there's no guarantee we win the BE Tournament this year. You can't predict how healthy we will be (remain) by then. Any responses you get this week will be nothing more than Champaign wishes and caviar dreams, but we have to have something to talk about until play resumes. :cool:

To answer your question, I'd say no lower than a 4 seed, assuming we don't stumble through BE play. Remember, the gap has closed. Other teams (P5 - Texas, Duke, Michigan, LSU, etc) will be playing as well or better that won't win their conference championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is that we drop the game to SC and maybe one BE Game. But I'd be surprised if we finish with more than 5 losses. A low 2 or high 3 seed seems appropriate.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Why try to predict?

A lot of games and a lot of variables to consider. So I will not predict except to say UConn will make the tourney.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think the seeding is nearly as significant as the the region. The committee would have to be brain dead to place UCONN outside of the Bridgeport Region. UCONN can remain a top 16 seed over all by beating Oregon @ Oregon and running the table in BE play.

Reaction Score
My guess is that we drop the game to SC and maybe one BE Game. But I'd be surprised if we finish with more than 5 losses. A low 2 or high 3 seed seems appropriate.
Completely agree. There are only 2 or 3 BE teams with a chance of beating us once Azzi and Nika are back. Can't see us beating SC. I would say most likely 2 or maybe 3 more losses, and see us as a 2 or 3 seed, and being a 2 vs 3 seed is almost irrelevant.

Can't wait to hear the 1 seed in BPT complain about getting us as a 2 or 3 basically at home/

Reaction Score
I can see a #3 regardless of how we perform in our remaining out of conference matchups.
Unfortunately, hard to make a real move upward playing in the BE.
UConn wins the conference regular season as well as the BE tourney.
Goes into the NCAA’s as a #3, meets (and beats) #1 in the bracket in the elite eight.
After that—crapshoot.
Above:
With Nika and Azzi.
Without Paige.
I think she is done for the season.
JMHO.
Unfortunately, this is one time I agree with you. I’m thinking it’s highly unlikely we see Paige in a UConn uniform again this season. Obviously, I would love to be wrong! If she could truly be 100% healthy in time to play the NCAAs I would be ecstatic! However, that imo is highly improbable. The important thing obviously, is that she is completely healthy when she steps back onto the court again!

Reaction Score
Beat Tennessee. Lose to SCar. Run the big east table. Paige returns and blow out the Big East tourney. 2 seed and outside, though pretty remote, possibility of one seed. Depends on performance of other teams but I see 2 seed as doable.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Completely agree. There are only 2 or 3 BE teams with a chance of beating us once Azzi and Nika are back. Can't see us beating SC. I would say most likely 2 or maybe 3 more losses, and see us as a 2 or 3 seed, and being a 2 vs 3 seed is almost irrelevant.

Can't wait to hear the 1 seed in BPT complain about getting us as a 2 or 3 basically at home/

Or the #1 seed in Bridgeport having to face a #5 seed basically at home in the Sweet 16 :eek:;):cool::D:p:)

Reaction Score
Barring some sort of collapse in conference, SC is getting a 1-seed.

Stanford has two losses, but I don’t think is likely to stumble more than once in conference. Even if they lose to SC tonight, I’d predict they’ll be a 1.

I think NCST will be a 1.

I think both Arizona and Louisville are likely to take a couple hits to Stanford and NCST, respectively.

I think UConn could very realistically push for the final 1-seed.

Reaction Score
Barring some sort of collapse in conference, SC is getting a 1-seed.

Stanford has two losses, but I don’t think is likely to stumble more than once in conference. Even if they lose to SC tonight, I’d predict they’ll be a 1.

I think NCST will be a 1.

I think both Arizona and Louisville are likely to take a couple hits to Stanford and NCST, respectively.

I think UConn could very realistically push for the final 1-seed.
Well, we might end up all playing in another bubble this year so the difference in a 1 and 2 seed might not matter - again

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think between a 1 and 4, most likely a 2 or 3. But we need wins over Tennessee and Oregon to move up. Or else, we need the teams ahead of us to lose multiple games. I'm thinking we may have at least 6 losses in the regular season, but we could have only 3 or 4. There is a ton of talent on the bench injured, and Dorka and Caroline are making an impact. The seniors will need to really step up too. Can they? I'm taking it one game at a time. An impressive win against Marquette will really help. A loss or a nail-biter will suggest that the whole season could be a slog.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is one time I agree with you. I’m thinking it’s highly unlikely we see Paige in a UConn uniform again this season. Obviously, I would love to be wrong! If she could truly be 100% healthy in time to play the NCAAs I would be ecstatic! However, that imo is highly improbable. The important thing obviously, is that she is completely healthy when she steps back onto the court again!
Watching the game from section 104, which is just above the UConn bench, I was tempted to yell at Paige to go home and rest that leg. Every time out she had to get up, then sit down, then get up, etc. I know she wants to root on the team, but she could have done that one row back so she could just sit. And then, watching the replay of the game and seeing her taking 3 pt shots on one leg, god almighty, I don't see that there is any chance she won't be back this year.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that UConn would be as low as a 4 if their players return. It would force a 1 seed to play them in the S16. The only 1 seed who would get that treatment from the committee is UConn themselves.

In 1997 Tennessee had 10 losses going into the NCAA's and got a 3 seed based on the return of injured players.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that UConn would be as low as a 4 if their players return. It would force a 1 seed to play them in the S16. The only 1 seed who would get that treatment from the committee is UConn themselves.

In 1997 Tennessee had 10 losses going into the NCAA's and got a 3 seed based on the return of injured players.
That’s a good point. I think the committee can make discretions on account of player availability. It harmed Baylor a few years ago when Kristy Wallace was injured but has helped teams in the past. And I’m not sure who makes more of a difference to her team than Bueckers.

Reaction Score
I think between a 1 and 4, most likely a 2 or 3. But we need wins over Tennessee and Oregon to move up. Or else, we need the teams ahead of us to lose multiple games. I'm thinking we may have at least 6 losses in the regular season, but we could have only 3 or 4. There is a ton of talent on the bench injured, and Dorka and Caroline are making an impact. The seniors will need to really step up too. Can they? I'm taking it one game at a time. An impressive win against Marquette will really help. A loss or a nail-biter will suggest that the whole season could be a slog.
Tennessee might be a tough go, but UConn should beat Oregon fairly easily imo. Oregon has tons of talent but the chemistry and discipline haven’t been there. A handful of losses to unranked teams as an unranked team themselves (whereas UConn’s loss to GT was at least somewhat absolved given GT knocked off UGA the same week and re-entered the poll).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Paige comes back in some resemblance of past form,
be it even until the Big East tourney

I don't give a rats ...what our regular season record is or even our final ranking is:
3? 4? 5?...not in Bridgeport?

Geno has always said...You have to win 6 games.
Having 2 gimee's in Storrs is no big deal; doesn't really help the team that much.

With Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Dorka with an improving Aaliyah
and the seniors to (hopefully) help...

This could be a formidable team come March...if the pieces fall into place.

Reaction Score
I have noticed a few games being cancelled or postponed every day. Today, 25 games were cancelled or postponed and 42 games were played. Given this trend, the likelihood of enough healthy teams to compete in a NCAA tournament is decreasing rapidly. So, I think seeding is not the issue; having healthy teams to play the games is the issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom